For years Prairie Guy and I have had a heart for discipleship. We've known that it is an integral and vital aspect of the christian walk, both to BE a disciple, following in the footsteps of the Master, and to disciple, as He commanded His followers to do. "Go now and MAKE disciples." were His words.
Of course, not having had anyone who took us under their wing to disciple us, and having put so much energy into seeking to be good disciples ourselves, we were always left scratching our heads about the practicalities of discipling others. Where do you start? How do you proceed? We have long been on the lookout for a resource that could be practical and helpful in pursuing this great commission of discipleship.
Well stop the press, I do believe we found it. After finishing "The Life You've Always Wanted" by John Ortberg, which is truly the most practical and inspiring book I have ever read on the spiritual disciplines, I went to the Christian Bookstore with the sole purpose of seeking out a book on systematic discipleship. A book that would walk a body through, step by step, the doctrines of the christian faith from start to finish. A primer for a life of spiritual growth if you will. Sound lofty? Sound impossible? Yeah, I didn't have high hopes, but it was what I was hoping and praying for.
And folks, I do believe I found it. Please bear with me while I "freak out" with excitement over my new book.
It's called The Daily Discipler and it is written by Neil Anderson. The back of the book reads;
"We all have busy lives, and the pace seems to be getting faster. Daily demands can easily crowd out what is truly important and essential for our spiritual growth and health...
Reading this practical discipler five minutes a day, five days a week, for one year will give you exposure to a comprehensive and very practical course of systematic theology. Following Paul's outline for growth in Colossians 2:6-7, part I will help you get firmly rooted in Christ. You will learn who you are in Christ and who God is, plus other critically important foundations for your faith.
Part 2 teaches you how to grow in Christ and overcome anger, anxiety, depression and fear. You will earn how to live by faith in the power of the Holy Spirit.
Part 3 teaches you how to live in Christ and be a good steward of what He has entrusted to you.
Part 4 teaches you how to overcome in Christ the enemies that strive to keep you from living like a child of God, namely the world, the flesh and the devil.
Bring. It. On.

6 comments:
Dear Dutchy,
One of the best books I have reed is. Celabration of Discipline, by Richard Foster. It was for me a challenge and still is to get my own discipelship on a deeper level.
Great to read your exitement about the book. Niel Anderson have written some very good books. I shall check it out in the bookshop. So your bookpush is working :-)
Greetings and love from us all to you and your family
Neil Anderson is a good teacher. Will have to check the book out. Twice now in the last week John Ortberg's book has been brought to me attention - that one must be next on my list to read.
Rene, Foster's book is super intense, I liked it. alot. I read it many years ago. Ortberg's book is like Foster and Willard (Dallas Willard) for everyday folk who find intensity overwhelming. I think he refers to himself in the introduction as having been deeply impacted by both Foster and Willard.
As for this new book, it's very different. It's not about "disciplines" so much as "discipleship". Of course, discipleship REQUIRES discipline, but it is more than the discipline, it is the fruit that grows out of the discipline. Follow?
I love talking about this kind of stuff. Most people are like, discipleship? what's that? but it is our commission as believers, not only to BE disciples but to MAKE disciples. I think lack of relational and practical discipleship has been the weak point in the north american church of this day and age.
Nancy, you won't regret it. Not a moment of it. I bought my own copy (I can count on one hand the number of christian books I have purchased in the past 10 years, they have to be REALLY resourceful) so I can spend the next year slowly, slowly returning through it and seeking to implement the truths that are illuminated in it.
This sounds awesome! In your opinion, is this something we could do as a family with our teens? Let me know what you think. I'll have to take a look at the book - I already have a trip to the bookstore planned for this week.
TOTALLY Dawn. We are going to do it as a couple right now, but I can totally see doing it with our older kids, in a mentoring relationship, or in a small group situation, anything like that. Check it out!
Post a Comment