Saturday, September 11, 2010

It's Complicated

Just when I was ready to fall into a familiar and happy fall routine my world kind of got dumped on its head.  On Monday I started bleeding and was sent into the hospital for tests, Tuesday found me at the radiologists in hopes that they would find the source of the bleeding, and all week has been one of many questions with no answers.  My doctor was away and I never seemed to speak to the same person twice, and always on my own initiative (noone was calling me) and until yesterday I was completely in the dark and felt like I was wandering around in no man's land without an advocate.  The ultrasound tests I took on Tuesday morning weren't signed off on until FRIDAY morning and noone could give me an answer one way or the other until they knew the results of those tests.  It was very emotionally draining.

Finally my doctor was back and I had an appointment to see him first thing yesterday morning only to get there and find out that he had just been called away to labor and delivery.  I literally felt the tears well up and felt I couldn't spend one more day in the dark.  Thankfully another doctor in my clinic had a cancellation later that morning and took me in, and by that time my ultrasound report had FINALLY been released and he was able to give me some answers and counsel.

So it turns out that I have a very low lying placenta.  1.8 cm from my cervix with the baby laying transverse right on top of it.  Not good.  The tests weren't able to show conclusively where the bleeding was coming from (because I wasn't bleeding at that moment, but have bled once daily since Monday,  flow... not spotting), but it is possible it is coming from pressure on my placenta which is a common occurence with placenta previa. 

Practically speaking I am supposed to take it easy, avoiding all lifting or straining, or any jarring movements, but if things don't change in the next three weeks it will get more serious.  This pesky placenta needs to move out of there and get back in its proper place or I will find myself being ordered on bed rest and then later a scheduled c-section.  Would appreciate prayers that neither of those things happen.  (Well, I don't care about the c-section so much, but I really can't imagine the thought of 5 months of bed rest).

So that's where I've been and that's where I'm at.  Very thankful to at least know what is going on, and that it is not something more serious, but it is still pretty serious for a busy momma of 5 (with a dear extended family of 6 staying with us until they find housing and work)  to immagine the possible repurcussions of this complication. 

Love to you all.

24 comments:

K-Sue said...

Praying for you, your husband, your 6 children, and the family staying with you. My heart goes out to you.

Heidi said...

I'm praying for the baby's health and your well-being. You are loved.

Berry Girl said...

Oh Nic! Thank you for the update - I was debating calling or not calling, didn't want to add any stress but wanted to know how things were going. I'm sorry it's been such a brutal week for you - no answers can be so frustrating, I'm glad you have some even if they're maybe not the ones you want.
Praying for no bedrest and a healthy full term baby. And peace for you, and rest.
I love you.

Chris said...

I echo everything above. Call me when you have a minute and we'll work out some details.

Linda said...

Dear Sweet Girl,
I will be praying earnestly for you - for all of you.
I pray that the Father will touch you in a miraculous way and that within the next couple of weeks all will be well. In the meantime, let Him hold you close and rest in Him. There are others who want to be used by Him to bless you and care for you.
Love to you Nichole.

Linda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dawn said...

Hi Nic... I've been praying for you and hoping for an update. Will continue to pray for you, this new little life and your family.

Rest... physically and in HIS hands.

Mac an Rothaich said...

Love you so much and praying for you and baby! I pray you find the strength to take it easy on yourself too! Let everyone else do more super mom! The Lord is hearing all the prayers from those who love you guys so much and he loves you more then us and all our prayers! BLESSINGS TO YOU IN THE NAME OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST!

René and Hanneke Bosman said...

Dear Dutchy,

Thanks for you update. I can amagine that you were in the dark because you did not know what was going on. Dear Dutchy we are praying for your health and shall pray to our father that he will guide you through this time with that special miracle. Be blessed with His grace. And know when you are feeling in 'the dark', tired, weary or what else. Know that we are standing next to you in bringing you, Pietro and your kids before God in prayer. And as you know Dutch is the heavenly languge ;-)
Much love from us all.
Greetings René and Hanneke

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry you are going through this, I hope and pray the Lord will move your placenta to a safer location and that your bleeding would halt...please Papa, please....

((hugs from Oklahoma))

Unknown said...

So glad you finally got some answers. Praying, praying, sweet one, that the God of healing will watch over you and little one.

Anonymous said...

So sorry you are having these troubles. You and your baby are now in our daily prayers. God bless you and your precious family.

Joy said...

Oh my P Chick,
I am so sorry to hear all the news, so thankful though that we serve and amazing God, the great Physician. I will pray for you, ask prayer for you and continue to keep you in my prayers daily, that the Lords will be done in yours and the babes life.
There will be grace to make it through this trial, there will strength, strength to walk another mile, there will be hope when I've done all I can, so glad to know its in the Saviours hands!!!
Praying for you some peace, comfort and strength
Joy
wish I was to where I could help, bring over some food, help with the kiddos...but for now I will just pray...
((((hugs)))))

Melanie said...

So glad to hear baby is okay and praying that placenta moves up where it's supposed to be ASAP.

Bev K said...

I'm praying for you as well Nichole - may God grant you peace and health through this pregnancy.

Suzy said...

This *does* sound complicated. What an awful thing to be having to deal with. I will pray while I run.

Leanne said...

May God be your comfort when you are down, your strength when you are weak & your peace during this trial. Praying for you & baby, sweet friend. Find some good books & rest in His love. :-)

Tricia said...

I will be praying for you! I saw that you were in the hospital right before I went into the hospital and had wondered how you were...

I had to have an abdominal hysterectomy due to severe endometriosis and my colon was involved so they had to take 6 inches of my colon. I was in the hospital for 8 days and am now home. I am recovering but it is slow and at times frustrating. I was having severe pain from the endometriosis that pretty much crippled me for 3 out of 4 weeks of the month, but I am glad to say that since my surgery every bit of that pain is gone, I just have to recovery from the surgery and should be good...

so as I lay here and try to take it easy I will add you to my prayer list...

Blessings and prayers...

Jen said...

Just read your blog this morning...we'll be praying for all of you and that precious little one. Sending all our love, Ron, Jen and the kids xox

Anonymous said...

How are you doing?

Unknown said...

Hello sweet cyber friend. Things are going very well. I have cut back on life to the extreme, but I am kind of enjoying the peace and solitude. So far it has meant no more bleeding and a full recovery from whatever virus I had come down with.

I will know on the 29th the true state of things. By then I will be 24 weeks pregnant. I am fully prepared for whatever the outcome is of that ultrasound. I am not the least bit anxious about it and will make the most of whatever comes my way.

God is good and living in His goodness is good too. It's all good.

Much love,

N.

Ann Kroeker said...

Catching up on long-lost online friends I've shamefully neglected and saw this post--I'm so glad you added the little note at the bottom!

May you rest well...and find joy.

Moments 2 Treasure said...

My heart and prayers go out to you. I had the exact same thing while pregnant with my now 5 yr old daughter. I started bleeding at 20wks. As pregnancy progressed placenta ended up just high enough for vaginal delivery. Only harm was done to my pride after placenta FLEW out and literally smacked dr in the face. I pray that 2011 you have a similar story to share! :0)

Bed rest is hard - but try to remember that keeping baby safe is well worth it!

Anonymous said...

Will keep you in our prayers...

blessings, sister-friend,
Sarah