When I was ten years old, my mother enrolled me in piano lessons. Now, many youngsters excel at the keyboard. Not me. Spending thirty minutes every afternoon tethered to a piano bench was a torture just one level away from swallowing broken glass. The metronome inspected each second with glacial slowness before it was allowed to pass.
Some of the music, though, I learned to enjoy. I hammered the stacattos. I belabored the crescendos. The thundering fnishes I kettle-drummed. But there was one instruction in the music I could never obey to my teacher’s satisfaction. The rest. The zigzagged command to do nothing. Nothing?! What sense does that make? Why sit at the piano and pause when you can pound?
“Because,” my teacher patiently explained. “music is always sweeter after a rest.”
It didn’t make sense to me at age ten. But now, a few decades later, the words ring with wisdom. Divine wisdom.
From The Applause of Heaven, Max Lucado
I read this quote in my devotions last week and bookmarked it to share. It somehow ties in so nicely with the discipline theme I have been pondering, another facet of the give and take, ebb and flow, work and rest rhythm of a disciplined life. When one has worked faithfully and diligently, rest is sweet. When one has experienced sweet rest in an atmosphere of calm and quiet, then one can take one’s place at the keyboard of life and position one’s hands to take up the melody with gusto and joy. That’s how I feel as this day of repose draws to a close and I prepare to turn the page and pick up the sonnet after the rest.
12 comments:
Me too...
I come here to the Prairie
to hear the music
and to experience the rest.
You provide both for us, your readers. Thanks for your song.
What a beautiful post, thank you so much.
Amen! And that is exactly why our family made a conscious effort to be more deliberate in our observance of the Sabbath - Mondays (and the ensuing week) are always better when we've worshipped and rested the day before.
Blessings!
Ditto to all the above comments. So often I find my rest is not truly calm - my mind is still running in circles.
Yet again, I am here with you. I feel like I have been showered with sweet spiritual & emotional rest. It seems when I get to the point that I feel I can't take anymore I experience a wonderful, spiritual rest & fell renewed & excited about life. Have a wonderful day & live in the ,moment!!! Leanne
Well said. My man and I love our family Sundays. We are all the more happy in the following week and able to see the beauty amidst the business if we took our rest on Sunday. Although we call it our family adventure day it is adventure in the little moments. Yesterday our adventure was sitting on the patio with relatives and sharing blizzards that Papa had picked up for the kids.
My choir leader used to implore me to take breaks with when I was a child. She pleaded with me that my power voice didn't have to be used all the time or it wouldn't be appreciated;) I can see that now as an adult!
"...work and rest rhythm of a disciplined life"
Just what He did.
And what He desires for us.
An inspiring post!
Very nice thoughts to ponder. I need to get one of his newer books. I always enjoy reading them (o: Loved the pictures of you kids, here and on the family spot.
As always, you have said it so beautifully. We have a wise Father who graciously invites us to rest.
Beautiful, precious post-as always. Thank you! Holly
This was ringing so true in me today...it ties in with the way God is leading me in my blogging adventure. Stay Faithful Prairie Girl! Your eloquence of language is delicious!
Post a Comment