Perhaps it is our spirit and attitude toward life and its conditions that are giving us trouble, instead of a shortage of time. Laura Ingalls Wilder
This quote continues to niggle at my brain as I evaluate the way I approach these passing moments of life. There is so much to think about here. Like Joy mentioned in my post On Time, how do the Amish, who don’t make use of all the “time” saving devices that we fanatically employ, do it?? They live life at a much slower pace, not so rushed and frenzied but mercy sakes, they get ALOT more done. Makes me think of the old adage “Haste makes waste.” Looking at my life, I think there is a LOT of waste, despite my busyness. And I’m not just talking about waste in regards to productivity, but waste in regards to leisure as well. As in, not giving myself as much leisure (by this I mean completely undistracted mental, physical and emotional leisure) as I COULD if I managed my time better. I’ll get into that more in another post though, because I’ve been thinking about leisure as well and Grammy’s comment really resonated with that.
As for today, lo and behold would you just look at what came up in the devotional column of my Bible yesterday *grin*. And the funny part is that I can't really figure out what it had to do with the passage in question, but hey, it spoke to me!
America is in a hurry. Time has skyrocketed in value. The value of any commodity depends on its scarcity. And time that once was abundant now is going to the highest bidder.
“Time,” according to pollster Louis Harris, “may have become the most precious commodity in the land.”
Do we really have less time? Or is it just our imagination? In 1965 a testimony before a Senate subcommittee claimed the future looked bright for free time in America. By 1985, predicted the report, Americans would be working twenty-two hours a week and would be able to retire at age thirty-eight.
The reason? The computer age would usher in a gleaming array of advances that would do our work for us while stabilizing our economy.
Take the household, they cited. Microwaves, quick-fix foods and food processors will pave the way into the carefree future. And the office? Well, you know that old stencil machine? It’ll be replaced by a copier. And the files? Computers are the files of the future. And that electric typewriter? Don’t get too attached to it; a computer will do its work too.
And now, years later, we have everything the report promised. The computers are byting, the DVDR’s are recording, the fax machines are faxing. Yet the clocks are still ticking, and people are still running. The truth is, the average amount of leisure time has shrunk by 37 percent since 1973. The averaged work week has increased from forty-one to forty-seven hours. (And for many forty-seven hours would be a calm week).
Why didn’t the forecast come true? What did the committee overlook? They misjudged the appetite of the consumer. As the individualism of the sixties led to the materialism of the eighties, the free time gained for us by technology didn’t make us relax, it made us run. Gadgets provided more time… more time meant more potential money… more potential money meant more time needed… and round and round it went. Lives grew louder as demands grew greater. And as demands became greater, lives grew emptier.”
Excerpt from The Applause of Heaven by Max Lucado.
I have jotted down some thoughts from my current “bathroom bible study” book (should I be blushing?) entitled The Beauty of a Disciplined Life, by Rebecca Gates. Here are my annotated notes on that;
While the practice of disciplining one’s energy keeps a person youthful in spirit, sound in body, and productive of mind there are two stumbling blocks that women face.
There is the low energy woman whose capacity for action and accomplishment is very low and she just can never seem to get going or get anything done. Then there is an extreme “perpetual-motion” type that results in a go-go-go, without ever really getting anywhere. Confusion surrounds this type of person. A perpetual motion person is identified by;
Activity without accomplishment,
frenzy without fulfillment,
dizziness without direction,
“go” without “goal”.
Oh mercy. She did all but sign my name to that one. Although I can really be the first kind of person too. Actually, I think it’s kind of a Mary wanting to become a Martha thing in my case. I’m naturally bookish, contemplative and lazy, so I force myself to be all frenzied when really what I need is balance.
This got long but I want to share one other thing. I’ve been doing something a little bit funny the past 3 or 4 days, but I have found it revolutionary and helpful so I will share it. I am trying to be conscious of that enemy “Distraction”, and also consciously choose to be fully present in the moment. When I find my mind wandering to “other things” I just tell myself (sometimes multiple times until my brain and body respond, relax and return to the task at hand) “I Am Here.” That’s it. It might sound weird, to look at it like that in print especially, but think about it. I’m telling myself “I Am HERE.” My brain, my body, my SELF is here and I want to embrace THIS moment, THIS place, THIS task. If I am cleaning my kitchen, I don’t NEED to be thinking about the laundry that needs to get folded. Just clean my kitchen, fully THERE, fully delighting in the actions and results of a clean kitchen while not being robbed of that fulfillment by thinking of the next thing. I am HERE. I’m not there. When I get there, I’ll be there. It’s been SO helpful.
So how about you? Are you a low energy or a perpetual motion type girl? Where do you feel you stand on the merry-go-round of balance? Centered and enjoying the ride, or hanging on to a couple of rails for dear life as you get flung mercilessly around on the frenzied race of time? That’s how I’ve started looking at my balance chart. Like a merry-go-round. I want to sit in the center, balanced and grounded, enjoying a nice steady pace… not clinging and groping for a handhold as all these rails whip around and allude my grasp.
16 comments:
Oh dear. Do I ever know what you are talking about. I am a low energy (not so healthy) person that tries to compmensate by having a frenzied life. I am bookish and lazy too. Add the sickly in there, and the guilt feelings start settling in. So I overbook and let me tell you - it's not fulfilling. Thankfully, I am in the midst of rescheduling, dropping committments, etc. to make my life more pleasing to the Lord.
Loved this post. Thanks so much!!
~Brenda
Hi there PC, Such a thoughtful post that reminds us it is good to slow down and take life easier and simpler. I love the Amish for this~their choice is to forsake anything that hinders their walk with God. Lately with all the painting we've been doing by the time the day is done I'm exhausted. Our lives are so complicated and busy and it has to be our choice to stop the rat race.
Thank you for sharing dear friend...always love your posts!
Noreen
Hi! Oh this post speaks to me today! I will emulate you and practice the "I am here." Thanks so much for sharing!!!
God Bless You,
Kristen
I agree with this. It's very similar to the money issue - we think that if we could just make more, then we would be that much further ahead, but really when we make more we just spend more, and we're no further ahead at all.
I'm going to ponder for a while.
I'm a pendulum swinging from one extreme to the other and trying to get to the middle and just stay fixed there. I go through periods of frenzy followed by long periods of overcorrection.
Right now I'm at a point in my life where I'm lacking direction. I don't know what I should be doing and I find myself bouncing from one thing to another and never getting much done because I am looking for the exact thing I should be doing or direction I should be heading. Last fall our oldest joined the Marines. Next month our second oldest will leave for college. The younger two will be a sophomore and a 7th grader in public school. I do not have a college degree or specific skill set. Oh, I have mad skilz, but none of them seem to count because I don't have the paper or the past job experience that say I have any skills or knowledge. I think I would like to get a job, but what could I do that would be fulfilling, worth my time and gas money, and still allow me to take care of my home and family? If I don't get a job, what should I be doing with my time now that I'm not homeschooling? Which endeavors are truly worth my time? I'm lost in Limbo Land. But I can pray and practice patience.
Oh, Prairie Chick. You've really hit a chord with me. I do struggle with this, especially as I am also, as you put it, "naturally bookish, contemplative and lazy, so I force myself to be all frenzied when really what I need is balance." I love your idea for telling yourself "I am here." I struggle with distraction from minute to minute and am a naturally low-energy person who constantly wonders why I can't handle as much as "normal" women. I can only blame so much on a naturally low energy level or my sluggish thyroid. Much of it is my avoidance of duty by filling my day with clutter than I can manage to fool myself into believing is useful and productive, when what it really is is procrastination.
my avoidance of duty by filling my day with clutter than I can manage to fool myself into believing is useful and productive, when what it really is is procrastination.
Well that pretty much drove my nail home. Uh-huh. Oh yeah.
wow this is really DEEP! what wonderful posts you are coming up with. this is somthing we all need to hear. I feel like i am holding on and my life is flying by whether i like it or not (but i have more free time than i've ever had before). perhaps its because i'm having more fun than i've ever had before (lol). you keep it up! you are a five star blogger ;-)
Hmm I would have to say I am probably a little bit of both! I would say I am a very bookish person.
I will have to say that sometimes I feel pulled in so many directions then I look around and am not sure who is even doing the pulling? Sound stupid? I sometimes put so much on myself and then get so deep in it that I forget who got myself into the mess in the first place! LOL
I will have to say it seems like in summer our schedule just gets thrown out the window and we are running on organized chaos..well just throw out the organized who am I kidding. We lose all since of bedtimes and just become garden workers. Then somedays we don't even do that and at the end of the day I wonder what in the world made me so tired and I didn't get anything done!
I have definately got some declutter in order we have got to get back ON schedule in our "home", "heart","lives" and just everywhere! We can't run a muck everyday its killing me! Time I need more time and you know I think I must be an awful time waster! There are things I am going to try to do to fix this rut we've gotten ourselves in, our school is starting back in just 2 weeks here at home. I have to really sit back and re do our schedules as well because we have become so wasteful of time and isn't that so sad because we can never get it back!
How do you plan on fixing it?
I have been SERIOUSLY dealing with this issue since May & especially the last few weeks!! I have been in tears from the stress of so many things to do & so little time to do them in. It seems I am so busy & I just don't know where to cut back....very frustrating!! I don't want to spend my entire day cleaning & cooking, fussing and griping, but it seems to keep going that way! I want to enjoy my precious children & see them as the blessing that I know they are, I want to enjoy these beautiful days & the people that I love but my work seems to squeeze the joy right out of me & leave me soooo tired!! Great post, I am there with ya. Leanne
I am HERE right now but only for a minute then off goes the computer and I am gonna get productive and present! Thanks for the encouragement. I hate feeling like my dates get swallowed up before I even start thinking about them...
I hear ya! Jenn sums me up pretty well (except I have no thyroid excuse.) After reading this post, this morning while babysitting, I found myself standing in the kitchen of my boss' house (she thinks it is funny when I call her, "Boss"), anyway, STANDING there eating a chocolate-frosted doughnut, slurping coffee, while trying to load her dishwasher. What a waste of a doughnut! Thanks to you, PC, I stopped, sat down, and enjoyed my goodies properly. Afetr all, we don't really eat chocolate frosted doughnuts for the nutrition, do we?
Hi Dear Friend,
Boy have I ever been there! I was a 9-5 working mom outside of the home for 28 1/2 years. Balancing was more like a juggling act for me. As I have grown older and wiser and no longer work because of physical disabilities, I have learned to rest in this, especially for the past couple of months:
Psalm 118:24 - "This is the day the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it."
So...we (my husband and I) have learned to readjust, live in the moment, just as you are talking about P.C. right where you are. We have had to due to his heart issues, physical ailments, etc.
Yes, slow down...the older you get, life passes by even faster. Savor every single moment right where you are, every glance, every smile, everything. Take it all in and you will find that your senses will heighten to a new awareness of what truly matters...Be still dear friends, put Him first and it will all fall into place no matter where you are...then and only then will you ever find true happiness and fulfillment.
I love you P.C.
Blessings to you and your family,
Alleluiabelle
K-Sue... that was AWESOME. LOL! I love it. This topic has such varied facets, it is keeping the ole brain cells whirring over here. It's refining me. Love that I can share it with all of you here and be "sharpened" by your iron.
A-Belle, I'm on my way to check in with you and get an update this very moment. I have been offline for a number of days.
What great posts on living a disciplined life... I have been reading all them, doing a bit of blog catch up this afternoon...
I believe my quest for stillness this past month has taught me much, I plan to blog on it soon... but mostly I need to strive to have a still mind and a still heart, so that I am not pulled in so many different directions, but like you said, focused on the moment, and what I am doing at that time instead of mentally planning for the next moment...
Great food for thought, I think I need to get that book and read it.
Blessings!
Once again, thanks.
This is just what I needed. : )
Post a Comment