Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Let Every Heart Prepare Him Room.

58600_4561

photo credit

"As Josiah became king at age 8, he followed in his ancestor David's footsteps and obeyed God. One of the first steps he took was to remove all idols in the kingdom.”

Faithful Christians love and obey God and should remove idols from their own lives.

It was the apostle John's final warning to his readers. "Little children, guard yourselves from idols. (1 John 5:21) "Watch out," says John. "Be on guard against anything that might occupy the place in your heart that should be reserved for God."

John never qualified that warning. the aged apostle deliberately refrained from classifying the idols or giving us a comprehensive list to follow. It's an unconditional command. ANY idol, regardless of its beauty or usefulness or original purpose, is to be set aside so that Christ might reign supreme, without a single competitor.

I don't have many temptations to worship evil things. It's the good things that plague me. It isn't as difficult for me to reject something that is innately bad or wrong as it is to keep those good and wholesome things off the throne. That, I believe is where the battle line begins.

Honestly now, can you testify to the fact that you've destroyed the idols? That Christ reigns without rival? Or would you have to admit to a personal shrine in your inner temple where you privately burn incense?...

Your Lord and Savior wants to occupy first place. Matthew 6:33 says that when He has it, everything else will be added to you.

How long HAS it been since you've enlisted your Lord’s help in a private, personal, temple-cleansing session? It's so easy to get attracted to idols- good things, inappropriately adorned. But when you have Jesus in the center of the room, everything else only junks up the decor."

From Come Before Winter by Charles Swindoll.

This devotional hit me dead on this morning. It is a culmination of many little words that God has given to me in the past year. In past months God has been showing me that my hunger for fellowship, which in and of itself would be classified as a "good thing", has been something that has consumed me to such a point that I looked at it through a skewed lens, and applied myself heartily to the wrong ends. This place, Facebook, blog hopping, etc.... all things that can be healthy and wholesome and GOOD, had become things that were being used to fill a space in me that HE desired to fill. As Swindoll said so shockingly and convictingly, they had become a shrine at which I regularly burned incense. They weren't being "added" to me. They were fundamental. They were the place I went to get my "fix" and feel uplifted and encouraged and connected.

I recognize that God wants me to feel uplifted and encouraged and connected and at times we really do need that net of fellowship to fall back into, and He has designed it to be just so. But HE wants ME to run to HIM. And if I make the computer the place I run to, I'm missing out on the blessings and grace that only HE can bestow on me. So if you notice that I am a little quieter, a little less present, a little less regular to drop in for a virtual visit, you will know why, and I believe you will understand.

11 comments:

Mimi said...

I don't even know how I found your blog, but God used the words from your heart to speak to mine! I too long for friendship, I'm a daycare provider with long days at home, I find myself running to the computer for "chatting" on FB, and blogging friends, God has been dealing with me on that matter, and now He sent your blog to me.
I say thank you, and from this day forward my computer will only be turned on, after I've been filled with God words...it may never be turn on again for a long, long time!
Blessings, Linda
Blessings to you!
Linda

Unknown said...

I so understand P chick I can get so stinking attached to this tube! I have had to do the same thing! My blog hasn't been updated in months! I really like to blog but I can find myself getting sucked in to be stuck to the computer instead of doing my daily chores,being a good mother, or even searching out Christ! I so understand! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

K-Sue said...

I do understand! Too well. Most of us have no trouble with big, obvious idols, but the encumbrances of good things can drag us down, too.

Linda said...

Have you been looking around inside my head young lady? Yes and amen to all of it. I find it is the need for approval as well as fellowship, and that too is something that I should be seeking from Him. I make false starts over and over again to tear down the idol only to have it rear its ugly head again. I'm going to try to follow your very wise example.

grammy said...

Merry Christmas. i wanted you to know I still come by and read. I miss your family stories and pictures though. Loved the story of three year old saying a questionable thing...
real life. Hard to beat.
I like to read Charles Swindol. I use to listen to his radio program, but somehow stopped that good practice. Need to look for that book you mentioned.

Mac an Rothaich said...

Well said, thought provoking:) Merry Christmas!

Leanne said...

I understand & am there with you! I just told my husband last night that when things get crazy with the kids & I am about to get upset I run to the computer & check out facebook. Your post hit me hard! I need to be running to God's word when I feel stressed not to people. I love blogging but it becomes an obsession with me...wondering if someone commented on my post or waiting for them to reply to something I've written. I love it but it takes up too much of my time. :-( Facebook works out better for me & I really need to monitor how much I am on there. I totally understand & respect you in so many ways. You have been one of the people that helped fan the flame of my spiritual growth & I will forever be grateful to you for that. :-) Have a wonderful Christmas & I will "see" you around. Leanne

outdoor.mom said...

Amen :-) Great post!!! Sometimes I fast from my computer ;-) I used to throw a sheet over it to remind me, but now so many people in our house are on it i can't do that anymore - lol!! I try to fast from anything that has a hold on me (of course its a process). Thanks for the pearls of wisdom!

Dawn said...

Amen!

You've noticed I've been "quiet" lately, too. God brought to light that I was allowing the virtual world to infringe on my real world. Hence, I'm in a season of learning (relearning?) the proper perspective and balance.

I'm still around and reading... just not as much!

Be blessed, my friend!

Tricia said...

I completely understand... that is why I have not been blogging as much or visiting around as much. God has taken the draw of the computer away and I have found that quiet evenings spent with my husband and restful afternoons spent in the Word have been much more fulfilling and satisfying...

May you find in Him exactly what you are looking for, and even what you did not know you needed...

Blessings...

~Brenda said...

Boy do I ever understand. Blogging and facebook are real problems for me, and it's like they dig their hooks in and don't let go. Part of my temptation is that I'm the secretary for our church, but I do it from home. So I HAVE to be on the computer. It's easy to just click on over to Facebook, and peek in. Only that happens about 58 other times in the day!! Ugh. I fear those little 30 second clicks are taking up quite a bit of time when added up. Would appreciate your prayers in this matter, as it is an inner struggle for me for sure.

~Brenda