Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Prairie Fire

I love the evenings, passionate and fair, I love the evens,
When fingers of mist in reefs of fire extend their reach down here,
Or a hundred sunbeams splinter in an azure atmosphere
Oh, gaze ye on the firmament! a hundred clouds in motion,
Up-piled in the immense sublime beneath the winds' commotion,
These vapors, with their leaden, golden, iron, bronzèd glows, Where the hurricane, the waterspout, thunder, and hell repose,
'Tis God who hangs their multitude amid the skiey deep,
As a warrior that suspendeth from the roof-tree of his keep
His dreadful and resounding arms!
Like a globe of iron which is tossed back red like fire Shocking the cloudy surges, splashed from its impetuous ire, Even to the zenith spattereth in a flecking scud of fire. Abridged and adapted from "A Sunset Poem" by Victor Hugo.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Someone asked me on a recent post if I use photoshop. Nope. Don't own it. Kind of wish I did, but am *so* not going to be spending 400.00 on a photo editing program.

I am able to adjust exposure and contrast to some degree in a program that came with my camera, but 95 percent of my pictures are straight out of camera without any adjusting. I'm afraid I didn't do the early pictures in this series justice, because the truth is I don't have a CLUE what I am doing really in manual mode... I understand the concepts of aperature and shutter speed but don't really know how to SET them on my camera yet.

Slowly, slowly I hope to learn more and more as I go, one concept at a time. For now I just enjoy the blessing of being able to capture the majestic and the mundane any way I can.

Unknown said...

oh, and I meant to say, all of the above pictures are straight out of camera, I didn't touch ANYTHING. These pictures should be watermarked with a celestial trademark and "copyright, God". =D

Dawn said...

Absolutely beautiful and awe inspriring. I love that you also always choose the perfect words to pair with your photos.

Blessings today!

Della said...

Beautiful pictures! God is amazing, isn't he? How blessed we are to be able to witness such things and how for granted we take them...

Krista said...

Gorgeous pictures! The sky view is breathtaking. Thank you for my email and for your constant willingness to be used by God!

Stop by today for a "makeover."
Krista

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!! You are a true artist, words with the power of the camera! Now that IS a gift from God!!!

LindaGay
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Leanne said...

Wow, I have never seen anything like that!! Thank-you so much for taking the time to capture God's beauty and share it with all of us!

Jenni said...

WOW. Where do you find these wonderful poems you use? They always seem to fit so perfectly.

Beautiful.

In The Masters Hands said...

Beautiful pictures! I know that has been said more than once but it is worth repeating. I to wish I understood more about how to use the manual mode on my camera but rignt now its more of a trial and error kind of thing. But with skys like that to take pictures of who needs anything more. Have a great day! Brandie

Tricia said...

Absolutely awe-inspiring! I love it when God shows off His handiwork like that! Thank you for capturing it and sharing it with us!

Blessings!

Linda said...

I am having a difficult time finding just the right words - sort of the way it is when I am trying to praise the Lord with words that just don't seem magnificent enough.
You've done an amazing job - and I love the way you find just the right poetry. One would think you had nothing to do all day but sit around in some inner sanctum and create :-)

Unknown said...

**Della** Yes, God's works are amazing, and yes we do so often take them for granted. It is one of my favorite exercises to stop, look and listen, and feel His presence. All things were truly created by Him and for Him and have their being through Him. Amazing how we can *miss* Him in all the distractions.

**Jenni** I love poetry. I read poetry to the kids daily and beatuiful stanza's will impact me and linger like the aroma of lilacs in the chambers of my mind. Then when I experience something tangent that triggers a memory, the scent comes wafting back and I go hunt it down to enjoy it's literary fragrance yet again.

**Linda** I wish! =D I was talking about this not long ago in a group of friends. You know how when you really enjoy something, it comes naturally, and easily? And when something is not natural it's awkward and requires more time and concentration? This kind of stuff just flows from me at pretty much 80 wpm if I'm typing my own stuff, or the time to upload 15 pics and type out a poem. It's not all that time consuming, and it's terribly therapeutic for me. I blog in the evenings after everyone is in bed. I'd way rather do this than watch television, and in some ways even than reading a book (I can't believe I just said that! The book part I mean). Here I am capturing and relishing real life.

I'm so glad you all got to enjoy that AMAZING sunset with me.

Shosannah said...

Wow!
God's finger prints are all over these beautifully captured images.
Thanks for sharing they warmed my heart.

Precision Quality Laser said...

Oh I love the poetry with the absolutely breathtaking photography! Sigh. Scrumptious!