Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Crow For Breakfast

03

Hmmm… It would appear I need to make a few clarifications about my last post. I think that for those of you who know me, you understand my heart, you know my passions, and probably didn’t bat an eyelash at the way I said what I did, but for others who maybe don’t know me so well, I’m afraid my loose wording may have caused some misunderstanding. Upon re-reading it I can see how that could happen, so I feel the need to clarify. A concerned reader wrote;

“You state in the beginning that you are starting to read Leviticus and that it is a struggle for you to read that book with enthusiasm. And then you say that you hope "Max" (Lucado) will plant a seed of excitement! I am shocked and disturbed by this hope in another human to get you to enjoy the bible.”

Firstly, I was being vulnerable when I shared what I did about my heart sinking when I saw Leviticus. I’m not proud of it. I KNOW that each and every chapter in the Bible holds amazing truth and mystery and marvels for me. I KNOW this. And I know that the less superficial and easily gleaned they are, the greater the delight usually experienced upon unearthing them. But clearly those types of passages require more “mining” on our part. More energy, more attention, more…. work. And I’m human, I’m sinful, I’m lazy, and I am as guilty as the next person some times of wanting to be spoon fed, and not have to pick up my mining tools and sift through rocky soil in search of gems.

When I said “trust Max”, I was saying it very comfortably, with my hair down, just like I would say “trust so and so to make me laugh through my tears” or “trust my dog to come alongside and nuzzle me when I’m down.” I wasn’t using the word trust in any weighty sense of the word, merely that I have found, any time I have read something by Lucado relating to anything that I myself am pondering, I can pretty much trust that he, in his gift of making profound things simple and practical in such a beautiful way, is going to, in some way, enrich my own ponderings. I think this is what fellowship is about, and how God created the body to function. To encourage and equip others through our gifts. I think Max has a gift for preaching. And good preachers will make people passionate about the Word. And I think I can appreciate a good preacher for his spiritual gifts and for how those gifts help enrich me. Which leads to another possible concern;

“Your hope should be that God will plant the seed of pleasure when reading His word. Even if God uses an author to encourage us, our hope should be in the Lord and that He blessed the author with what God is trying to say to you through their book, but that it's God who is putting the words of excitement into the pen of the author. This is why working in devotional books is sometimes difficult. You put to much on the human author that is just writing their interpreting of the Bible. Rather than just reading God's word for what it is! So if you do read a devotional book or bible, remember that the author is just a human, God made and sin-living human just like you who is just as powerless without the help and blessings for the Lord. “

Absolutely. It is my hope that God will plant the seed of pleasure in all of His children when it comes to reading His word. I shared in a private email to this concerned friend how distasteful and disturbing I found it upon moving back to Canada and hearing everyone go on and on about stuff they were reading in books and yet they weren’t even reading the bible for themselves. I couldn’t agree more! I was so turned off by it that I went to an opposite extreme where for a number of years I refused to read anything BUT the bible, no study helps, no devotionals, no Christian lit. Just me and the Bible and the Holy Spirit.

I still am a meat and potato kind of girl, I like to just read my chapter and let it speak, and see what God makes stand out to me today, which could and most likely will be totally different from what He will make stand out to me the next time I read the same chapter. That thrills me. The Word speaks. But at the same time, I still believe in the power of fellowship. And I still have a thirst for more fellowship in my life. It is empowering, encouraging and exhilarating to know that just as God is speaking into my heart, He is speaking into yours. Or Max’s. It excites me when a preacher is passionate about devoting his life to planting seeds and when those seeds fall on ready soil, they are embraced, and by God’s grace receive sunshine and rain in turn and are nutured into thriving and maturing plants that can in turn drop their own seeds.

The spiritual life is not just “me and my Bible and the Holy Spirit.” The Bride is a corporate entity of whom I am just one part and Christ is the head. Of course He is directing all the members, of course the glory and praise is all due Him. Of course Max says what He does and is who He is by the grace of the Holy Spirit alone. I don’t put my trust in him, but as my brother in Christ I have come to trust that he is the kind who will usually have a timely word and a simple yet profound insight that will compliment and encourage the work that Christ is doing in me.

The beautiful thing about what happened in my quiet time that morning was that Max spoke a fitting word, that convicted me (through the Holy Spirit of course). When I looked at Leviticus with a spirit of “oh great, better get out my shovel and pick axe, hard work ahead”, he revealed a whole different perspective and facet to this book. To look at it through different eyes. To picture the soil that Christ has cleared, rather then get buried in the fields of stones.

Please always feel free to approach me and hold me accountable and sharpen me. I am happy to completely unfold my heart and get personal and gritty about what I believe and what I am trying to express and actually, I am EXCITED when someone cares enough to respond and dig in and start peeling back the layers. I will never take offense at something like this, and appreciate the opportunity to truly FELLOWSHIP.

19 comments:

Leanne said...

Ok... I just erased the book I wrote a few minutes ago. lol
I understand EXACTLY where you are coming from & LOVE that you are not too proud to explain where you were coming from when someone sees it differently.
Have a great day!!! Leanne

Unknown said...

Dear Nikky,

It is always good to take a look to your beautiful site. We have not seen you for many, many years (we wish we could meet)but we do understood your post from monday the 10th and I have not bat an eyelash at the way you said what you did. Livitucus is a dificult book and it is sometimes good to drink from a river who runs from the cource(God and from the Holy Spirit).

Liviticus is a difficult book but also a beautiful one. If we take the Jewish readschedule of the Misjna then we find some splendid discoveries. The Jews have a 3 years reading cycle of the Thora and a 1 one year cycle for there holidays. When we celebrate good friday they have there synagogale readings from Lev. 16. This is the part of The Day or Atonement. Livitucus speaks about the Law but ' the heart or the Thora' gives us an insite in Gods amazing grace. Think about the book of Hebreeuws. We can come in to God himself by his grace.

Enjoy your journey into Leviticus.

May Gods Grace fill you and your family more and more.

Hug from us all. René

Dawn said...

Wow.

Guess I was one who didn't bat an eye at the previous post. Instead, I found myself nodding my head in agreement with a lot of it. I've just come through the books of Chronicles and often felt the same way. You know, king after king messes up and I start to think, "How many cycles of this do we have to have???" Then, of course, the Holy Spirit pricks my heart and reminds me of how many times I've acted the same way with my own relationship with Him.

I love your transparency, girl. Being honest doesn't require eating crow.

Blessings today!

Anonymous said...

I appreciated your transparency in saying that it was tough to get into Leviticus. I don't really know you, I just started reading your blog, but I didn't bat an eyelash. Instead I was encouraged that I am not the only one who sometimes feels differently than I know I ought to feel. I know the right attitude to have, the way I want to be and pray for God to make me, but the sinfulness and laziness sometimes have their way... :P Thanks for your blog, I'm totally enjoying it and feeling encouraged by it.

K-Sue said...

I did not bat an eyelash. Nevertheless, I appreciate you lengthy clarification.

Since we are admonished to encourage one another; since there is direction to imitate the godly; since old women (like me?) are told to encourage the younger women in how they behave, it seems clear to me that the community of Christ is supposed to be communicating about scripture among ourselves.

Brethren, join in following my example, and observe those who walk according to the pattern you have in us. Phil 3:17

Unknown said...

Okay the crow thing was tongue in cheek, for the record. Glad to know most of you heard this the way it was intended...

Rene, oh man, you have a penchant for getting to the root of things and encouraging others to get to business, I've always admired that in you. You had a huge impact on my life in our ship days and I contribute some major growth in my life to stuff that you challenged me with. I can't say enough how much it thrills me to read your comment, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. Whenever I start digging into articles by Arnold Fruchtenbaum I'm just completely blown away by the depth of meaning in all this OT stuff that points to the Messiah, it's AMAZING stuff. I need to put that link back up on my blog, I had it hear once, not sure how/when that disappeared. Love you guys and always so good to see you pop your face in here.

"Dutchie."

Mac an Rothaich said...

So much goes unsaid in the land of internet! It is easier when you know the person you are reading:)

Transparency rocks... discipleship rocks... keep on rocking the blog world:)

Anonymous said...

Being transparent is not easy. You would think it would be, just to write what you really think and let it go out into the ether world. But as a girl living in a glass house, I can attest to the disicpline it takes to lay bare the facts.

I liked both your first raw post and the one in which you have attempted to clean things up a bit. Both are very real and the give and take of them is beautiful in a whole different way.

I just finished reading the Bible through in 60 days. No matter how many times I get to those law and census crammed books I sigh and hope to find the gold. It's in there though, very rich and oozing truth.

shelia said...

Stopped by the first time today. Enjoyed! I'll be back :)


....I find Liviticus ...ah...tough as well....thanks for the transparancy

The McMurrays said...

Oh, yes, sister. That realness is why I *love* coming over here to "visit" you!! :) Keep at it...God is indeed glorified by the REAL.

Keystone said...

Hello Mrs. Chick!

I was a reader of Max Lucado for a good decade at least. I believe his earliest works were his best.
Check out "No Wonder They Call Him The Saviour". Best!

I see no Crow For Breakfast for you by using Lucado to frame a thought from the Bible for you. He is easy to digest.

I have not bought his last several books, for the themes are similar, and I hungered for a new frame of what I read in the Bible,.... a deeper frame.

Folks like Frederich Buechner and Calvin Miller are snapped up by me, as their books come on board for the public. I do not even look at the title, but buy due to their name on the book. You will love both, but Buechner will add a value to your readings you have never had.

Since you like Max, I thought you might like to see him on Twitter. It gives a glimpse into his daily life in real time, provides insight into the author-in-real-life, of the books that help you to know God better in your real life.

You can find out what is on Max's mind between books, by going to his site here;

http://twitter.com/MaxLucado

Seperately, if I may, I met a man today named Peter. His wife is Laurie.

Peter collapsed and passed out at the library as I encountered him.
Briefly, he has a tumor that the doctors can not do anything about. It causes intense pain. The pain is so strong, he passes out and falls wherever he is.

I can not imagine such pain. Perhaps you, and your growing audience could talk to God on Peter's behalf. Prayer is powerful and effective still, and the last I heard, miracles are still the specialty of God.

I believe that Peter being totally free of pain and having no tumor is readily available through prayer.

I would be grateful if you and all your friends would constantly ask God to heal Peter of tumor and pain with a simple touch of His hand.

I asked Peter what he needed, as he came to, shaking violently all the time as he tried to stabilize...water, food, sugar,...before he spoke of the tumor and pain causing blackouts.

He reached in his shirt by his neck and pulled out a Cross. I thought it Catholic, but he told me it was Anglican. I said "Close enough....they have the same Jesus Christ". Anglicans use a Celtic cross and at first glance, I thought it had a body on it, as Catholic crosses do.

I have to read lips as I do not hear.

Imagine my surprise to find Peter knows ASL and sign languaged his name to me, and the above information.
His need?
Prayer.

I told him to expect a miracle.
I ask that you help make it happen, in your prayers.
(and all you audience too).

May God give you and your family vast blessings in his vast prairies out there.

Occasionally, people are in the right place for the right reason, as our steps are ordained.

My steps go from Peter to your prairie, and from all of us to the throne of heaven, where miracles begin. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Mr. Keystone, sir... your comments always stir something deep within. Peter has my prayers, and you have my word that I will stand in the gap for him. God definitely orchestrated your lives to intercept, and I'm grateful that He has done the same with ours. I cherish the glimpses into your heart.

outdoor.mom said...

oh oh and oh. I don't know who the "shocked and disturbed" person was who read your blog, but i can guarantee they would be a whole lot more shocked and disturbed if they read my blog. I will try hard to refrain myself from carnal comments about that commmenter...... i think you have one of the best blogs ever!! keep up your good work. no explanation needed for me, WE ALL KNOW Leviticus is hard to get through!!

Jen said...

I am one of your readers who didn't bat an eye at the previous post. I totally agree that the Bible should be the guiding authority for our lives and should be read every day. However, reading books about the Bible are definitely a way to fellowship with others and learn. The Bible is so multi-layered, it's very helpful to read others' takes on passages of scripture. Many times, my eyes have been opened to some new layer of truth that I had never considered before, or a truth came alive in a new way.

As a teenager, I was a Christian, but alone. My family didn't go to church. I had no Christian role models or friends. I had almost no church background. I didn't speak "Christianese." I read my KJV Bible several times completely through during my teenage years trying to understand. Even though I am a smart girl, I couldn't understand very much of the Bible. As a result, I backslid for several years during college and made some horrible choices. It took years of reading about the Bible, Bible study courses, prayer, and many discussions with others before the scriptures really came alive for me. And I am still learning. One of the joys of my day is to read blogs like yours, that point the way to the Bible and to Christ. Many times my blog posts "bounce" off something I read here, or at Lissa's Humble Pie, or at Andrea's A Parson's Wife. By the way, I still struggle with reading Leviticus, but I don't think it makes me any less spiritual for feeling that way. I just need to dig deeper to find the treasures hidden there.

Debbie in CA : ) said...

My Dear Prairie Chick,

It is always with great joy that I come to visit you. I save up my blogger moments before I click your link because I know I will want to linger in the depths, and splash fully in the shallows. Today has been no exception . . .

To linger, to savor, to long for a moment to last forever when we are in the presence of something Good -- we all know that feeling. I also know the feeling of judging someone else's words too flippantly and missing the reflection in the pool I am dissecting.

Your gracious reception of critique does not surprise me. I have learned that those who honestly roll it out for examination know that they may encounter a bump in the road, but they just keep on rolling it out any way.

Thank you for being honest, open, refreshing, and OH SO REAL! I have adopted a wonderful dance step as my wisdom grows -- what once may have hurt or caused indignation, now only quickens my step of joy. I take it as a bit of honing by my loving Father and count it all joy (well, I try to at least . . . but sometimes it does sting). Humility and honesty take away the sting and leave the dance music.

You have succeeded beautifully, my honest friend of the Prairie. Keep sharing . . . keep going . . . keep growing.

I love my visits with you. Thanks for leaving the door to your heart ajar, sweet friend. XO!

Deb said...

Leviticus?

I'm with you...it's a tough book to understand.

But to me, what's really important here is your attitude.

You were receptive to a rebuke. In a gentle, gracious, and teachable way.

I respect you for that.

Hope your week is outrageously wonderful!

Sweet dreams.

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

This is one example of the many reasons I continue to come here. Your honesty is deeply refreshing.

I'm with you. I need study helps that guide my reading. I don't know how many times I've read something in the Bible -- only to have it blow me away after giving it a fresh look through the prism of another author.

For instance, I had read the story of Lazarus since childhood, read the verse "Jesus wept" a hundred times. But when pulled in to the story deeper once by Bible study author Beth Moore, I literally sobbed as I re-read the words: "Jesus wept."

I NEED those study helps. I don't worship at the feet of Beth Moore or Lucado or Yancey -- but boy oh boy -- does God ever use those authors to usher me into the presence of God.

Way to go, friend. Looking forward to what you discover in Leviticus.

DayPhoto said...

Your honesty is refreshing for you allow US to grow with you!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

my4blessings said...

Great post, my friend. I only want to comment on your impending enjoyment of Leviticus: For the first time ever I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book this year. I seem to come to it in February or March on a regular basis and just wonder at the inclusion of it in the canon each and every time. Out of obedience I have read and reread it but this year, finally, I enjoyed it and saw its relevance. I soooo get it. Miss you.