Sometimes I say really sweet things about my husband and kids, because sometimes I really love them beyond reason and because sometimes we have really good moments.
Sometimes I choke back rants and raves because I choose to focus on what I have to be thankful for.
Sometimes people make comments about my life that make me choke. Things like “your kids are so lucky to have you for a mom!” in regards to my children and; “you guys are such a perfect match.” in regards to my marriage. *Ahem*.
Sometimes there are days when I look at my husband with such shock and horror that you would swear I could freeze the blood in his veins.
Sometimes there are moments where one or the other of us says ALL the wrong things, in ALL the wrong ways and the other responds in like manner.
Sometimes we are too proud or stubborn to even recognize how blind and insensitive we are.
Sometimes things get really, really ugly.
The other day in my inbox the following line from Chinobilly Mamma got me thinking;
“It felt good to “air my dirty laundry” for the world to see for some reason. Believe it or not many friends emailed me and confessed they were glad they weren’t the only ones having crazy days. One friend even thought she couldn’t really relate to me because she thought I “had it all together”.
Sometimes I worry that despite my “Blog Reading Essentials” disclaimer at the bottom of the page, people still might get the wrong impression by reading my “sometimes life is really wonderful” thoughts and not getting glimpses into the “sometimes things get really ugly around here” moments. I don’t mean inside my head, or heart, I know I get down and dirty there on a regular basis, I mean… in real life family dynamics.
So. For the record. Just so you know. Sometimes things get really ugly around here. How ugly, you ask? Sometimes THIS ugly.
The other day, I had swept and damp mopped my dining room floor oh, let me see, no less than THREE times. (The dining room is a central room in our house, it gets us coming or going from either the front door or back). We are 6 people in and out of this house all day and we tend to drag in a lot of mess.
Besides that I had washed, hung, folded and put away four loads of laundry, fed my kids twice, cleaned up after them (no dishwasher remember), cleaned out the cat pen in the barn, done a basic tidy of the entire house (that doesn't mean you could TELL by the time 5:00 rolled around) AND washed, changed and exchanged clothes on my littlest guy amongst numerous other things. I had every intention of having supper on the table when Prairie Guy got home as we were planning on skipping out to the city right afterward but due to a drop in visit I was a few minutes late in the supper department. Not terribly mind you, but it wasn’t on the table till 15 minutes after he got home.
Now, I KNOW that we have a 45 minute commute, and I KNOW that the stores close at such and such a time, but 15 minutes in the grand scheme of things didn’t seem to make or break anything in MY head… but to my husband it was problematic. Not only was that problematic but apparently he was more concerned about the grass being cut than the cat pen being cleaned out (even though he had told me the day before he was concerned that the cat pen should be cleaned out)…. and didn’t I care that the dining room floor was so dirty? Oh dear. Cry me a river, DO I CARE THAT THE DINING ROOM FLOOR IS DIRTY???? Yes, as a matter of fact I CARE. I care ALOT. If you must know it is the bane of my miserable matronly existence (can you feel the drama coming on?) Just wait, it gets better.
I keep my cool up to this point. Inform my husband that “yes, actually, I do care, and for the record, we swept and damp mopped it three times today…” His look of disbelief did not help matters, but I just clenched my jaw and blinked madly while clashing lids and wooden spoons around to try to vent my own frustration.
We sit down 15 minutes behind schedule and I look at my baby in his high chair with some leftover food I had given him to keep him occupied. Can’t even remember anymore what it was but he had evidently smushed it all up with his hands and then rubbed it all into his hair and dribbled it all down his front. This is the child that I had bathed and changed just half hour before my husband got home. Now we had added to our delay that I still had to get him cleaned up and changed again, not to mention the other kids were looking a little wilted and worse for the wear as well… have mercy.
That’s just what I needed in that moment. Lots of mercy. And a good heaping dose of grace and someone to comfort and NURTURE me. But what I got was a whole series of “couldn’t you have…?” “Why isn’t….?” “Why didn’t….” and “I wish….”
Honey… believe me when I say that I wish I could keep a clean floor too. I wish my kids weren’t dirty half hour after getting changed. I wish my kids would learn to pick their stuff up without being asked, told, commanded or threatened. I wish, I wish, I wish! But. Sometimes? Sometimes you just gotta roll with the punches. Sometimes you just gotta understand that life is messy and what matters is keeping peace and order in your spirit despite the circumstantial chaos.
And for the record? Sometimes a man who spends the day alone behind a desk really shold think twice about saying to a woman who spends her day picking up after five kids “If it were me, I would….” or "Can I ask you what you did all day?" Sometimes that man should just REALLY be careful about what he says to that poor woman. No disrespect (I can hear the emails coming already) Just sayin’ is all.
Sometimes I lose it. And sometimes I tell my husband I’m losing it and if something doesn’t give I’m going to break And then sometimes he feels really bad and realizes that sometimes even a really strong woman reaches the end of her rope and needs a soft place to fall.
And lastly? Sometimes it’s good to have really ugly moments because it makes one all the more appreciative of the beautiful ones that follow.
for the record this is not a rant, I did not post this in frustration or out of disrespect to my husband, we talked about this episode at length and I have his full blessing to share this story here. No, I am not writing this little addendum in response to a particular email, just as a safeguard against any that may have otherwise been heading my way *grin*.
26 comments:
LOLOLOLOL!!!!
OK..that pix is hilourious!!!
And yes I feel for you and understand that our/your blog carries a hint of fanatsy because obviously we can edit in or out the things in life we like or don't like...I also understand dear sweet girl about the dishwasher thing..as I to am the machine!
Still you crack me..up ..that's the best you can do!
lol!
Maybe you should start a "my mean face meme.." I don't know it may have us all rolling to long ;)
Ha! I read your disclaimer the first time, and believed it.
We all have frustrating days, and the the more people and passion and animals and dirt are mixed together, the heavier the possible frustration load for the homemaker. This morning I might have been frustrated at having to clean up a garbage mess (you'd think with 4 cats and 2 dogs in this cul de sac, the raccoons would be intimidated, but chicken scraps are great incentive to bravery), but I read your post first, and it helped me to smile right through.
And the note at the end reminds me that you are married to one of the good guys.
this gave me a giggle, especially because my husband, who i love dearly, nearly got himself strangled with one clean sock at 9:15 on sunday morning after I'd had two outfits clean and ready for him to pick from for church, tidied up the house after camping, made buttermilk pancakes from scratch for breakfast, gotten my DD and I washed up and dressed and did up for church, all between 8:00 and 9:15. Why is that? Because he, like many men, can be a bit blind to the goings-on of the house, and wanted to know why it was that I could not do a simple task like have both of his favourite sunday socks clean and ready for action instead of one. The poor dear man. He nearly got hisself kilt. Over a missing sock, of all things.
I feel for ya. lol.
As a mom2six I feel your pain. I also am giggling as it is common to us all. My husband has been pretty wise over the years (25 we have been married) in choosing his words. Notice I did not say totally wise. However, about a month ago, eldest son (he's 16) made a remark about why I had not bought groceries already. I came unglued! Boy, did he get an earful. Hopefully I can teach him grace for a wife and mom's duties and he will learn the lesson well.
I enjoy reading and writing about the good times. Helps me wade through the frustrating, pull-my-hair out days! Been having a lot of those lately (too many teenage sons). Thanks for sharing.
It is so good to see that this kind of thing still happens even with your generation. I'm sorry this happened to you and I want all of North America to know that I was the drop in visitor - yes me the sweet, considerate, loving neighbour - who couldn't hear when Prairie Chick said "Prairie Guy will be home soon and then we're going to the City to shop for lights for the house". Dah!
By the way, did you get lights or can't you remember considering all that went on before you got to the City? Should I bring over flowers or baking???
This is the very reason that the gospels include the bungled , foot-in-mouth moments of the chosen dicisplies...because being human/vulnerable is something we all share. The sooner we become honest with each other the deeper our reltionship becomes in the body (and family)
As my own blog title testifies, I'm big on personal transparency! Great post!!
Yah... I have posted stuff like this on my blog too and the response is overwhelmingly women who can identify. It is good to be transparent as well as able to count your blessings. It is good to be honest about the ugly and deal with the ugly. You are so right about it making the beautiful all the more beautiful. I know your real, that is why I appreciate you!
Oh no you don't, Joan... no helping shoulder any blame here since *I* was the one who kept detaining *you*. Just love it when you pop in. And no worries, we just called the trip off because it was ugly enough we didn't wanted to be trapped in a vehicle and making shopping choices together :D
It is a balance, this blogging thing. I have stopped reading blogs bc everything is always perfect, and blogs where nothing is ever right.
I prefer to focus on the positive myself, at least when I write. Just to myself, I can be a bit negative. I truly have a blessed and beautiful life and I know that. Sometimes I forget.
Like on the road trip this weekend when my sweet boy threw up all over everything. And the return trip when he peed all over. Things like that. It was still a great trip even with a 6.5 hour trip taking 8.5 hours each way. I know this. But...if I don't sit in that van for a few weeks, that will be fine with me.
That was so timeless. No matter what generation or background you are from... we all have stories like that. Husbands almost always fit into the same category (o: kind of clueless about certain things.
By the way, don't ya know that a mopped floor (because of Murphy's Law) always gets something spilled on it.
You too?!!! I am all astonishment (as dear Jane would say)!!
You are an absolute delight dear girl. I really hope that we all know that each and every one of us has those ugly moments.
Thanks for sharing yours. I am quite sure I can do you one better.
LOL - great picture! Sounds like you are normal human beings!
"days when I look at my husband with such shock and horror that you would swear I could freeze the blood in his veins"
(ROTFLOL)
Love it. I can even see it *grin* It sounds like a look that crosses my face more often than I would like...
we've all been there - lol!!! For the record, I've been married 18 years and i've found that when you have to let things slide, there are a few basic essentials men need. They are as follows : Food, Sex, Peace (not necessarily in that order). They are usually willing to let other things slide as long as these three needs are being met ;-)
You're experiences remind me of mine lately!!
Ahhh, the vicious cycle of motherhood. LOL. I know you're frustration. Don't worry!! It's all worth it in the end! I'm nearing the end ... so I should know. :-)
I just left you an award on my blog. Come pick it up and pass it along, if you wish! :-)
~Brenda, your fellow prairie chick
P.C.~You really make me laugh-not at you but because I so remember days like this(even with just two girls) and I love that you were transparent enough to share. Girl, with five kids I'd worry if you didn't have lots of days like this-so hang in there o.k. If I were closer I'd come take care of your little ones-oh wait, my own daughter lives close and is expecting number 5-maybe I should go help her. She tends to just let lots go-got too with so many little feet in and out all day, and girls that change clothes a zillion times a day. Blessings on your nest and on the many messes-the years fly by and then you'll be the nana remembering when.
Hugs and love,
Noreen
I have those days too!! lol Thanks for sharing, it is encouraging to know we ALL have those kind of days! Have a great day!!
Ha ha, Nichole, your post today gave me the kick in the pants to write my first post! (I saved the blog title for some time because it just says it all for me but never got around to doing anything with it, so thanks!) Have a better day tomorrow. Good to know I'm not the only one that has days like that! ;)
Well, land's sakes, girl, I'm hearing you on this one. I get the same kinds of comments from outsiders and I just wonder who doesn't have moments that contrast the beautiful. I am so glad for new mercies EVERY morning as I just really need them.
Thinking regularly these days about what it really looks like to lay down that cross. Homeschooling has been a whole lot more about my character than theirs. God bless you as you continue all that ordinary life and find glimpses of His holiness that just floor you!
Hi there Prarie Chick! Loved the post. I suppose it IS good to balance the "blah" days in life with the "blessed" days. I'm so glad I found your blog.
Amen! And that's all I have to say about that!
You make me smile . . . well except in that pic at the top -- you look so much like a scary "CRAZY" neighbor I used to have (for the record: I moved).
But seriously, your are so real and I just love peeking behind the lace curtain and seeing a Proverbs 31 woman admit frustration in the face of dirt/disappointment/icky/ugly/glop, and yet unfurl beautiful new fronds of love and joy and strength in the wake of humility and truth.
It hurts to be the mom sometimes . . . and then they hug away the boo-boos and we eagerly reach out to do it all again. Now THAT'S amazing, and only the Lord could provide that kind of grace.
You are precious. I wish you were my neighbor (scary grimace and all).
Hang in there, sweetie . . . you're doing a great job (says another mom of five).
I leave with a smile on my face and a whole new set of prayers for you. Thanks for the real dose of life on the Prairie with one of my favorite Chicks. ; D
thank you for posting the 'ugly'. I fear too often I shy away from tackling all the meat in your posts... I don't want to face my demons or lack of enthusiasm for my walk with Jesus, though I long for it to be different. Slowly, and ever so slowly, I am accepting who He knows me to be, and realizing at the end of the day how I have joined His work in so many moments even unaware. He lives, and He lives within me. Deep inside I have hidden His word, and especially those times when I set my Bible down for too long, the two-edged sword becomes living and active and works even when I'm doing the seemingly mundane tasks of getting after my boys or doing chores or as I talk with a friend. He lives!
Can't wait to see you soon.
SISTER! I'm rollin' on the floor here! I fell in love with the whole deal here - the praire lingo, the funny pic, the humerous writing style - we are kindred spirits! Check out my blog if you don't believe me...
www.heavenlyhumor.blogspot.com
Don't forget to join my 'posse' cuz when I'm lookin' for wild stuff to load my head with, I start with the posse folks...
i really appreciate your honesty, prairie Chick. it's so refreshing...
I so want to hang with you.
You get it. You just do.
Love who you are -- every bit of you. Even with that mad face.
Post a Comment