Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Becoming Real

186794_9123

I’m treading unchartered territory here.  For the next two weeks I am going to take a few minutes each day to “set”  my steppingstones on Prologue Path (if you will)  as I navigate this excursion up Joyful Marriage Boulevard. I’m calling it the Peasant Princess Project, since most of the reflections are coming from a sermon series by that title.

I’m not necessarily sharing this for the express purpose of anyone else’s benefit, although with writing that tends to often be a byproduct.   I do always keep half an eye cocked toward my blog as an investment of revelation for my children’s sake.  If they ever lose me, they can come and discover my heart here. Ultimately, in this instance I suppose my primary motives, as always, are to be blessed in the process and to  face up publicly to what I’m facing privately.  I think it brings a weight and reality to things that otherwise can remain mental ideals and emotional aspirations that never find physical feet and wings.  As Jenni would say…. it’s part of this process of “becoming real”.  And as the Skin Horse so wisely said;

“Real isn’t how you are made.  It’s a thing that happens to you.”

“Does it hurt?”  asked the Rabbit.

“Sometimes,”  said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful.  “But when you are Real you don’t mind being hurt.”

“Does it happen all at once, like being wound up,”  he asked, “or bit by bit?”

“It doesn’t happen all at once,” said the Skin Horse.  “You become.  It takes a long time.  That’s why it doesn’t happen to people who break easily, or who have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept.  Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been rubbed off, and your eyes drop out, and you get loose in the joints and very shabby.  But these things don’t matter at all, because once you are Real you can’t be ugly, except to people who don’t understand.”

The Velveteen Rabbit.

6 comments:

Chris said...

I'm with you, friend, and I'm listening; eager to see where you're heading and journey alongside you.

Mac an Rothaich said...

A very cool quote! I have not read that book since I was a child. Real, an interesting and intense endeavor!

Linda said...

What a treat to have you writing more often! You always inspire me and cause me to go deeper.
I find that I sort of "seal" things when I have written them down. Most of what I write is more for me than anyone else. I think of it these days as putting down markers along the path.
Now I need to follow through a bit and actually go back and read what I've written every now and then!
I will delight to walk along side you on this journey.

jenni said...

Looking forward to reading...

Unknown said...

@Linda, I can totally relate to what you are saying about the mile markers and the "sealer" here. Totally! It is a priviledge and a blessing to be able to lay these markers as an offering and I'm so glad we can fellowship along the path.

Unknown said...

@ Mac... love that book. A treasured classic. And love what you said about "Real".