Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Peasant Princess Project, Bedroom Makeover

IMG_1898

For Prairie Guy’s birthday I thought it would be timely and sweet to do a bedroom makeover.   We have started using our bedroom during the day (don’t even go there)  to get away, have some quiet time (“Oh THAT’S what they’re calling it these days?” my one friend already teases me) catch up on our day, or just enjoy 20 minutes of shut eye.  It’s the only place we can really be alone and we are trying to ingrain it into our kids that it’s a sacred place.  A quiet place.  A private place.

The thing is that our bedroom is not the *nicest* place to be.   We haven’t done a thing to it since we moved in, and although I have my perfect picture dream of how I want it to look, it has not been on the top of our priority list.  I think maybe it needs to get pushed up there, but considering our kids don’t even have CLOSETS yet, well, you see how things are.

But I decided I could work with what I have and transform it into something special even if it doesn’t have the white wainscoting and crown molding that bring it all together in my head.  So here is what I did.

New bedding, a reversible black and white comforter from the Better Homes and Gardens Collection.IMG_1908

Crocheted lace from Italy.  A wedding present.IMG_1888

“The Key”IMG_1912

The best part about the key?  It locks our bedroom door...  IMG_1887

our bed was designed and handcrafted by my husband IMG_1919

I love it. 

.IMG_1899

Family PortraitsIMG_1902

Aroma Therapy… IMG_1903

more family portraitsIMG_1896

the night stand…IMG_1900

a simple canvas basket from the Dollar StoreIMG_1923

a black leather stitched box lamp with canvas coverIMG_1926(snagged for 3 bucks at the second hand store)

simple candles for minimalist decorIMG_1920

  And as you can well imagine…IMG_1927 

I can hardly wait for post supper quiet time!  =)

His card explains the key.  If I would have had time I would have liked to have recruited the help of a friend (pssst… Chris) to print out fancy Black acrylic lettering of a romantic excerpt from S of S to affix on the wall above the headboard.  Better to save that final touch for when the walls are done.

Enter my Beloved, into your garden and Enjoy its choicest fruits.

19 comments:

Dawn @ simply transparent said...

I love love love that your strong in this area! And the ending..it's just GREAT!

Much love and happiness to you!!!

Dawn said...

AWESOME! (And, great minds think alike.)

So... has he seen it? What was the response? (The one you can share with your public! *snicker*)

Lovin' the key idea. Pondering and considering it, too.

Hope you enjoy lots of "quiet time" in your new room.

Unknown said...

nope, he won't see it till tonight. I will have the candles going and some nice music playing... I can't wait!

grammy said...

I enjoyed the makeover...nice to see how you made it special without spending a lot of money.
I caught up on reading your other posts. They are always good.

Berry Girl said...

WOW. That looks awesome!

Katrina said...

Wow. That bed is amazing. And I love the bedding you chose. So classy and beautiful.

I feel the same way about my bedroom. It's the one quiet place I/we can go when a break is needed and so I try my best to keep it clutter free and tidy as much as possible.

I love your minimalist decor... I'm the same way... love to keep things simple.

Tricia said...

That looks absolutely wonderful! I am certain he will be pleasantly surprised! Have a wonderful evening with your beloved!

Blessings!

Deb said...

Love what you've done with your bedroom.

And that you didn't spend a ton of cash.

And he designed the bed? Oh, it's beautiful.

But sweet chick, I ain't falling for the "don't even go there" disclaimer.

Sweet dreams.

outdoor.mom said...

very lovely! what an inspiration and a neat post. Thanks for sharing your bedroom with us :-)

Melanie said...

It looks awesome! Great job!

Dawn said...

Well...?! ;-)

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful...what a good wife you are!

What a sanctuary! What a retreat!!!

And the bed he made...lovely...love the heart in the center..

Unknown said...

It was a huge success! I couldn't have asked for a better reaction. At first, when he first stepped into the room, being the man that he is, he only noticed the bed. "Did you buy me a blanket for my birthday??" he asked, LOL!

Then one by one his eyes took in all of the other little touches around the room. He loved them all. Softened him up like melted butter and he was surprised, happy, touched and very, very grateful =D

I had left a bible on our dresser laying open to S of S chapter 4 and highlighted the verses in question (verse 12 and 16b). I explained my heart to him and that the gift was as much a change of heart as it was a change of decor. =)

I think this gift is going to be the gift that keeps on giving for a LONG time =) And here's a nice bonus that came out of it. He can now picture "my plan" for the walls and has relented (he thought at first white wainscoting would be too austere, but he's "feelin'" it now. He even gave me the go ahead to go and purchase my textured wallpaper (it's on sale right now) for the top third of the walls! It's like now that I have taken a few steps to make this room a sanctuary, he wants to run with it. Yay!

Dawn said...

Very, very good response! =D

I know we don't "give" to our husbands to "get our way" with stuff... but, isn't it amazing how much more generous they are with us when we're "generous" to them?! When they see that we are totally available, it makes them want to cherish us in every way possible.

Enjoy the room!

Linda said...

You are amazing! I am so proud of you. You're learning lessons (and acting on what you've learned) so much faster than I ever did. The Father is going to bless your socks off!
I love the wallpaper - just beautiful. You've created a lovely, peaceful little getaway. You go girl!

Linda said...

Oops - just realized the wallpaper is going. Ah well - I just have a weakness for flowered anything!

Anonymous said...

You give your husband the kind of presents I give mine!

I love how you have the chest of drawers at the foot of the bed - eliminating foot-of-the-bed climb over!

I was just telling me boys that they had to keep their wrestling and bouncing out of "My/His/Our" room - trying to establish healthy behavior boundaries respecting differences. I think they love "my" room because of the atmosphere I try to create - a little softness, a peaceful quiet - a soft place to fall.

I think you did an absolute lovely job! Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Oh - Did you get the Peasant Princess idea from Mars Hill pastor Marc Driscoll? - my oldest son loaded up a bunch of his sermons on my ipod - andhis series on the Peasant Princess! It was fantastic!

Moms In Need Of Mercy said...

VERY pretty! :) I have a lamp very similar to your candle holder. It is missing its shade. I think I am going to steal your idea and put a votive over it :)
By the way, what a beautiful bed your husband made!