Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Missy’s Marriage Bed

IMG_1889

I spent the night on the couch the night before I read this

Couldn’t resist sharing the laughter.  Haven’t laughed till I cried like that in awhile.

In my personal fairytale turned nightmare I tiptoed quietly into our room (in the pitch dark)  about 10 minutes after my dragon slayer had gone to bed, quietly flipped the cap on my water bottle and took two swallows.  He violently pulled his pillow over his head and mumbled, “Can you settle down, already?”

Alrighty, then.  I crawled oh-so-carefully into bed and laid there trying not to move a single digit, praying quietly for a  few minutes when all of a sudden the entire bed heaves, he literally LEAPS out of bed, hits the floor, SNAPS on the light and stomps heavily over to the closet.  I lay there with a a facial expression that looked like I had about 4 too many plastic surgeries, that’s how high my eyebrows must have arched.  I mean, REALLY???

After fumbling around in the closet for a different pillow (don’t ask), he came back to bed, and I commented on the irony of it… all things considered.  He got that.  And he did apologize, but…. REALLY??  LOL!

Needless to say, when I heard the pitter patter of little feet coming into the room about 10 minutes later I sighed and resigned myself to the fact that if either one of us were to get any sleep, ONE of us was going to have to find the couch. 

And in some twisted way, after fourteen years of marriage it is very romantic to hear your husband’s feet coming down the stairs in the morning, to sense him crossing the room, and bending over  you to kiss you good morning, albeit with breath that really could slay a dragon.

Oh yes,  our beautiful Italian cotton  sheets also boast stains and ball point pen scrawlings and yesterday my lovely pillow with the crocheted Italian lace was used as a punching bag, bullet proof vest and trampoline on the living room floor for the course of the morning.

It’s really nice to know that you’re not the only one living a fairytale that sometimes has more of the qualities of a  nightmare.  And knowing that you are not the only one who has pistol shots going off in your bedroom in the middle of the night….

Ah…. laughter is good medicine.

12 comments:

Raising Country Kids said...

OH, the couch has saved our marriage!

Berry Girl said...

"pistol shots"....I sure wish those didn't happen (lol)

grammy said...

So Funny
this reminds me of your old funny posts about family
I miss them (o:
My husband has always snored 2 minutes after he hits the pillow. I can have on a reading lamp and he does not even know. Last week he was sick with the flu and had to have the trash can by the bed...I thought it was very thoughtful... in the morning I saw that he dumped the trash can on the floor to use it...oh well (o:
By the way I did empty it a wash it out for him.

Linda said...

Oh you do make me laugh! We don't hear the pitter patter of little feet any more, but a crinkling bag of cough drops in the middle of the night...Really!!!

Unknown said...

as ALWAYS grammy, every time you comment, I laugh out loud. VERY loud. Your comments are always so hilarious! thanks for that!

Ruth said...

all these sound familiar :-)

Denise said...

PRICELESS!

Mac an Rothaich said...

Lol, great little memory, well told!

Leanne said...

That post about the marriage bed was HILARIOUS!!!!! Thanks for sharing it! It is funny, I just visited that blog the other day & enjoyed her story about not wanting her children to be happy, it was great also! Oh, the fun of sleeping with the one you love, not quite the bliss we imagined it would be before marriage! LOL My husband & I now use separate quilts & that has helped... no more midnight tug or war games. :-) Have a wonderful day & ...night.

SimplyDarlene said...

I went a visitin' and found some laughs at the linked blog too. Funny stuff. I reckon if you asked, you could get several stories. It is all so funny because I literally thought our home was unique with the couch respite born out of sleep deprivation...

Unknown said...

@A Simple Country Girl, do tell! I'll be keepin' my eye peeled over at your place for a laugh or two =)

SimplyDarlene said...

http://aspiretoleadaquietlife.blogspot.com/2009/12/now-that-is-love.html

Hello miss Prairie Chick, guess what I found? A post on our (well, not mine and yours, but mine and my husbands!) love. And it is quite a rattling long one...but it'll do for now.

Blessings.