Thursday, May 14, 2009

A Single Rose

I have to admit I got rather bug-eyed when I read certain tales of Mother’s Day gift bliss. Adobe Photoshop, Canon Rebel cameras, front loading washing machines, etc. Wow. I could relate more to the following classic paragraph by my friend and neighbor Berry Girl;

Because, let’s be honest. Sometimes, Mother’s day is only going to be what you are going to make of it. Sometimes, you are not married to the guy who will plan you a breakfast in bed, or have bought flowers, or who will make arrangements so that you don’t have to cook. And that’s ok, it really is. Because he’s good at other things. So sometimes you just have to make the day what it’s going to be, and not complain. Which means that if you want strawberry shortcake, you will have to make it yourself. And eat two helpings.

Oh yeah.. I hear ya. And how. The long arm of my husband’s charm reached its limit when I told him that I might be watching a girlfriend’s kids on Saturday night so that her husband could take her out for Mother’s Day. His response? “What? Why? She’s not his mother.” And truthfully, I don’t think he was kidding, but he might have been. a little.

The truth of the matter is that I am very easy to please and all of this bothers me not one iota. I would rather have kids and a hubby who sidle up to me and rub my shoulders or pull my feet up on their lap to massage them as I read to them on a daily basis than all the big monetary gifts and pampering appointments. (Okay, who am I kidding, I'd give up a few neck rubs in a heartbeat for a Canon Rebel OR photoshop and don't you all just know it). But all that aside, chicken scratched “I love you” cards with heart shaped rocks taped to them really do spell redneck love to this prairie mama. And one single long stemmed rose presented at Church has provided me ample beauty and enjoyment.

asinglerose

Portraits of a single rose by Prairie Chick, quote from Leo Buscaglia

And my hubby knows he’s got it good and that’s enough for me.

20 comments:

Audrey said...

I agree! For Mother's Day, my husband gave me a kiss and told me Happy Mother's Day. He also told me "I was going to make you breakfast in bed, but I forgot." hahaha!
But I'm ok with that. I know my husband and daughter love me, and I'm not going to doubt that just because I didn't get any expensive material gifts!
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it!

Joy said...

I totally agree with you on this one! For Mother's Day received a nice card and hugs and kisses from the ones who mean the most to me. hey to hear "Mom" and "Mommy" from three littles is the best Mother's Day present ever to this Momma! I am so blessed to be a mother, and a wife! To me life isn't about money or lack there of or what I didn't get or what Susey did, its about what matters the most the real love in life the things that really matter...Salvation, Love, Health, Happiness..what more could a girl need or want?(well I could think of some wants but come on..thats all they really are!)
Great post P-chick!
Thanks for sharing
Joy

PW said...

So very glad that you had a lovely mother's day!!!

Berry Girl said...

oh hoho. First, I'm TOTALLY flattered to be quoted *grin* I finally realized (after 5 years) that it just wasn't going to happen. Mother's Day would come, I'd be expectant, nothing would happen, I'd be mad, Father's Day would come and Berry Guy would say "so what do you have planned for Father's Day" and I would snarkily reply "the same thing that YOU planned for MOTHER'S DAY....NOTHING!!" *sigh*

So this year, I just decided that if it hadn't happened in the last five years, it probably wasn't going to happen this year either. So I made it what I wanted it to be - and I enjoyed the rose too *grin* Berry Boy was as proud of that flower as if he'd gone and bought it himself. Too cute.

Unknown said...

This post is great (as is your blog)! Mother's Day, as in life, is truly what you make it. My mother's day consisted of moving furniture, ripping up carpet, watching hubbie and boys build walls. All so my mother can have a nice new master suite when she returns from a mission trip. I am so excited to see her face when she gets a load of her mother's day gift! Bringing pleasure to others, that makes my day great! In Jesus, Nancy

Alleluiabelle said...

I agree as well P.C. Come this September 1 I will have been married for 30 years to my husband. A card has always been his sense of style and an occasional bouquet of flowers here and there throughout those years. This year was special as my daughter invited both of us as well as her mother-in-law to their house and cooked lasagne for dinner. That was so sweet! That was the best.

It's all in what you make it and not what you expect to get from it monetary wise. Yes, you are right. I, like you, would have loved some of those things had they presented themselves to me, but the simple things in life make me very happy...my husband (I count my blessings every day since his open heart surgery in 2006), my children and grandchildren. They all touch my heart deeply and make Mother's Day the best. Just bring on the love, that's all that I want.

Great post sweet friend. I loved the picture of the rose. I can just smell the aroma coming from it...Ahhhh

Love & Hugs,
Alleluiabelle

Tricia said...

I am with you completely, although I do like to get gifts... any kind of gifts. My husband was sick in the bed on Mother's Day so I did not get the break I would have, but I still had a great day... and I too love my homemade cards!

Blessings!

Chris said...

Amen.

When I finally remember and plan AND implement my own mother's Mothers Day geniusness with some regularity, maybe THEN we'll have a hoo-ah around here too. Such is life.

I'm excited to actually have a jump on Fathers Day this year, regardless of what I received. Bwah-ha-ha.

Berry Girl said...

Chris, you're a better woman than me *grin*

Della said...

I made the fatal mistake of high expectations my first Mother's Day. I got nothing, just a big ole blowup with the hubster and an overwhelming sense of my being under appreciated and neglected. After that, I made up my mind I wasn't going to psyche myself up again...but it was more out of bitterness than anything. The next year, I decided I wasn't going to psyche myself up...but now my heart had changed and I did it because I realized what you and all these gals did...it's just a day...another reason for Wal-Mart's flower and card sales to shoot through the roof. I'm with Joy...just to hear my little ones call my name is enough (And I get my name called ALOT around here). I think that by adjusting your perspective (spending the day, and every day, really, praising the great blessing giver for what HE has entrusted to you) every day can be Mother's Day.

Dawn @ simply transparent said...

YOur new page looks great!

On the post well lets just say ..I love it when the tables are turned and my dh thinks of my love gifts..which is acts of service..he that this year..but in truth it doesn't change when he didn't because like you..I'm good with the everyday stuff cause I know I'm loved!

L.L. Barkat said...

I have gotten a range of gifts on Mother's Day. Last year it was a retreat. This year I was alone and it was a cyber-card from Africa saying "wish I could be there." Seasons of life, like seasons of motherhood I guess. :)

I'm glad you found joy in a simple Mother's Day. It is, after all, the way we exist each day... simple things present themselves and if we pay attention we smile.

L.L. Barkat said...

Oh, and this is to say... I miss your poetry. :)

Holly said...

What a sweet post! Holly

Joan said...

I'm so glad there is another husband that says "you're not my mother"!! Maybe PGuy has been talking to PGrandpa.
Enjoy your Mother's day with those little gifts from your kids.
When my mother was still alive I used to think I was being forgotten because the day was spent with her and my mother-in-law, and after all, I was a mother too. Don't think that way because the time comes soon enough when the day is just about you.

Christine said...

Wow, gorgeous rose collage! And you're right, there's so much we'd miss of the little things if we were always waiting for the big ones.

grammy said...

This was a very cute post. Liked the quote from your friend too (o: By the way, my husband said the exact same thing (You're not my Mother) 30 some years ago. I will bet he heard his Dad say the same thing. He learned that I am the mother of his children.. the hub of the Happy household. If Mama ain't happy, Nobodies happy.

Andrea said...

The long arm of my husband’s charm reached its limit when I told him that I might be watching a girlfriend’s kids on Saturday night so that her husband could take her out for Mother’s Day. His response? “What? Why? She’s not his mother.” I'm sorry but I just laughed out loud at this.
I do love your attitude in this. =) It's so important to appreciate the things our husband *do* do. (yeah i said "doo-doo" lol.)

Debbie in CA : ) said...

I slogged through years of trying to please the "Moms" in our family -- I wouldn't dream of burdening my kids and hubby with all that material madness. I asked for a typical day . . . they made me tea. I'm blessed.

So are you, I see. Now that's something we can celebrate -- LOVE! : D

Anonymous said...

I never ever remember my dad doing anything special for mom on mothers day. But he would write "I love you Mary" on the steam of the bathroom mirror after he took a shower. And he never failed to hold her hand when they walked anywhere. They are in their 80's now and my brother e-mailed me the other day to say he had been at their place and gone to the bathroom. There on the mirror was "I love You Mary". Thats what counts for me.

Lovely post!