Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A Beautiful Success.

 IMG_1032

“Have regular hours for work and play; make each day both useful and pleasant, and prove that you understand the worth of time by employing it well.   Then youth will be delightful, old age will bring few regrets, and life become a beautiful success, in spite of poverty.”

Marmee, Little Women.

11 comments:

Kimberly said...

*sigh* I love that story

grammy said...

It gas been a long time since I read Little Women. Guess I should read it again. Wish my 24 year old son that sleeps way to much would get it. I know he is depressed because his life is at a stand still point right now....but I so want him to just live what he has to the upmost. He so wants to be a cop and is working hard to get there, but that doesn't make Targets produce department look any better.

Anonymous said...

That is so beautiful. I have never read or seen any of the little Women. Came from having 3 brothers to having 4 sons... just never had the interest until now. I should make that a goal!
Grammy, it does my heart good to know that my son is not the only one in that "ditch". He is 21 and working at a grocery store - and doesn't like it either. Except that mine doesn't even know what he really wants yet. (sigh) He is a good boy, so I just hold out hope that one of these day's he'll "get it" too!

Mac an Rothaich said...

Such a lovely quote:)

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Oh, "Little Women" I loved that book. Thanks for shakin' the dust out of this old farm chicks brain. So glad I visited today, I enjoyed my read. As we say in the Ozarks, ya'll have a wonderfully blessed day!!!

Linda said...

What a wise Marmee. I wish I had fewer regrets. And I am still learning that business of using my time well.
Thank you for this beautiful quote dear one.

Cynthia said...

You know , I have never read that book...I should! BTW the photo is incredible...did you take it?

Holly said...

Beautiful quote from one of my favorite books! And a good reminder, too. Holly

Unknown said...

Isn't Marmee lovely? Last night we read her dear letter to Jo and I am going to have to post that here too because it always makes me weep.

Grammy, stand still points are so hard, aren't they? Feeling like life is crawling along in slow motion with no purpose and no sense of accomplishment. I've felt that way so many times in life. What a lesson to learn to find joy and purpose in WHATEVER your hand finds to do. To be the best darn produce stocker that Target (or any store for that matter) has ever known. To seize the opportunity to smile at people and be kind even if customer relations isn't part of your job description. To just be the best YOU you can be in your given circumstances. It requires humility and hard work but the clincher is that the Lord promises to elevate the humble.

Cynthia, yes the photo is mine. I loved the perfect little reflection staring back up at him. So peaceful and beautiful.

outdoor.mom said...

OH I HAVEN'T read that in so long!! good thought to ponder :-)

Anonymous said...

we have just been rewatching Little Women and Little Men...I love Marmee's sweet wisdom in the books...my girls and I enjoy the movies...sigh and double sigh...