Wednesday, September 9, 2009

It’s All About Balance

IMG_4879

Still pursuing balance.  And having fun with it.  Days are pretty full around here now that school is back in session but I am loving being back in the swing of things.  About the only me time I get on a normal day is the 1/2 hour or so that I get out for my interval walk (up to 5 minutes jogging 90 sec walking, hooray!) in the evening right about sunset.  I am LOVING this time.  The quiet, the exercise, ALONE time.  I don’t get a lot of that.

I’m also working on building in quality girl bonding time without the kids.  This is something that has fallen by the wayside in my life for many years.  I know that this is my home,  my family, my ministry, my work.  But everyone needs a little down time.  Last night I got some down time and oooooooooooh was it lovely. 

A cross country drive at day’s end with the crimson kiss of sunset touching fields of gold.  Swathers crawling like busy ants across the fields, leaving trails of neatly stacked wheat in their train.  A harvest moon, swollen and coppery hued rising on the opposite horizon and the kicked up wheat dust in the fields filtering everything through a blue gray lens of autumn wonder.

Meeting up with friends for a late night foray into the big city, laughing at ourselves and life as we go, finding the perfect parking place, walking through the heart of downtown on a beautiful fall evening to the 2nd Avenue Grill to visit and laugh some more over their divine Chocolate Torte followed by a smile-all-the-way-through-gasping-twice-when-caught-off-guard viewing of Julie and Julia. 

Getting home at 1 am, steeping some chamomile and having your dear, sweet husband come down to sit at the table with you and enjoy a quiet moment before bed.  It was a perfect evening.  But then again, tonight will be too, as I bathe my kids, and read to them from Little Women and Mrs. Frisby and the the Rats of Nimh.  Because after all, it’s all about balance.

How ‘bout you?  Pursuing balance?  How do you refuel?   

14 comments:

Sarah said...

I am seeking His balance as well. Unpacking, transitioning to our new mission field, settling in ... we need a day of rest and balance.

Thank you sweet one, for the gentle nudge today.
Sarah Dawn

grammy said...

Sounds lovely, ans you do need some time like that. Another thing it is all about is 'seasons'. You are in a season of life filled with your children. Believe it or not it does come to an end.... and then you will wonder how that happened (o:

Ann Kroeker/Not So Fast said...

Nice...glad you got some girlfriend time. And alone time. Balancing out mom time.

The sunset, the stacked wheat, the harvest moon, swollen and coppery hued...

When we fuel our tanks, it's easier to pause and take in the beauty...and turn it into poetry.

Mac an Rothaich said...

I love how you wrote about really appreciating the special and extraordinary night and also equally appreciating the ordinary night. I think times out and away from home and kids are perfect when they make us all the more happy at home with the kids. Naps are my alone and recharge time and I wish I got them more regularly.

Berry Girl said...

You helped me refuel today :) Thanks so much for that. Even a few hours alone in the city is recharging for me, even if I have to hurry - I still had time to grab my favorite Starbucks drink, and while waiting for my appointment I had time to read the book I'd brought along (while I sipped my coffee). And hurrying doesn't feel stressful when I'm hurrying by myself :)

Fall refuels me too. It's my favourite season.

Molly Betsy @ Star Cottage said...

Your comment made my day ;)
Glad you got to get out with the ladies. Chocolate torte and good fellowship, it sounds lovely ;)
Balance has been a little elusive lately. hehe.
Blessings, Molly

Debbie in CA : ) said...

Once upon a time I forgot how to refuel . . . and it was a dark and dismal time. My loving Lord led me back to lie beside the still waters (it was an arduous process) and I learned to drink deeply for life. Sometimes those still waters had a chocolately treat floating in it, or a cup of tea with a friend, or even a good book, but always something to refresh me.

I learned well that lesson and am so glad to see that you, too, have learned it well.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time and returned with a smile and a delight in all that awaited you. Blessings come in a rainbow of hues.

I am refreshed just reading this post -- and today is a day devoted to refreshment after two very busy weeks around here!

Thank you sweet friend. Our hearts beat in unison, though I haven't the faintest idea what a swather looks like in action (or didn't, I should say, until now).

enJOY all the JOY spilling around you.

XO ~~ Debbie

Linda said...

Oh that elusive thing called balance. It seems like one of those life-long lessons to me - as the seasons change. Wednesday morning Bible Study is one way I take a bit of time for me. This little group has been together so long we share without reservation. I feel refreshed and renewed after a morning spent with them. Even when the nest is empty, time has a way of being filled with so many people and things that need attention. A little "me" time is a great thing.

Aimee said...

loved Julie and Julia and girls' nights...good stuff and so needed.

NanaNor's said...

Hi P.C., Loved this post and hearing about your days and fun evenings too. Yes, we all need balance in all areas of our lives-except of course pursueing our Savior. Now that we are moved I'm hoping to regain some balance-especially with walking.
Blessings to you this day.
Noreen

Deb said...

I'm not quite as balanced as I need to be.

Probably because obedience and submission are such integral components of balance.

But my goal?

Put Him first.

In everything.

Always.

And watch as He changes chaos into calm.

Sweet dreams.

Andrea said...

just what i needed to hear.
i've been thinking about your "Mama Monday".
when you combine a "must do" with a girlfriend--say going grocery shopping at night with a friend--so you do two things at once--get the fellowship you need and fill up your cupboards--so brilliant!
i'm wondering what ways *I* can incorporate that.
balance.

Andrea said...

ha!! i re-read my comment. i hope i made sense. forgive me, i'm postpartum. no brain cells. =) you understand. =)

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Oh yes. Girls Night Out. We need one of those every once in a while.
I had me some of that this weekend, three hours south of here. It was an unusual break from the routine, and I enjoyed it thoroughly, but couldn't wait to get back home. I was on the road before the sun rose. :-)

I think I'm a little Type A. I like the "routine" of my life, too.

Enjoyed your photo, and the word-picture of those fields ... Such a beautiful writer, you are.