Thursday, September 17, 2009

Marmee's Letter

photo by Mattox

I can see that Marmee is a cherished personality not only in this home but also by many of you. For those of you who haven't yet read this book, here is another beautiful picture into the heart of this wise and gentle mother. Louisa May Alcott captures her mother's tender spirit with so much love and sentimentality it is nothing short of precious.

From a letter that Marmee wrote to "Jo" and tucked into their own little household mail box.
"My Dear, - I write a little word to tell you with how much satisfaction I watch your efforts to control your temper. You say nothing about your trials, failures, or successes, and think, perhaps that no one sees them but the Friend whose help you daily ask, if I may trust the well-worn cover of your guidebook. I, too, have seen them all, and heartily believe in the sincerity of your resolution, since it begins to bear fruit. Go on, dear, patiently and bravely, and always believe that no one sympathises more tenderly with you than your loving

Mother
And, lest Marmee be painted with a saintly air, it must be shared that personality-wise she sympathised with Jo on so many levels, having been as a younger, less experienced woman short of temper, prone to rash response and hot headed. But oh how sweet the years of experience lay across her shoulders, a woman who learned to tap into the fruit of the Holy Spirit and produce it in her own life.

Truly inspiring.

8 comments:

Mac an Rothaich said...

Beautiful. I want to be such a mother:) I also hope to be such a well matured woman of God one day, living in the Spirit!

Berry Girl said...

I love Marmee too. I wish I had that kind of spirit...

grammy said...

Like that. You must be using it for home school. Ty, (24 year old son) is testing right now for a police job. Prayers go up.

Unknown said...

What wisdom to notice her offsprings struggles to be Godly. Sometimes I am so busy correcting faults I fail to see where they are following God. Thanks!

outdoor.mom said...

gosh i am just going to have to asssign little women in school this year!

Linda said...

I have always loved Marmee and her lovely, imaginative daughters.
Precious words of wisdom..
Have you read a biography of Marmee?

Bev K said...

Thanks for the reminder of that fictious but precious mother. Even now, as the mother of grown and flown chicks, I need to remember to pay attention to and to encourage spiritual and character growth in my children (and grandkids!)

K-Sue said...

There have been times when I have spoken to a child, mine or a neighbor or child at church, recognizing their improvement in behavior - especially self-control issues. It always surprises me how touched they are! It reminds me that we need to often "catch" a child doing good just like we "catch" them misbehaving.