Friday, September 25, 2009

Give Us This Day…

58600_4561

photo by holamaria

“Money is a good and useful thing, Jo; and I hope my girls will never feel the need of it too bitterly, nor be tempted by too much… I’m not ambitious for a splendid fortune, a fashionable position, or a great name for my girls. If rank and money come with love and virtue, also, I should accept them gratefully, and enjoy your good fortune, but I know, by experience, how much genuine happiness can be had in a plain little house, where the daily bread is earned, and some privations give sweetness to the few pleasures.”

More sweet wisdom from Marmee.

18 comments:

Deborah Ann said...

That was beautifully written! I don't know who Marmee is, but she is one deep lady!

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Perfect timing, Prairie Chick. In the college journalism class I teach, we're writing obituaries of each other next week. (People are just "dying" to come to my class. Ba-dum-bump...)

Anyhow, one of my students played Marmee when her high school put on the play. And this is a fitting quote for my student's "obituary" -- which we're writing in class Tuesday. Thank you! - smile -

- Jennifer

Sarah said...

yes...gotta love Little Women...

K-Sue said...

I'm enjoying your quotes from Marmee. This one reminds me of the section from Proverbs 30:

Give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is my portion, that I not be full and deny You and say, "Who is the LORD?" Or that I not be in want and steal, and profane the name of my God.

I wonder how much wisdom I am imparting to my daughter and other children who cross my path.

Cynthia said...

OK I definately have to read that book now! Thanks for posting this wisdom.

Unknown said...

Love that passage, K-Sue... TOTALLY fits the bill. I wonder the same thing, and pray that I leave a legacy of hunger and thirst and desire for more of Christ. After all, what could be wiser than that?

Linda said...

I love it. Thank you so much for these wise, beautiful quotes. I just may have to dig out my copy of Little Women and read it - again!

outdoor.mom said...

amen :-) i find that though i whole heartedly believe in prosperity, money does seem to complicate life in ways i don't like. i am happy living simply.

Tricia said...

Amen...

Blessings!

grammy said...

Oh to be so wise. Wonder if I ever say anything as deep and as helpful as Marmee (o:

Deborah Ann said...

Head on over to Heavenly Humor, Prairie Chick. I have a s'prise for you!

Firefly said...

Howdee!
I happened upon your site while searching for 'like-minded' lovers of Kathryn Scotts' music.
What a BE-A-UTIFUL site!

I look forward to reading your blogs and growing in Christ together.

Be Glad, for today is the day that the Lord has made!!

Kind thoughts,

Adi

~*Michelle*~ said...

oh! So blessed that God led me here this morning....what beautiful words to start my day!

"....how much genuine happiness can be had in a plain little house, where the daily bread is earned, "

wow.
thank you!

Monica Sharman said...

I've seen similar words of wisdom when I read Anne of Green Gables!

Deb said...

Prairie Chick,

I'm digging Marmee's wisdom too.

"...much genuine happiness can be had in a plain little house...."

I need to tattoo--figuratively speaking, of course--those words across my forehead.

And my heart.

And thank you, sweet girl, for the comment that you left on my blog.

Your words were a much-needed hug.

When it snows and things slow down, send me an E-mail.

debcarroll@ymail.com

I'd love to "chat" with you.

Deb said...

Oops!

I forgot something.

Sweet dreams.

Anonymous said...

I think about money far too much... Marmee's wisdom is greatly needed by my consumerist-heart. Thank you so much for sharing this.

grammy said...

Just wanted to say hi. Miss your families antics. Hope it is all cool around there...and not snow, but I guess that is possible.