Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Hungry?


The greatest enemy of hunger for God is not poison but apple pie. It is not the banquet of the wicked that dulls our appetite for heaven, but endless nibbling at the table of the world. It is not the X-rated video, but the prime-time dribble of triviality we drink in every night. For all the ill that Satan can do, when God describes what keeps us from the banquet table of his love, it is a piece of land, a yoke of oxen, and a wife (Luke 14:18-20). ….the most deadly appetites are not for the poison of evil, but for the simple pleasures of earth.”

John Piper

It bears repeating.  I am too easily fattened and dulled by  the perpetual parade of apple pie this world has to offer.  No wonder I have little hunger for my daily bread.  Maybe if I weaned myself of the sweet and oh so smooth confections that tickle my taste buds and pad my hips without fortifying my soul… maybe if I stopped drinking so deeply from the fountain of frivolity… maybe then the hunger would grow.  The kind of hunger that settles for nothing less than my Daily Bread (Mat 6:11), the Pure Milk (1 Pet 2:2), the Heartiest Meat (1 Cor 3:2), and springs of Living Water (John 4:14). 

9 comments:

Jen said...

I have this book and re-read it often. These words are so true. I know I have a tendency to spend less time with God when things are going well, maybe a quick "thank you" instead of long prayer times. It's shameful that I can be so busy having fun and feasting on His gifts that I forget about the Giver.

Linda said...

Amen Nichole.

Anonymous said...

NO WAY...I just had a dream that I shared in my blog about His love from Song of Solomon...

He is hitting me with the truth of His love and I love it!

I love Him!

outdoor.mom said...

Oh Prarie Chick, you never cease to amaze me with your depth. Well this is what i have to say : Hunger does something. At this point you are focused on Hungering after God. You are hungry. Soon you become ravenous. Then deperate, starving. Then comes REVIVAL. Expect an outpouring of God on your life. Its coming.

travelmom said...

Great message - and quote. I realize how quickly I forget that the constant flow of entertainment robs our souls and leave us unable to feast on real food. May we remember to develop our taste for the food that feeds.

Blessings!
Lori

peggy, the simple woman said...

All I can say to this poetry is rain down on me...rain down on me...rain down on me...Thank you!

NanaNor's said...

Hi P.C., Loved this post-so very true and often what we forfit when we dine at the table of the world. I'd rather live in a hut than conform to the ways of the world and live in a mansion made of things with no lasting eternal value. Blessings to you this week and Happy Thanksgiving!
Noreen

Deb said...

These words.

Hit me in my well-padded hips.

And hurt.

I need the hurt.

I have something for you if you have an opportunity to stop by my blog.

Sweet dreams.

Tricia said...

Some very good food for thought... it is true that the more comfortable we get with the things of this world the less we hunger after after God.

What John Piper book is this from?

Blessings!