Monday, November 23, 2009

Sweet Adversity

131626_2413



Wealth is certainly a most desirable thing,

but poverty has its sunny side,

and one of the sweet uses of adversity

is the genuine satisfaction which comes

from hearty work of head or hand,  

and to the inspiration of necessity,

we owe half the wise,

beautiful,

and useful blessings of the world.

 

Louisa May Alcott.

9 comments:

K-Sue said...

So true! I'd say, though, that we owe much more than half the wise, beautiful, and useful blessings of the world to the inspiration of necessity - after all, necessity d said to be the mother of invention.

K-Sue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda said...

Another wise, beautiful quote.
Thank you.

Mac an Rothaich said...

Okay, I hope you know that the Persephone Theater is putting on a musical version of LITTLE WOMEN for their Christmas special!!?? I am SOOOOO hoping to go and thought you needed to know about it!

Unknown said...

I did NOT know that! Hmmmm.... I'm thinking a girl's night out may very well be in order! How much are tickets??

Mac an Rothaich said...

22-35 dollars:) I guess they are selling fast so I need to decide if I am going too!

Holly said...

Love this quote. Love Louisa May Alcott! Holly

Anonymous said...

Iwannago, iwannago...to the play for girls night out...oh well...

ENJOY!

Mac an Rothaich said...

Prairie Chick, read this post today and wanted to send it to you since you and your lovely little women are working through works of literature by Louisa May Alcott...

http://wordwisehymns.com/2009/11/29/today-in-1832-louisa-may-alcott-born/#comment-324