Thursday, June 4, 2009

Celebrating June

Apple blossoms in a vase 

IMG_6089

Apple blossoms on a tree 

IMG_6109

An inviting fire and the Gate That Leads To Nowhere

IMG_6101

June ‘toon berry blossoms in a pail

IMG_6097

The cause for celebration

IMG_6102

Because they are pretty  

IMG_6111

and yummy

IMG_6115

oh so pretty

IMG_6112

and oh so yummy

IMG_6113

and a source of income for these two berry great people

IMG_6121

sorry Berry People, I couldn’t resist

IMG_6120

party favors

IMG_6117

Chocolate covered Saskatoons and Saskatoon Berry Cider.

IMG_6118

What’s not to love?  

Beautiful, beautiful party my friend.  Cotton Picking FREEZING, but beautiful.  And Lord please don’t let the trees freeze tonight, Amen.

22 comments:

Pear tree cottage! said...

O! now it all looks like were I would like to be............what a great post very cozy and very yummo!!

Lee-ann (enjoying some winter rains here now)

Dawn said...

What an awesome gathering!!!

I just have to know...

What are these berries comparable to? Blueberries? Do they make their own champagne? And, of course, the chocolate covered berries are delicious!

I'm finding more and more reasons why I need to visit the north! LOL

Blessings!

PS - Funny to see your trees "just now" blooming - our bloomed March/April. (We're in the mid-90's F now.)

Holly said...

WOW-you really have a way of making the reader feel like they're present with you, Such awesome pictures-it looks like such a lovely time and delicious food!!
I loved the gate-it looks like a poem. Holly

Chris said...

Dawn? It's not so funny. We've been praying and pleading for spring this year, each warm day unsure if it's here to stay. It did freeze again last night, and I'm scared of going to check my garden for fear of more death. **sigh**

S'toon berries are smaller than commercial blueberries, but bigger than wild ones... they have a brighter/bolder taste, but bigger/more seeds inside. Prairie people usually prefer them.

Dawn said...

Oh, Chris...

I am so, so sorry in my poor choice of wording. I used "funny" when what I was really trying to express was that it is "hard to imagine" that a region is just now experiencing spring when it seems so long ago for us. Please forgive me for what I'm sure seemed to be a very cruel comment. I am praying that your crop is safe.

Blessings, Dawn

Unknown said...

Your pictures and words are always so lovely. I wish I could savor the taste of the trifle as my eyes do your post. In Jesus...

Unknown said...

>>What are these berries comparable to?<< In the states you apparently call them June berries, or service berries. Here we call them Saskatoon berries. They are about the size of a huckleberry, darker in color, and more meaty than juicy, it's true they have more seeds but they are so tiny that they are no more bothersome than raspberry seeds, just results in a more meaty than juicy berry.

March/April we were still dealing with ice and snow!

Chris said...

(Dawn and Chris hug and laugh over words that can't be heard and interpreted with sarcasm, hand gestures and exaggeration)

As a BC girl (not from prairies) my interpretation of a berry is a bit skewed. Thanks Pchick.

Unknown said...

>>As a BC girl (not from prairies) my interpretation of a berry is a bit skewed. Thanks Pchick.<<

Hey, I'm a BC girl too, remember? LOL! Your interpretation was just fine, I wasn't challenging it, just expanding on it =)

Berry Girl said...

I can't believe you took pictures of my butt.

Unknown said...

well, to be precise I took a picture of you and you HUBBIES butt. I wouldn't have done it if it had been just yours. But come on, it's cute right? Two berry butts with Saskatoon berries in betweeen. YOu know you want to frame it LOL! Forgive me, like I said, I couldn't resist. But I have to say, your butt is looking GOOD.

Berry Girl said...

well since you put it like THAT...*grin*

Berry Girl said...

Hey, I'm a BC girl too. And they're waaaaay better than blueberries. although I may be slightly biased...and I may be saying that as I spoon more trifle into my mouth at 9:45am...

Linda said...

Oh my - if it wasn't such a long ride I'd be there to taste those delicious deserts. It really does look like a wonderful party - butts and all :-)

The McMurrays said...

What a romantic looking gathering!!...So, so, magazine-esque! All this talk of butts, I wish my big preggo butt was there... ;) Hang in there you northern troopers!

Unknown said...

Wow that is amazing and beautiful! Oh and thanks for making me covet your yummy looking deserts! I have never heard of June berries or here. They look lovely though and I hope your trees did not freeze!
Looks like a great fun gathering. We are having colder weather here today as well! Not as cold as you are though I am sure.
Have a great weekend
Joy

DayPhoto said...

Beautiful! The setting was just beautiful!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

grammy said...

That looked like the place to be. Sorry it was so cold. It was lovely. I assume it was the berry peoples party. Wish I had been there.

Anonymous said...

What a fun post - everything looks so pretty and COLD and delicious!

Dawn said...

You know you three (PC, Berry Girl and Chris) are all gonna be surprised when I show up on your door step someday... yelling, "Surprise! I'm here! Where's the the s'toon berries???" LOL

Tricia said...

Absolutely beautiful and so yummy looking! Wish I could have been there... looks like it was lots of fun!

Blessings!

outdoor.mom said...

oh lovely!!! your pictures are so pretty. I just made that dessert this past week (though it wasn't as pretty).