Friday, June 12, 2009

One Fine Day

It’s been a wretchedly cool, annoyingly windy, not exactly joy inducing kind of spring.  And the worst part of it all is things are bone dry.  For all the chill and gray we have been experiencing, there has been very little rain.  I’ve been working extra hard to “look on the bright side” but seriously, the climate has stretched the limit of even my long arm of optimism and grace.  I’ve been pretty peeved for quite a while now.  Today I was sure it was going to pour.  Twice I ran to get separate loads of laundry off the line as  the first big drops started to fall.  Nothing.  The sky gets all black and menacing, a huge wind rises, and they all blow away and the sun comes out to trick us into believing it is here to stay only to have a repeat performance, ad nauseam. 

But last night?  Last night was enchanted.  It was the first time in I don’t know how long that there wasn’t a breath of wind.  The sky was clear with just a few of those puffy clouds, and the sun was in its lower reaches when everything gets that softer, not so bright and stark appearance and you just breathe it all in. 

I wandered back into the orchard and just had to scoot back to the house to grab my camera.  The kids were in bed already, everything was so still and surreal and quiet apart from the many soothing sounds of nature.   Birds in their nests, grasshoppers and frogs in the pond, the lambs in the pasture.  It was a perfect summer evening and I soaked up every minute of it,  and captured a few for good measure.

“Merrily, merrily shall I live now

IMG_6283

under the blossom that hangs on the bough.”

IMG_6284

William Shakespeare

IMG_6268

“The apple blossoms shower of pearl

IMG_6267

though blended of rosier hue

IMG_6266

as beautiful as a woman’s blush

IMG_6273

As evanescent too.”

IMG_6275

Letitia Elizabeth Landon

IMG_6251

“And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud   

IMG_6290

was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”

IMG_6289

Anais Nin

Some of you have emailed me to ask what’s on my mind since I’ve been rather visual and not overly verbal the past few weeks.  It’s true, it’s not like me to keep my ponderings to myself.  My mind has been active, pondering  things like wisdom, peace, the pursuit of Godliness, discipleship and ministry.  When time and energy converge to create a channel for me to share a window into my brain I promise I will.  For the moment I  hope you will continue enjoying a window into my physical world because right now merely being aware and appreciative of the miracles that surround me is a liberating act of worship.

15 comments:

Dawn said...

Your pictures were so incredible, I swear I could smell the blossoms!!!

Looking forward to hearing what's been pondered in your heart.

Blessings, friend!

Joy said...

I love the pictures! You do a very good job..and I love what you have been doing lately! Sometimes life isn't always about spilling our ponderings, so keep on my friend I love seeing the view from your front porch, back porch, yard, orchard where ever it is really pretty. I hope and pray your weather will take a turn for the good and stay nice and pretty just like spring..and summer. It so makes us all here at my house feel better when we can get outside and I am sure it does the same for you and yours! Have a blessed weekend, and don't worry about those ponderings just keep on keeping on! You deserve a break!
thanks for sharing your pictures they are gorgeous!
Joy

Mac an Rothaich said...

We had only two blossoming trees on our street to enjoy but enjoy we did. Right now the pedals are slowly covering our lawn like snow as the blossoms fade. Such a lovely post. Glad you where blessed in your own back yard after so many days and weeks of sorrowful weather. I keep thinking about that scripture that talks about clouds promising rain but delivering nothing... it is a troubling thing...

Unknown said...

>>Right now the petals are slowly covering our lawn like snow as the blossoms fade.<<

"Gather ye rosebuds while ye may, old Time is still a-flying: and this same flower that smiles today
Tomorrow will be dying."

Robert Herrick

=)

PW said...

Isn't it something this time of the year, you can put kids to bed, and still have light enough to enjoy the evening outside! Beautiful pictures, and words. God's creation is something, isn't it? !!!

Blessings.

Linda said...

It really was a perfect day. We are much the same here in Texas. Sometimes the rain is so close you can smell it in the air, but it all goes away without a drop for our parched land. I am trying to be content with these scorching days and long drought.
I am feeling much the way you are. In fact, I think I'm just going to take a little bloggy break. I'm a bit parched and dry and need time to just be.

Holly said...

Oh-such lovely pictures! Holly

~Brenda said...

Love, love, love those pictures. Wish I could imitate the quality of them.

Thank you for your beautiful photography and words. You are very talented.

Your blogging buddy on the Prairie,

~Brenda ;-)

NanaNor's said...

Whether you post photos or words, I am blessed beyond measure by it. Love the blossoms, our Lord certainly graces us with beauty, day in and day out. I too am ready for warmer weather, we've had more rain than last year. Blessings to you my friend.

K-Sue said...

Thank you for sharing these blossoms and the quotes. Beautiful pictures. Beautiful words.

Emily said...

The visual story says so much on its own. Thanks for sharing the beauty you've had eyes to see.

Cynthia said...

I admire yoru ability to blend visual with words...you write beautifully

I also find myself envying the glorious place you live....my city scapes are so dull in comparison!

outdoor.mom said...

you inspire me :-)

outdoor.mom said...

i just have to add that i love it that you have depth.

Unknown said...

depth... so funny, I've been practicing depth of field in my photography and had my first decent successes in some of these shots, and somehow my brain thought that was what you were commending me for. I have a love hate relationship with depth. I despise the shallows but the depths that beckon me sometimes threaten to drown me *wink*.