No, sadly that is not the month, or the forecast. The ground is covered with snow, it’s cold. Winter seems to have chased fall off the stage leaving little hope for even an encore. Such a dreary and cool summer we had, with a fall cut short, it does tempt one to lament, but I will choose a thankful heart as only thus will I live with a joyful spirit and who wants to knowingly choose misery?
But back to August and Lovely. What *am* I referring to? Sweet words in the introduction to Good Wives (Louisa May Alcott) painting a picture of Mr. March who was absent for most of the duration of Little Women. I must say my heart warmed to him immediately.
The war is over, and Mr. March safely at home, busy with his books and the small parish which found in him a minister by nature as by grace, a quiet, studious man, rich in the wisdom that is better than learning, the charity which calls all mankind `brother', the piety that blossoms into character, making it august and lovely.
These attributes, in spite of poverty and the strict integrity which shut him out from the more worldly successes, attracted to him many admirable persons, as naturally as sweet herbs draw bees, and as naturally he gave them the honey into which fifty years of hard experience had distilled no bitter drop. Earnest young men found the gray-headed scholar as young at heart as they, thoughtful or troubled women instinctively brought their doubts to him, sure of finding the gentlest sympathy, the wisest counsel. Sinners told their sins to the pure-hearted old man and were both rebuked and saved. Gifted men found a companion in him. Ambitious men caught glimpses of nobler ambitions than their own, and even worldlings confessed that his beliefs were beautiful and true…”
Good Wives, Chapter One.
As naturally as sweet herbs draw bees… *sigh*. A lovely sentiment. An all around picture of loveliness and grace, really. I think this is such a wonderful picture of Christlikeness in so many ways. Mmmmm.... emotionally delicious.
9 comments:
mmmmmm...that is just lovely. August and lovely. Thanks for that.
I (rerererere+)read LW in the beginning of this year. We just finished listening to it in the van (twice in a row) and now you're making me want to read it again. I'm in my annual reading of the Mitford series and headed back through all my Austen, but I may have to make a detour. Of course, I should just finish Les Mis, but I love love love to read so much just one book isn't enough. Besides, my Sweetheart gave me the most delicious edition of LW just after I'd finished with my copy from the library and I have been aching to hold it and read it and enjoy it. There are also the antique editions of Uncle Tom's Cabin and Cranford that just appeared earlier this month, too...What is a girl to do?
Oh Kimberly! My heart rate just escalated dramatically just READING all those endearing titles, LOL. I'm almost salivating, LOL. I don't have much time to read for my own pleasure anymore but you can bet your bottom dollar that as my kids get old enough to "handle" all my favorite classics, I will be incorporating them as read alouds. With an hour of read alouds a day, plus at least half hour to read my oldest daughters readers (on my own, so that we can have great discussions), and my bible time, that's about all I can cram into these days.
I wish I had more time to read. Love your quote. Reading Kimberly's comment made me want to head to the library...
Hi sweet P.C., Loved reading this and I send big warm hugs to you today. Yesterday I read your post and the comments from a couple of days ago and I hurt for you-I am so inline with what you share and say and for someone to take issues irks me. So girl, you keep sharing your heart,o..k. Much love to you and yours today.
Noreen
I saw the movie many times, but now I have to read the book. Thanks for a very poignant post, prairie prologer!
Thank you for sharing that beautiful excerpt. I just love reading the old books. I get lost in the pages and feel sort of disoriented when I close the book.
It is a joy to read books that leave you feeling uplifted.
Thanks sweet girl.
i miss august!!! today the ground was full of snow here!! your photo makes me wish i could rerun time!!
loverly...sigh...
Post a Comment