Friday, October 30, 2009

Hello Mayberry

581226_66636431

Life is funny.  I’ve been a lot of places, met a lot of amazing people, seen a lot of really cool stuff, had a chance to be part of some brilliant work places.  Now here I am, livin’ the simple, quiet life (figuratively speaking of course as most of the time it’s anything but quiet around here). 

Our home in Italy was reminiscent of any Tuscan villa you would see in any movie with a Florentine setting, with sweeping vistas of sunflower fields, olive groves and vineyards falling and rising in all directions.  Yet these fields that surround me here have just as much intrigue and beauty as any Tuscan landscape.  And so much more.

Whenever people hear about where we’ve come from, and where we live now, they inevitably gasp and ask, “What brought you HERE?”  And I just smile, and get all sentimental inside, and a favorite song starts drumming away in my head.

I don’t have to “miss” Mayberry.  Cause I live there.  And I literally live on that old dirt road that isn’t listed on the map.  *grin*.  And I’m lovin’ it.


Mayberry - Rascal Flatts

“Sometimes it feels like this world is spinning faster
Than it did in the old days 
So naturally, we have more natural disasters 
From the strain of a fast pace

Sunday was a day of rest
Now, it’s one more day for progress
And we can’t slow down ‘cause more is best
It’s all an endless process

I miss Mayberry
Sitting on the porch drinking ice-cold cherry Coke
Where everything is black & white                       

Picking on a six string
Where people pass by & you call them by their first name
Watching the clouds roll by
Bye, bye

Sometimes I can hear this old earth shouting
Through the trees as the wind blows
That’s when I climb up here on this mountain
To look through God’s window
Now I can’t fly
But I got two feet that get me high up here
Above the noise and city streets
My worries disappear

I miss Mayberry
Sitting on the porch drinking ice-cold cherry Coke
Where everything is black & white                       

Picking on a six string
Where people pass by & you call them by their first name
Watching the clouds roll by
Bye, bye

Sometimes I dream I’m driving down an old dirt road
Not even listed on a map
I pass a dad and son carrying a fishing pole
But I always wake up every time I try to turn back

I miss Mayberry
Sitting on the porch drinking ice-cold cherry Coke
Where everything is black & white                       

Picking on a six string
Where people pass by & you call them by their first name
Watching the clouds roll by

Bye, bye.

Or in our case.  “Hello.”

16 comments:

Mac an Rothaich said...

I understand some of where you are coming from, although I have never been as far away from the prairies as you have. It is wonderful that you see the beauty and love where you are... so much healthier then an outlook of complaint about where we are living:) I shall try to never say 'it is just the prairies' again.

Dawn said...

(Big smile on my face!)

That's how we feel about Texas. We're both from different parts of this country and have lived in numerous places (none quite as exotic as YOU, though!) but Texas just feels right. Feels like "us."

Love the song. Have you ever heard the song "Boondocks" by a band called Little Big Town? Check it out - you'll probably like it.

Chinobilly Mamma said...

I'm livin' my Mayberry too! I've never lived anywhere other than where I was born and raised. I'm sooooo content with it though. Roots run deep and I see the beatuy in where I am because this is where my loved ones are. 4 generations strong. It's beautiful here too just not as green as your prairie.
Have a blessed weekend!

Berry Girl said...

oooh, I love this song :) Every once in a while Berry Guy asks me where else I would like to live if we weren't here, and I never have an answer. I just can't imagine anywhere being better than here...

SimplyDarlene said...

Oh, this is beauty and pain all wrapped in one for me...

We are nearing week 3 of our uprooted and transplanted life. And I admittedly am having a horrible time adjusting. While living in a less than desirable rental, our home is being bought by someone else. We are looking for a new place that blends with our hearts and His desires for us...

What does a girl do when her roots run deep, but she had to pluck 'em out, shake off the dirt, and drag them to a new place?

* I have missed your place here. I am getting a new set of normal and hope to stop by more often as my heart and time allows.

Blessings.

Linda said...

I'm with you. I think you have found your perfect place to raise your family.
I smiled when I read Dawn's comment. We've been in Texas for 27 years now. It isn't that it's the most beautiful place we've ever seen, there is just a "spirit' about this place. It is home and all that that encompasses. And we are so content.

outdoor.mom said...

i love your blog :-) you are such a talented blogger. don't tell anybody, but you're one of my fav blogs to visit.

Anyway, twice i left homes that i loved (and close family) to follow God and do His will. It was difficult, but the supernatural blessing on our lives has been well worth the earthly struggle. May the anointing of God rest on your section of prarie :-)

K-Sue said...

Love it! With the expansion of the "911" calling system, The farm where I grew up now has an official street address. My parents now live on a dirt road that does have a name.

Jen said...

I've been thinking alot about the quote "the grass is always greener" lately. I don't know about Canadians, but here in the U.S. there is a lot of fascination with all things European. Those locales always seem to hold a magic we don't think exists back on this continent. We are called to be content right where we are, in whatever circumstances God has placed us. God's world is so varied and each part holds different types of beauty. Some of it is grandeur, majestic mountain peaks, and knock-you-off-your-feet type of beauty. Sometimes, beauty is in quiet sublety, changing shadows, a single flower or an ancient tree. I think it's wonderful that you are content with the beauty God has chosen to surround you. As the years go by, simplicity becomes more and more beautiful to me.

Unknown said...

*Country Girl*. I'm sorry. I know what that is like. I also have been uprooted from the lifestyle I love and dropped into a cesspool of everything foreign and uncomfortable to me. Even there I have learned to find beauty and joy and please know, wherever I was, in this moment, I would find a way to post the same type of endearing and romantic thoughts. It's not a matter of circumstances, but a choice of the heart. I'm sorry if anything I said brought you pain and nostalgia. I pray you will find joy and beauty in the simple things, the way the sunlight slants through one of the windows of your home, the beating heart of your beloved, no longer removed from you by miles of distance. (((be blessed))).

Unknown said...

*Jenn*

>>Sometimes, beauty is in quiet sublety, changing shadows, a single flower or an ancient tree. <<

YES. So true. You have such a way with words, my friend.

Tricia said...

Life is definitely much better and more fulfilling lived in the slow pace... where you have time to enjoy your family, your friends, and the blessings that God has given us. I think it also allows us to hear His voice clearer and more often, as we are not bogged down with all the "stuff" the world leads us to think we should do...

Enjoy your Mayberry!

Blessings!

Mac an Rothaich said...

Country Girl, I feel for you too when I read your comment. We had to leave our home town and got stuck in rentals for two years with no idea where we where going. I struggled so hard trying to understand the concept of carrying on with a constant feeling of being ungrounded... I will pray for you:) We feel that we are now where God meant us to be and although I still miss my hometown I am feeling brave enough to work on making community where I am. Bless you!

Chris said...

Love it. Love the song. Love the prairie. I tried moving 'home', living where I grew up... somehow it was never 'home' again. This prairie soil/sky/air has me in a firm grip (okay, I know it's God that has planted this love in me, but you get the idea) I love so many things about here, and even if this house isn't my paradise, I am home.

Alleluiabelle said...

Hi Dear Friend,

I love this post. It brought a huge smile to my face because a dear friend of mine and I call the little town we live in Mayberry. Whenever we do a girl time out, when we return we always take a drive-around tour of our little town of Mayberry before I drop her off at her home. I love the slow life and I know what you mean, no matter where we are there is always beauty to be found even in the smallest of things. I've lived in this little town for 54 years, born and raised here and I love it. Beauty can be found in the simplest thing such as watching the squirrels gathering nuts in our yard recently. That has captured my attention. My lower back gave out on me this past week so I've had lots of time over the past week to sit with the heating pad on my back and watch what is going on outside our big picture window. I quietly sit and pray, as I gaze out the big window and thank God for everything in my life.

I'm glad I stopped over. I haven't been able to sit at my computer for a while to visit like I would like to, but I'm here now and thank you for bringing such a huge smile to my face P.C. You're the absolute best.

Love you,
Alleluiabelle

Anonymous said...

Some day soon, why not come over and visit my Mayberry...
House is getting mud & taped this week, should be in by Christmas.
Missing you,
Amber