Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Symphony of Grace

38982_3891

If life were a symphony
conducted from above

humanity an orchestra,
the score entitled “Love"

Each life would be an instrument
with a cardinal part to play

Each element designed to be
essential in some way.

It wouldn’t be the soloist
taking centre stage

or certain proud ensembles
that dominate the page

But the harmony of one and all
that would cause a shiver

to run up the spine of the spectator
and set their soul aquiver

To each and every one of us
is assigned a special place

a spot designed for us just so
in the Symphony of Grace.

Sometimes I fear I play alone,
that none play my same page

Oft tone deaf to the harmony
that graces this vast stage

But then again, at times someone
pulls up a seat close by

whose score is quite familiar,
with an instrument like mine

Oh joy! I do not play alone,
a misfit set at large

I’m at once part of a greater corps
and smaller entourage

I rejoice you play beside me
and for the melody that results

when we each take up our instrument
and let our hearts exult

in this exuberant crescendo
that sets our souls ablaze

For we are His workmanship,
ordained to bring Him Praise.




I discovered the first draft of this poem buried deep in my archives, something I was working on some time ago. Now, as I took a second go at it I found it to be such a fitting illustration for my recent reflections on grace. Truly we play a beautiful tune when we learn to appreciate and relish the beauty of our diversity and to compliment one another in heavenly harmony.

9 comments:

grammy said...

Yesss..beautiful tune it is (o:

Linda said...

I love this. It is just beautiful. It is a perfect analogy for the body of Christ and the working of His grace in each of us - individually and corporately. We are each unique and special and when rightly fitted together we make a perfect whole.

Unknown said...

PC - your words, always lovely!

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Beautiful melodies here ...

Wow.

You inspire me.

travelmom said...

Simply beautiful! "let our hearts exult in this exuberant crescendo that sets our souls ablaze..."

Blaze on.

Dawn said...

Gorgeous! I think you need to compile your writing into a book!

Mac an Rothaich said...

Lovely.
I love all the brothers and sisters I have that are nothing like me! It adds spice to life to embrace all the different members of the Church. We ALL are the body of Christ!

Jen said...

I love this! Amazing writing, Prairie Chick! I agree with Dawn, you need to write a book!

K-Sue said...

Has anyone set this to music?