Monday, November 16, 2009

From Leftovers to Crumbs

131626_2413

I have been listening and re-listening to Bebo Norman’s “My Only Hope” paired with thoughts of this poem by Wilbur Rees. 

“I would like to buy $3 worth of God, please.
Not enough to explode my soul or disturb my sleep,
but just enough to equal a warm cup of milk
or a snooze in the sunshine.
I don't want enough of God to make me love a homeless man
or pick beets with a migrant.
I want ecstasy, not transformation.
I want the warmth of the womb not a new birth.
I want a pound of the Eternal in a paper sack
I would like to buy $3 worth of God please”

Wilbur Rees

Bebo sings;

“I want a crumb, but you are a feast
I want a song, but you are a symphony
I want a star, but you are a galaxy
And I have resolved that I'm much better off
In what you have for me.”

If I don’t want to offer leftovers to God, how much less do I want to be blessed with only $3.00 worth of His grace and blessing and goodness (and I’m not talking just in pleasant circumstances, here).  No.  No leftovers on my part.  No satisfaction in crumbs.  I will feast on Him today.

I want to run, it's my nature to run
And I want to fight, it's my nature to fight
And I want to live, but you tell me to die
I have resolved that I'm much better off
In your hands than mine

I'm begging you to hold on tight
Begging you to hold on tight
Begging you to hold on tight
Begging you to take my life from me

I want a crumb, but you are a feast
I want a song, but you are a symphony
I want a star, but you are a galaxy
And I have resolved that I'm much better off
In what you have for me

I'm begging you to hold on tight
Begging you to hold on tight 
Begging you to take my life from me

So tell me you won't let go
Tell me you won't let go
Cause you are the only hope for me

Take my life from me, It's the only hope for me
Take my life from me, It's the only hope for me

And I'll never want for more
I'll never want for more

11 comments:

outdoor.mom said...

so glad to have a gluttonous God friend like you always leading me to more food ;-) I always thought I was a hungry kind of God chick till I met you!!

Mac an Rothaich said...

Beautiful. I thank the Lord so often for brothers and sisters who are gifted in writing music with wisdom and power. Reminds me a bit of a song I have been feasting on lately...

"What we hope for is not too much to ask for and what we pray for isn't nearly big enough. Cause what we dream of cannot compare to God's love and what he wants for us is so much more, more then what we hope for."

I feel like I have had to surrender a lot of my dreams in life but words like this bless my little selfish soul with the truth that what he has IS so much better and I need to start believing bigger and better in my walk with Jesus:)

outdoor.mom said...

Ok, so I'm back again!! I just had to say that I held our Accountabity group here today and I read your post to them. I also played them the song. They all enjoyed the post and were encouraged :-)

Prairie Chick said...

>>gluttonous God friend<<

ooohhhh, that might have to be the nicest name anyone has ever called me, LOL! I love it.

Megan at Simple Kids said...

You, my sister, are an amazingly gifted writer. Thank you for popping by SK today and leaving such lovely thoughts.

This post - the poem and song - wow. Challenging on a deep, deep level.

More of You, more of You . . . my daily prayer.

Linda said...

Yes - you are a gifted writer and a dear sweet sister. How foolish we are to settle for so little when He offers us so much. I have lived like a pauper for far too much of my life. I want all He has for me.

K-Sue said...

This reminds me of a quote from C.S. Lewis - "We are far too easily pleased."

mom2six said...

This is lovely. I read this recently in a Max Lucado book, "A Puritan sat down to a meal of bread and water. He bowed his head a prayed, "All this and Jesus too!" "God is my Shepherd, I don't need a thing" Psalm 23:1 The Message

Girl In a Glass House said...

This was so delightful. I had not heard this song an it utterly blessed me, especially the part you highlighted!

Your blog is a special part of my weekly journey in cyberspace

Thank you

Tricia said...

I love the message of this song! Thanks so for sharing it... I really need to find some time to blog again, I have so much in my heart that I would like to share and pour out... coming to visit here is like a breath of fresh air, thanks for sharing with us! You are a blessing...

Hannah said...

Wow, love the Rees quote, just plastered it on FB. So much to think about!
Hannah