growth chart from the pottery barn
I loved this concise yet detailed breakdown of the basic developmental stages of both growth and conflict in the life of the disciple in the introduction to The Daily Discipler. I found it fascinating to look at the stages of development and be able to track my own growth pretty clearly on the chart. Check it out;
Levels of Conflictthen there is another chart for levels of growth that mirrors the first chart and our inner conflicts
Spiritual
Level 1 lack of salvation or assurance thereof (Eph 2:1-3)
Level 2 living according to the flesh (Gal 5:19-21)
Level 3 insensitive to the spirit's leading (Heb 5:11-14)
Rational
Level 1 pride and ignorance (1 Cor 8:1)
Level 2 wrong belief or philosophy (Col 2:8)
Level 3 lack of knowledge (Hos 4:6)
Emotional
Level 1 fearful, guilty or shameful (Mat 10:26-33; Rom 3:23)
Level 2 angry, anxious or depressed (Eph 4:31; 1 Pet 5:7; 2 Cor 4:1-18)
Level 3 discouraged and sorrowful (Gal 6:9)
Volitional
Level 1 rebellious (1 Tim 1:9)
Level 2 lack of self control (1 Cor 3:1-3)
Level 3 undisciplined (2 Thess 3:7,11)
Relational
Level 1 rejected and unloved (1 Pet 2:4)
Level 2 bitter and unforgiving (Col 3:13)
Level 3 selfish (1 Cor 10:24; Phil 2:1-5
Spiritual
Level 1 child of God (Rom 8:16)
Level 2 lives according to the Spirit (Gal 5:22-23)
Level 3 led by the Spirit (Rom 8:14)
Rational
Level 1 knows the truth (John 8:32)
Level 2 correctly uses the Bible (2 Tim 2:15)
Level 3 adequate and equipped (2 Tim 3:16-17)
Emotional
Level 1 free (Gal 5:1)
Level 2 joyful, peaceful and patient (Gal 5:22)
Level 3 contented (Phil 4:11)
Volitional
Level 1 submissive (Rom 13:1-5)
Level 2 self controlled (Gal 5:23)
Level 3 disciplined (1 Tim 4:7-8)
Relational
Level 1 accepted and forgiven (Rom 5:8; 15:7)
Level 2 forgiving (Eph 4:32)
Level 3 loving and unselfish. (Phil 2:1-5)
(Neil T. Anderson, The Daily Discipler, pp14-15)I have to say this just was such an eye opener to me. To look at those phases of conflict paired with the phases of growth and to actually "see" what it is we should be growing into, and examine where we are at on the growth chart. When we are struggling with something to be able to hold it up to this and ask, "what am I really struggling with here?" If it's submission, then is it pride, or rebellion, or self control on my part that I need to check? I'm liking this tool.

4 comments:
That is very cool!! I printed it out to keep in my journal...and in the forefront of my mind! Can you list the verses...either here or via email?? Thanks, chickie.
binaspad at yahoo dot com
Hey, Bina. I added the scripture references into the chart. Hope that helps!
It sounds like such practical wisdom. I get discouraged when I struggle with the same things over and over again - never seeming to grow the way I should.
I will "stay tuned" to see what you think :-)
Sometimes I struggle and don't stop to ask the question "What am I really struggling with here". What a great discipline to see that when my issues don't line up with God's I should stop and look at what He has to stay on that subject and respond according to His words - not my will, emotions, reasoning, or spiritual ideas.
Post a Comment