Was culling my cd collection today and decided to give some oldies one last trial listen before packing them up for the Sally Anne. Was taken back listening to Kathy Mattea and Wynonna... man, it's been awhile! When "I wear your love" came on it was one of those "wait a minute" moments where I was moved to the point of having to dry my dishwater hands and run to back track it and crank the volume. The words touched me to my core, and I had butterflies in my stomach. Surely it's motherhood that has made this song meaningful to me in a way it never was. The song is clearly implying parental/unconditional love, and it moved me to want my children to feel this way. Not only about my love, but about their heavenly Father's. I know I couldn't help but think of Him as I listened as well. So beautiful, just had to share.
"The things I've collected, bought or selected
the clutter that fills up my rooms
I can lock up and leave it, never retrieve it,
leave nothing but my love for you.
Let the storm winds blow, I will not be cold....
Cause I wear your love
thrown over my shoulders like a blanket of down
I wear your love
like a bright suit of armor reflecting the sun.
On the chilliest night, though I travel light,
it is always enough, for I wear your love.
You watched without knowing, where I was going
trusting the vision I'd found.
If dreams were a fire, I had desire
that could burn this old house to the ground.
But I walk quite free, for surrounding me...
I wear your love
like the scarf that I borrowed that still holds your perfume.
I wear your love
pulled tight as I'm sleeping in the cold of this room.
On the chilliest night, though I travel light
it is always enough, for I wear your love.
Don't you know, can't you see
head to toe it is covering me
like a snow, the oceans tide.
Nothing can hurt me or turn me aside
For I wear your love
thrown over my shoulders like a blanket of down.
I wear your love
like a badge of devotion above and beyond.
On the chilliest night... though I travel light
it is always enough. For I wear your love."
Gary Burr (from the album Time Passes By by Kathy Mattea)
No comments:
Post a Comment