Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Birds and the Bees Knees

Well, the going got green and I got going.  Who wants to sit in front of a computer when there is a (relatively) warm and (increasingly) green world opening up and coming to life all around?  I have spent the past few weeks happily planting my garden (1 row of lettuce and swiss chard, 4 rows carrots, 1 row parsnips, 3 rows onions, 6 rows beans, 8 rows peas, 7 rows corn, huge plot of potatoes, 1 row of asparagus crowns, 1 row zucchini and egg plant, 1 row tomatoes and 1 row of red, green, yellow and sweet banana peppers), as well as transplanting a long hedge of raspberries from one side of my garden to another. 

IMG_5730

and re-locating about 40 strawberry plants.

IMG_5725

Then of course there has been the grass to cut (oh joy!  and I say that with all sincerity, I LOVE cutting the grass!),

IMG_5935

weeding, weeding and more weeding, and working with my flowers.  In between times I can be found lounging on my swing with my kids and our books and soaking up sights like the following.

Two little ducks that are nesting on our pond

IMG_5684

I love to watch them paddle around so serenely

IMG_5683

I love the sound of their take off when we get too close   

IMG_5692

Do you see Mr. Mystery Mallard hiding behind the twigs?  I didn’t even see him when I took the shot.

IMG_5685

It’s been crazy windy, so we’ve made a lot of sweet (if you’re a girl) finds like this 

IMG_5833

and cool (if you’re a boy) finds like this;

IMG_5845

I put up new bird feeders and they seem to be a huge hit    

IMG_5851

Maybe not quite “roomy” enough for all of our guests

IMG_5853

I watch them while I’m washing dishes, and I can’t get enough.

IMG_5865

and they can’t seem to get enough of my feed. 

IMG_5859

they just keep coming back for more.

IMG_5855

This one is a more serene and peaceful bed and breakfast type

IMG_5943

we get to watch it from our dining room window

IMG_5944

Our other dining room window faces south  where I get to see this;

hummin'along

and lots and lots of this.

IMG_5926

So you see?  My absence here is CLEARLY justified!

15 comments:

Joy said...

Ah spring! So glad you have got to be away busy outside your home! I love the garden and my yard! I could work it in around the clock! Especially when the weather is so nice! We have been doing much the same here, except the hanging out laundry my line broke and I have yet to find another! *sigh*
Doesn't being outside just raise your spirits! I am so thankful for a yard and garden to keep we are truly blessed!
Have a great day!
Joy

Chris said...

Wow! You've been BUSY!! That is one ambitious garden you've planted... good thing you've got such good help around. It's going to look fabulous coming up too. (my bean/pea teepee is just beginning to emerge from the ground... I'm nearly giddy!)
I'm in love with your birdfeeder too... very sweet and inviting.

Leanne said...

When spring first "sprung" around here we were outside all the time too! I just love a warm day with a cool breeze, it is so refreshing! You have been very busy, gardening is so rewarding! You have such beautiful birds and as always captured such great pictures of them. I love the laundry blowing in the wind, I have got to get a clothes line put up! Enjoy this beautiful time of the year! Leanne

NanaNor's said...

Love all the pic's. You are amazing PC, do you know that! So much bounty that you will harvest...how wonderful. I love the bird feeder too-when we get our own yard, dh is going to put up one with a big tray underneath to catch the falling seed and avoid the weeds. I hate weeds but I love watching the birds.
Have a blessed day. I am so thankful for you!
Noreen

grammy said...

Yes, clearly justified (o: The garden sounds like it will be wonderful. have a few things planted, but not a huge one like you. Have fun in the swing.

Unknown said...

Wonderful pictures. You have indeed been a busy woman!

Mac an Rothaich said...

Oh if I had a garden spot and birds like that to watch I would be blissfully forgetful about my blog too;) Lovely!

The McMurrays said...

OH, so, so sweeet! Though I've missed you... ;)

DayPhoto said...

IT is! And I agree with you! I just love spring and all it brings!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Linda said...

Absolutely. Ain't spring grand?

P.S. I've missed you too.

Dawn said...

I thought to myself yesterday that I just bet you were out getting the garden going.

Love your bird pictures. I LOVE birds and have feeders, too. Your little yellow bird is so pretty. Do the squirrels bother your feeder with it so close to the tree?

I just wish I could have a nice big garden like yours - or at least a neighbor that did! Ha!

Blessings!
Dawn

PS - Did you receive your package yet?

Anonymous said...

Such beautiful pictures! It's a great time of year to enjoy all of God's blessings. Hope you and your family enjoy the weekend.

Tricia said...

Just beautiful... I just love the way you share your life through pictures! And I love the "cool" find you all found...

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Blessings!

outdoor.mom said...

those photos are INCREDIBLE! Especially that baby bird hatching. All I can Say is W-O-W!!!

Debbie in CA : ) said...

My kindred friend,

It is the coolest weather for June that we have ever experienced since moving here. Though we miss the WARMTH so generally accepted for early June, it has been a delightful time of extended Spring.

We are far beyond you in terms of blooms and garden tasks, BUT . . . birdies are a universal delight with all the same joy found in their watching. I have no feeders, but rather planted out LOTS that bloom and berry for them to enjoy. (They even nabbed our only cherries -- grrrrr!) Various fountains call them to frolick and play.

It has been harder to tie myself down and share all the delightful doings around here . . . and pop in to follow all of my bloggy friends. So glad I stopped by in the wee hours of this morn to see what you are up to. Good stuff! : D

enJOY! XO ~~ Debbie