This post written some time last month over at Small Notebook got me seriously thinking about the concept of a balanced life. Being the intense girl that I am, one of the first things that I do when I start contemplating something is simply look it up in the dictionary. Here are a few of the facets of “balance” that stood out to me;
2. A state of equilibrium or parity characterized by cancellation of all forces by equal opposing forces.
5. A stable mental or psychological state; emotional stability.
6. A harmonious or satisfying arrangement or proportion of parts or elements, as in a design.
9. Equality of totals in the debit and credit sides of an account.
Hmmmm…. good stuff. I like the words equality, stability, proportion, equilibrium. I like them alot.
Here are some great thoughts on balance.
People with great gifts are easy to find, but symmetrical and balanced ones never. Ralph Waldo Emmerson
Happiness is not a matter of intensity but of balance and order and rhythm and harmony. Thomas Merton
Be aware of wonder. Live a balanced life - learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some. Robert Fulghum
We need to maintain a proper balance in our life by allocating the time we have. There are occasions where saying no is the best time management practice there is. Catherine Pulsifer
What I dream of is an art of balance. Henri Matisse
Balance is beautiful. Miyoko Ohno
I’m really being enriched by this train of thought. I’m looking at my life with fresh eyes, realizing anew that I was uniquely designed with God given purpose in mind. I’ve also come to the realization that if I am going to live a balanced life I need to focus. I need to have clear goals in mind and exercise discipline in order to achieve them.
I came up with my own personal Balancing Act;
Spiritual, my relationship with God. This includes the elements of reading (the Word), praying, worshiping and listening to the preached Word.
Ministry, my role in kingdom building, right now this centers on discipling my kids which includes, homeschooling, family devotions, bedtime prayers, memory work, etc.
Work, home management. Big job as this includes the daily chores of not just housecleaning, cooking and laundry but also of running the farm, caring for the yard and gardening. No, my husband is not kicking back while I do all the work. He’s working and renovating this old house and doing all the “big jobs”.
Marriage and Family, relationally investing and connecting with my husband and children on an individual basis. Cuddling, playing, intentionally and meaningfully conversing.
Mission, investing in the lives of others, both churched and un-churched. Right now in this stage of life this is mostly done through hospitality and involves either providing childcare, making a meal, having people over for coffee and conversation, writing an encouragement card, praying for someone, or welcoming families into our home and into our lives.
Me, Taking care of this temple He’s gifted me with. This one has a pretty hefty sub-list that includes things relating to my mental, emotional and physical health. It includes things as unrelated as getting enough water, exercise, spending time alone with friends, reading, blogging, taking my vitamins… you get the idea.
It’s impossible to contemplate balance without recognizing two other factors that are intrinsically coupled with a balanced lifestyle. Time management and discipline. I’ll share more thoughts on where those ponderings have led me soon!
16 comments:
Good thoughts. I especially liked the quote by Robert Fulgham.
Wow! That was a great post. It gave me much to "chew on" today as we chinbillies like to say. Thank you for your tenderness for the Lord and for sharing it with others. It helps me walk closer with Him too. God bless and have a great week!
Great post! Balance, something we all need and well I love balance in my life and am always tweaking something so the scale is always more level. Great thought provoking and thanks for sharing how you strive for balance and your balancing goals!
Joy
This is so encouraging. I loved the quote by Thomas Merton. I do believe I should do my own little balance audit! Thanks for sharing.
I've missed your thoughts, LADY!! Love it...
You always challenge me - and that's a really good thing.
At my age you would think I have this business of balance all figured out! Not so. I struggle with it daily. I tend to get side -tracked and then get far too absorbed in one thing. I mean - playing games on my new laptop for hours on end. Totally ridiculous! I think there's something about self-control in the Word.....
I look forward to more about this. In the meantime, you've given me great food for thought. Although it really is time I stopped thinking about this and started actually doing something.
ah yes. The elusive "balance". I want it too. I love the Thomas Merton quote..."balance and order and rhythm and harmony". Just beautiful. I would love for my days to look like that.
Time management and discipline are what always trip me up. I have to have my planner by my side and be using it constantly just to keep track of the little things. Each day I make tally marks in my planner to keep track of how much water I drink. I have to write the most basic tasks in that planner both to make sure I don't get sidetracked from doing them and so I can see what I've done at the end of the day. Without that planner, my head is lost in the clouds thinking of a million different projects to start--and likely never finish.
A wonderful post... and one that I completely identify with at this season in my life. I truly feel that God has me pulling away from so many "good" activities to focus more on my family as I go into this new season of homeschooling... He is wanting me to be balanced so that I am able to do what He is calling me to do...
This is what I most identified with:
"Ministry, my role in kingdom building, right now this centers on discipling my kids which includes, homeschooling, family devotions, bedtime prayers, memory work, etc."
However, it saddens me that others do not understand that this is what I am called to do and desire to do... but I have to keep my focus on God and not on what others think or say...
So thankful I can always find encouragement and edification here! Keep being you and sharing Him with us!!
Blessings!
My Dear Friend,
Balance has been a tough one for me over the past 2 1/2 yrs. due to my husband's heart surgery and major life changes resulting from it...along with this falls commitment too, for me, which has been very hard to do. I've been trying to find a fine 'balance' between the two, but haven't achieved it yet. I've had to say no to a lot of things and people. You encourage and inspire me with this post. You always do my precious friend.
We are heading out tomorrow for my husband's heart cath in Burlington, VT scheduled for Wednesday morning. Please keep him and us and in your prayers.
Love you so much,
Alleluiabelle
Great post. Very thought provoking. You always put so much work into what you have to tell us. Thanks. Balancing is a life long learning process.
"Balancing is a life long process". Grammy, I think I just wrote those exact words to someone in an email reply =)
And about me putting lots of work into the things I share here? Yes and no I guess. These are the places my brain and heart go and by the time my fingers hit the keyboard they just have the "work" of keeping up with the overflow spilling out of my processing.
It's more of a "release" than work. That reminds me, I have a post sitting in my drafts somewhere about why I write, gotta dig that up and post it before it gets buried!
one of my favorite topics.
I love how you "release" your thoughts. It speaks to me!
Very good!
Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
I always need things like this. I'm sure I will come back to this one. Thanks.
Monica
i love the amplified version of proverbs 31 when i ponder balance. it always comes back to my mind. balance is something i am daily striving for.
Post a Comment