Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Simple Pleasures

Jeanette

Hot sunshine, warm sand and cool water

The trailing reflection of a full moon on still lake water

The soothing call of a loon carried over the evening air

Puffy white clouds in a bright blue sky

Beach chairs and friends to share them with

Evening fires and fireside treats

Fellowship and community, people hungry for more of God

gut splitting laughter while tubing in pairs

Late night rounds of Ticket to Ride

7 days of not having to cook or wash dishes

Hearing the phrase, “God is great.” in a song while you’re traveling and hearing your 5 year old son proclaim “better than great!” from the back seat.

Returning home to a cool, clean, quiet house after a full week away

The bunting of a little steer as you feed him milk out of a pail.

Five new kittens discovered in the hayloft

Four beautiful kids who turn the hayloft into a church complete with nursery and play “church” for 5 consecutive hours.

Running barefoot through a summer shower to rescue sheets off the line..

Mmmmm…. such a relaxing and wonderful week I had getting away with my family and friends. Refreshing and renewing in every way. It’s all good. Thanks to everyone who emailed me and said they were thinking of, praying for and loving me. What a blessing! And to think I was so grumpy and melancholy just over a week ago. Now, while the rain pours down outside all is sunshine in my soul. I will slowly begin to make the rounds and catch up with you all as time allows. Time. Something I’ve been thinking about and will share about soon!

19 comments:

Leanne said...

I can tell your heart is FULL! So happy for you, times away to draw closer to family, friends & our Lord are so important. That is wonderful about the kids playing "church" for 5 hours, I bet they had fun and I am sure you got a good break too! :-) When I see you have a new post it is like checking the mailbox and finding a card inside addressed to me. That may seem silly, but these blog entries are like reading letters from dear friends and catching up on what has been going on in there life! So fun!

Dawn said...

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!!! Glad your week away was so refreshing on all levels. Looking forward to hearing more about your week.

Blessings!!!

Alleluiabelle said...

My Dear, Dear Friend,

I am so elated that you had such a good time away...such relaxion, laughter, soothing moments of bliss in the sun-filled days and moon-filled nights...ahhhhh. You took me away too, which is something most needed at this time in my life.

Thank you for letting me experience your refreshing time away in my own way by your written words. You soothed my soul today dear friend.

Love you,
Alleluiabelle

Linda said...

No wonder it has been so quiet in this little corner. I am so glad you had such a refreshing, relaxing, fun week. Sounds like just what the doctor ordered.
Isn't it great to come home to a clean, orderly house? There's no place like home - but it is wonderful to get away for a little while.

grammy said...

Glad you are back and feeling more sunny. those muddy times make the sun all the more delightful (o: Love the word picture of your kids playing church. How sweet. Do they ever fight and carry on? My four granddaughters are into fighting and yelling at each other. Drives mew crazy (o:

The McMurrays said...

What delightful images from what sounds like a delightful week! Welcome home with a big hug!
I look forward to hearing your latest thoughts...they're always SO GOOD! ;)
Love ya, Savannah

Berry Girl said...

I absolutely love the tubing picture. And the little guy in the big orange lifejacket.
*sigh*
So glad you had a relaxing and wonderful time. You almost make me want to go to camp...

Diane said...

I love the collage! So much to be thankful for!

Ann Kroeker said...

Great word-pictures to accompany a great set of pictures! I know the Belgian Wonder would love to ride in a speed boat around the lake, kids on tubes, screaming with delight! I'm more of the canoe or rowboat girl myself. Or even a sit-on-the-dock girl, dangling feet in the water while reading a book.

I love summer so much. Posts like this remind me of all kinds of reasons to love it--beyond the smell of deep green leaves, mourning doves cooing in the branches, sun streaming down on the grass, lawn mowers humming in the distance. There are also those extraordinary outings, getaways and vacations, that stand out in our memories for life. You just had one of those. Relish it!

Unknown said...

Smiling, reading your words and enjoying your pictures. God is so good!

Anonymous said...

What an uplifting post! You were able to capture a whole week in so few words and yet the words you chose were the kind that conjured up images immediately. I am so glad that you were blessed with exactly the week you needed...that God knew you needed!

Unknown said...

Leanne, your words just made me smile. So sweet!

A-Belle, you just lived out the verse "rejoice with those who rejoice", my friend, and I have been living out the "weep with those who weep" in your regards.

Grammy, if you only knew... LOL! In light of this commnent I am going to share a funny (in some horrific way) story from camp, then you will see that yes, my kids do indeed fight and carry on!

B-Girl, I have a sneaking suspicion that compared to the camping you are going to be doing in about a month, our "camping" experience was rather like the Hilton =)

Ann, I always remember your 'hammock' post in relation to summer. Oh yeah. I hear ya, sister. Good to see you!

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, So glad you are back home after a lovely get-away. It sounded like such fun; I would have loved being there with you and yours. What a blessing to come home to a clean house-something my hubby taught me early, that way you don't have to work when you get home,except for laundry.
Have a beautiful day!

Bev K said...

I've just spent a little time in the different "rooms" of your blog and want to commend, compliment and encourage you on what you are doing. Your pictures are wonderful and you have an amazing insight and an observant spirit that encourages and uplifts your family and friends. Someday you may have to make up a book for each of the "posse" that records your lovely observations on each of them.
Keep up the good work of finding the Holy in the mundane. You are not only blessing your family but also those of us who read your blog.

Jen said...

Hello friend!
I so enjoy reading your blog, looking at the wonderful pictures and just hearing your thoughts! I wish we were closer to get together more often (:

Your friends in Cold Lake

~Brenda said...

I'm glad you feel refreshed. :-)) Looking forward to what you have to say about time. I've been thinking about time also ... or lack theroef!

~Brenda

Joy said...

Good for you! I am so happy that your soul was renewed by gettings away.!
Glad to see your spirits are lifted, you pictures reflect so much fun!
Glad to have "you" back!
Joy

Anonymous said...

Beautiful...lovely...

Anonymous said...

What beautiful pictures and so happy to hear what a blessed time you had.