Tuesday, August 18, 2009

An Everyday, Ordinary Life.

IMG_0473

"So here's what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him. Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what He wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you."

Romans 12:1-2 The Message Translation

Love this.  Just love this.  Love everything about this!  What a kick in the pants challenge to take the ordinary and let God make it extraordinary.

25 comments:

Tricia said...

This is absolutely wonderful! God definitely can and does make the ordinary extraordinary when we give it to Him!

Thanks for your comment earlier... we are absolutely loving homeschooling! I find it very refreshing and fulfilling, and my children seem so happy and content!

May you have a wonderful day!

Blessings and hugs!

Kimberly said...

I have this written out and stuck on the cabinet door in my kitchen. I have verses all over to try and keep myself focused. I did add your poem to the cards and poems and things I have on the inside doors as well. :)

Dawn said...

I love this version of this passage. I have had it posted on my pantry door, bathroom mirror, etc., at various times.

Puts a whole new spin on my outlook regarding, say... cleaning toilets, wiping off finger prints (again), mopping floors, etc.

To view the everday through that perspective... wow.

Hope you're having a delightful week!

Leanne said...

Love it & I know it to be true! Thanks for the reminder to keep my heart focused on Him in EVERYTHING I do!

Unknown said...

" Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him." Sometimes fear gets in the way of my embracing the things He places in my life. Oh, but my heart truly wants to embrace it all joyfully! Great kick in the pants.

Linda said...

I love it too. Give us eyes to see Father!

Alleluiabelle said...

My Sweet Friend,

I love this so much as well. God is speaking to you and I on the same level as he pointed us both to this passage. I posted on Romans 12:1-21 from the Message Bible too on August 3. As you said, "Just love this. Love everything about this!" Yes my friend, I do too. Oh what an awesome God we have.

Love you,
Alleluiabelle

K-Sue said...

This is so well expressed, the exposition comes simply from bringing the language to our vernacular. A nice challenge to live godly.

I don't have "The Message Translation," but I always like what I read from others' posting of quoting of it. I think maybe we could use one of these around this household.

Chinobilly Mamma said...

Oooh, that is a great translation. So fitting about todays "culture" part. Lord, help us fix our eyes on You and You alone Jesus.
Thank you Prarie Chick for always making my inbox a little brighter with your posts. You are a blessing. Have a beautiful day.

Dawn @ simply transparent said...

Why when we know how the blessings flow do we take so long in getting there ?!?!? I too love that we can go to HIM from right where we are.

Btw~ this looks like a porch we are designing..love it ;)

grammy said...

Great. What a wonderful few post I had missed. Nice to catch up. You are such a sweetie.

Debbie in CA : ) said...

It's truly the only way to LIVE. The ordinary is miraculous in the hands of our Lord. I'm off to an "ordinary" day around here -- and I can hardly wait!

Thanks for the inspiration.

Jen said...

I love the way this is worded! The Message grows on me; it's helpful to read a verse in a different version to make the meaning fuller and richer. I need to follow the example of the other commenters who printed it out and posted it in the kitchen.

SimplyDarlene said...

Indeed this is the Truth! I cannot imagine being a mom without valuing the mundane of laundry, dishes, and messes. God gave it to me and He does not make mistakes so who would I be if I didn't thank Him for it all?!

Berry Girl said...

that's really lovely. And refreshing.
Thanks for posting it.

Unknown said...

Refreshing... that's the perfect word for it... missed you!!!

Anonymous said...

I wanted to let you know...you were one of the baby steps that spurred what God is doing in our lives...when you mentioned what you paid for your place...I remember scoffing and thinking, well, I could never find that kind of price here..

Well, my Lord gets the last laugh!

The new property was 45,000.00...the mobile and 10 acres...

isn't it cool how He takes a small random comment and builds upon it in unfathomable ways...

thank you for being one of His stepping stones...even if, unknowingly...smile...

blessings, my sister,
Sarah

Unknown said...

Oh Sarah, that just made me laugh for joy! Isn't He wonderful? As we enter a new stage of having to budget pennies again (savings that we had stored up for renovating this old house have slowly dwindled to a meagre sum and we still have much to do) we are delighting in seeing Him multiply and "keep the jar full" as we cautiously try to live for His glory financially. It's SO exciting.

Rene dear friend, SO good to see you. I tried to connect with you on FB when I saw you were headed this way but it was too late. We MUST plan a family get together! Would LOVE to hear what God spoke to you through Leviticus. ((((Hugs))))

Anonymous said...

The photo of the bench overlooking a meadow was ao appealing to me. What a fantastic place to meditate

I loved the scripture too! I just finished reading through the Bible using the Living Bible Paraphrase and am just begining again using The Message. I have read the Bible through using the King James, American Standard, New Century and English Standard as well...each translaion or paraphrase brings some newness to the Word.

Your blog is a blessing to me!

Deb said...

Yes, I love these verses too.

And I need a kick in the pants to help me let go of culture.

And hold on to Christ.

Sweet dreams.

outdoor.mom said...

i love message version!! awesome :-)

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Love this one...

I like to look through Scripture through the lens of The Message -- right alongside my study in the trusty NIV. Helps me see with fresh eyes.

Anonymous said...

That's really lovely. And refreshing.
Thanks for posting it.....great post..
--
Reenee
You cannot go wrong on the best security systems

Sharon said...

AMEN!!

Gotta love The Message.

Deborah Ann said...

LOVE 'The Message.' It's down-home, praire girl, earthy, Jesus kind of stuff.

blessings girl,

Debby