Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Tapestries


Once you sat serenely on terra cotta tile
in the corner of a Tuscan room
white chintz billowing softly at your back
sunlight splaying your floral brocade
oft I curled up within your familiar embrace
bible in my lap
leg thrown over the comfortable fit of your well worn arm
reading
praying
gazing out over sprawling hills
of sunflowers
vineyards
olive groves in turn.

Five children I held
rocked
nursed in you
five others I mourned
sat rocking in solitude
arms wrapped tightly around the ache
in my own hollow abdomen
while burning tears spilled
distorting my vision
as grief is prone to do.

You crossed the wide Atlantic to grace my prairie home
where you snuggled into the corner of a much more homely room...
battered hardwood beneath
and the steady pummeling of many little hands and feet
others less sentimental may have looked on you, chagrined
critical eyes drawn to those tattered tassels
this unsightly tear perhaps
that stubborn stain
But to these sentimental eyes of mine
each worn thread of your tapestry
is gently twined with a fleeting memory

I see my girls
sprawled on the area rug
braiding your silk tassels while I read
my boys years later
snipping mischievously away
scissors in hand
reveling in the "click" and the chords that fell
lifeless to the hardwood
later to be swept up and cast into the fire
like golden locks after a trim

Memories of my children as they napped in you
curled up in my lap on you
climbed
and jumped
and laughed on you.

Your faded tapestry is beautiful in my eyes
interwoven as it is with the tapestry of our lives.


My contribution to L.L. Barkat's poetry prompt at Seedlings in Stone. What timing to be led into the living room this week where I finally retired my beloved and tattered old wingback chair.

24 comments:

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Whoa.

That ... rocked.

Cynthia said...

Prairie Chick

Some people write poetry. Some are poets

You are the latter

Beautiful

Pear tree cottage! said...

You could not have written anything better and from all us "mothers" out here we understand the ever word!! the every feeling and very knowingly say "yes!" how true.

Lee-ann

Keystone said...

We single parent dads have had tapestries woven into our hearts too.
I don't know why this so reminded me of a moment of one daughter, Karli, at age 2 trying to encourage Samantha the kitten, to come out from under the Lazy Boy Rocker.

"Samantha, you come out of there right now" she squealed in delight.
Her hands were too short to reach the little kitten hidden underneath, no matter which side of the rocker, she attempted a reach.

Karli faced the back of the rocker standing up and turned to tell me Samantha would not come out from under the chair. Karli had been softly "scratching" the back of the chair softness as she told me her story
(I filmed a video of it all).
Samantha saw the "scratching" hand, and pounced from under the chair to on top of the standing Karli's head, in a billionth of a second.....taking all, by surprise.

My life has been a tapestry of such moments. Thanks for the memory.

Dawn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

"gently twined with a fleeting memory"...I liked this line. I actually liked them all. Wonderful!

Dawn said...

I have a similar chair - it was our first "new" piece of furniture we bought and became my favorite chair to sit in while I nursed my babies. It's made many moves, to many homes, across several states an is in quite a state of disrepair for having been so "loved." My hubby would like me to get rid of it but I have hopes of reupholstering it. So, it sits in a corner of my bedroom where the cat thinks it's just a delightful napping spot! LOL

Leanne said...

That was beautiful & very moving! Right now I can feel the happiness you expressed about your children being rocked & playing in that chair...but I also feel the ache that you expressed over losing 5 precious babies. I am so sorry you experienced that. I know that your children are so blessed to have a mother like you! Have a wonderful day!!! Leanne

By the way, I am waiting on my first Sonlight order to get here & am so excited!! We are going to do the Language arts 1 & 2 w/ intermediate readers, Singapore math & the Book of time (with the Mystery of History) that I already have. I would have loved to got the entire set...but financially we really just couldn't afford it this year, but I am excited to see what Sonlight is like. :-)

L.L. Barkat said...

Really, really lovely. You are SO growing into this poetry thing.

One of my favorite lines (besides the section about grief and distortion, which also touched a deep place)...

"white chintz billowing softly at your back"

The McMurrays said...

Beeeeeooootiful!!!*

Tricia said...

Very beautiful... isn't it so sweet how the simplest of things can evoke a flood of memories dear to our hearts...

Blessings!

Anonymous said...

lovely

SimplyDarlene said...

Such beauty. Yours is akin to the poem I intended to pluck-n-plunk, but something entirely different came out of me today. Thank you for sharing your lovingly woven, tapestry song.

Chris said...

It does read like a tune, a beautiful mournful love song played for Saviour. You brightened an already bright day. Can't wait to see what's taking place over there soon!

Linda said...

Amazing! I love your poetry.
Isn't it something the way an inanimate object can be so invested with our emotions? I feel an affection for your chair having read your beautiful poem.

Mac an Rothaich said...

I love how sentimental you are! I bought a nit blanket this weekend and spent time wondering who made it and why and who snuggled in it and when and I just know that is one thing we have in common. EMBRACE the womanly heart you have been given, it is beautiful:)

Unknown said...

*Dawn* So, it sits in a corner of my bedroom where the cat thinks it's just a delightful napping spot!

smiling warmly here. The chair has been moved into the sun porch where the dog now hops up on it when I call her in at night. How sweet to share this sentiment and see it resound with many. I'm not a silly old goose after all, or if I am, I am in what I find to be very good company indeed.

*Lee-Ann* How sweet to share this sentiment and see it resound with many. I'm not a silly old goose after all, or if I am, I am in what I find to be very good company indeed.

*Keystone* Samantha saw the "scratching" hand, and pounced from under the chair to on top of the standing Karli's head, in a billionth of a second.....taking all, by surprise.

precious moments. I love it when you share glimpses of your tapestry, you have a such a gift of bringing still life back to life, I am honored to peek into your life.

*Leanne* Dear friend, you are such a sweetheart. Don't be sorry for my loss. I am not. You know that prayer; "I pray you enough pain so that even the smallest of joys in life may appear bigger and I pray you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess..." so true.

And I am so excited for your upcoming year of school!!! =)

*L.L.* you are too gracious. Next to you I feel like the bumbling awkward pubescent all gawky hands and feet... but words and thoughts are so beautiful that they continue to draw me despite my awkwardness and I take great delight in mingling with you in your ivory tower of verbal eliteness =) thanks for inviting one and all to crash your poetry parties.

*Chris* you really should see it, you really should!!! Shingles go on tomorrow, it's all very thrilling.

*Mac and all* thanks for lovin' me. Thank you, thank you, thank you for loving me =)

Berry Girl said...

*gasp*
I can't BELIEVE you retired that chair!!!
I loved that chair.
Although, perhaps it was time...

DayPhoto said...

WONDERFUL!!!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Deb said...

Your words got into my head.

And my heart.

Sweet dreams.

Anonymous said...

i loved those... reminds me of a country inn we visited every summer.. thanx..

giddyup :)
gp

Unknown said...

this so speaks to a heart
For some reason, I felt my hands running across the texture of life
like a grandma's beautiful face
thank you

NanaNor's said...

Girl the Lord has richly gifted you....so touching and poignant!
Some write with words but you write with pictures that take our breath away. Keep sharing with us for you bless us!
Hugs to you.
Noreen

jenni said...

This is wonderful.