Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Hide and Seek.

58600_4561 photo credit

"God wanted them to look for Him and perhaps search all around for Him and find Him, though He is not far from any of us." v27

These words have been tugging at my heartstrings for weeks.  I’ve been trying to get a vision of what this is saying.  It's not that God is capriciously "hiding himself" from us , or "playing" with us in a saucy manner, pulling stubbornly away when we are trying to find Him.

I think what it boils down to is that God wants us to want Him. He doesn't want to be the one chasing us all the time. He wants US to pursue Him. To want to catch Him so much that we are willing to set all else aside in pursuit of His presence.

And when we pick ourselves up, start really looking for Him, and then RUN towards Him, full of anticipation and enthusiasm, like a child rushing to greet their Daddy at the door, He doesn't turn and run.... He opens His arms and swings us up into the air and laughs with delight. 

He wants to be wanted. He wants us to desire Him and delight in Him. Why are we so bad at loving Him? Why are we so dull and distracted? I'm floored today by this image. I will run. Run to the door. Run to the road. Run however far I need to run to be with Him. I know He'll meet me there.

10 comments:

Denise said...

Brought tears to my eyes. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Makes me remember our eldest daughter at about 1 1/2. When she would hear daddy's truck pull up from work she would run to the door and stand waiting for him to come in and toss her up into his embrace. Wonderful words you share here - as usual!

Mac an Rothaich said...

Been thinking about my God the same way for the last couple weeks. I whole heartedly agree he wants us to want him! We all have that desire (wanting to be wanted) and I believe it comes from him. We know he wanted us enough to send Jesus to die and we also know he is our father so of course he desires our adoration (as any human daddy does from his children). Another way he teaches us true love is to insist we desire and seek after him, it pulls us away from our self-centered-ness. We can't be truly loving if we are selfish. How often do we even focus on ourselves during worship and prayer times? Times specifically supposed to be about HIM.

Lovely post:)

Anonymous said...

Hey gal...I have missed having internet access...and just saw your comment today...thank you for the prayer, someone is coming Saturday to look...

It is our Father's work and He wants us to really know that...deliverance from the mortgage, only my Lord can slay this giant!

outdoor.mom said...

Amen!! And i try to be one of the good obedient kids too!! (and Run to Him) Hopefully He will tell us "well done" some day rather than "I had so much you missed out on".

Thanks also for the award!! I commented on the below post.

Deb said...

When my kids were little, they would jump off of the front porch into their daddy's arms.

I would shout, "Wait. Wait till he gets a little closer before you jump."

But they didn't listen.

They jumped anyway.

And you know what?

Their daddy caught them.

Every single time.

Just like our God catches us.

Your insights about running after God and wanting Him resonate in my heart.

Love you, girl.

Sweet dreams.

Deborah Ann said...

This really blessed my heart! I love this side of God...I'm always chasing Him, but to think He would let me catch Him...glory!

Susan @ Heart Pondering said...

What a great post; thanks.
I have often reflected on delighting in our kids in the way that God delights in us (posted on the topic at http://heartpondering.wordpress.com/2009/03/30/delighting-in-our-children/) but thinking through the delight God takes in OUR pursuing HIM, running to him, is newer to me. I love the image - and the call. Thank you.

Alleluiabelle said...

My Dear Friend,

I stopped in to say I love you and WOW your post brought tears to my eyes.

Thank you for blessing me with His Word, your words and so much more.

Merry Christmas my sweet friend.

Love you,
Alleluiabelle

outdoor.mom said...

Surprise!! There is a blog award for You waiting on my blog!!