I am so excited about this new year. So blessed and happy as I reflect on this past year. What a blessed Christmas time we spent, and what a great end to my year of “Peace”. It truly was the epitome of peaceful and more reflective and meaningful than ever.
We took almost the entire season of Advent off of school to truly rest and revel in the season. Baking, decorating, making Christmas cards from scratch, celebrating with advent verses and ornaments and Christmas songs each day. Sleeping in, playing games, watching movies…. ah… familial bliss.
On Christmas Eve we had our traditional Christmas Dinner followed by a Candlelit Carol service at our church which was intimate and beautiful, back home through the snowy fields to cut the scrumptious Black Cherry Toblerone Chocolate Cake we had prepared for Jesus Birthday Cake, along with Hot Cranberry Wassail… mmm (will get these recipes up over at the Pantry soon). We then let the kids open their stockings (very untraditional I know, but since Santa doesn’t enter into the occasion in this house, that’s just how we do things) and the family game (Ticket to Ride) which we proceeded to play.
Christmas Day was relaxing and wonderful, we slept in, had a leisurely breakfast and calmly proceeded to open ONE gift per child per hour. What a great idea this proved to be, it really brought peace and pleasure to the whole gift opening process, which I usually find to be a very busy, loud, messy and rather riotous time that leaves me feeling dazed and shell shocked when it’s all over.
We are still in the process of simplifying the commercial aspect of Christmas, and trying to find our personal groove. This year we chose to go with the four point idea of buying each child “something they want, something they need, something to wear and something to read.” It gave us something to work with, but I’m not sure it’s THE fit for us or that we won’t try something else next year. We’ll see. I’m thinking of letting the kids pick names, and buy for each other and then one special gift for each child from the parents, plus their Christmas tree ornament, plus one book, movie, or cd each.
Prairie Guy and I agreed not to buy gifts for each other at all this year, which was a good thing. We are the kind of people who when we need/want/find something, we love to buy it for each other and we do. Year round. Since he had just bought me a treadmill at the end of October, plus all new appliances at the end of the summer (dishwasher just got hooked up a few days ago though!) well…. it was an extravagant year in the spending department. I have a few fun gifts in mind for him for his birthday but we decided to keep Christmas spending free, and it was a relief. It was beautiful to just revel in each other’s presence.
My extended family decided to pool money to give to a project of our choosing. We decided on the World Vision 12 months of giving program where you give one yearly amount but each month a specific project takes place where a village receives, animals, clinic supplies, fruit trees, school supplies or something of the sort. I am very excited about this pick because it will mean that each month we can look at the project, pray for that village and the gift will keep living in us throughout the year.
Now, out with the old and in with the new. As I said, I am very excited about 2010. I started “listening” for my word back in the start of December and it came to me mid month when we were making our Christmas Cards. We stamped the word JOY on a distressed piece of cardstock in rich burgundy ink. As I looked at a completed card that one of my daughters handed to me I just smiled. Yes. That’s my word. Then, wouldn’t you know that in the sermon that Sunday our pastor must have used the word “joy” about 100 times. Exhorting us to take joy in the Giver of Life and the life and goodness He bestows.
Joy. I’m ready. Joy in waking, joy in baking, joy in cleaning, joy in gleaning, joy in growing, joy in sowing, joy in jogging, joy in blogging, joy in reading, joy in leading, joy as lover, joy as mother, joy in playing, joy in praying. Wishing you all God’s Joy for 2010.
“You have made known to me the paths of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence.” Acts 2:28
Joy blocks available for purchase here.
15 comments:
Let's try this again...
Perfect! I look forward to reading about how God blesses you with joy. Thanks to your prompting last year God named my 2009 Find and he amazed me all year. This year God graciously gave me the focus early in December. Thank you so much for sharing about naming the year. You have been a big blessing in my life this past year. Hope you and your family have a joyous new year!!
Oh Amen!! Great post!! I think I will copy you and add "Joy" to my list of 2010 Endeavors!! Thank you!! Happy New Year :-)
Wonderfully restful post! Your heartfelt sharing strikes kindred chords, as always. I love it here!!!!
Your Christmas SEASON sounds remarkably similar to ours, except that we forgo gifts except for the handmade we exchange on Christmas eve. I "hand-make" a feast as my gift (and it was a sumptuous Southern Feast this year -- yummy!) My husband decorates the gardens with lights and Nativity as his gift. The girls knit and crochet, paint and write a bevy of beautiful gifts. It works well for us and we don't ever need to step foot in the mall (1 hour away).
Peace on Earth was our gently-whispered theme around here . . . and it was wonderful to relax and enjoy Jesus' birthday. We now celebrate for 12 days (a tradition ignited last year and recorded on my blog), so the festivities continue around here as does the blessed peace.
I applaud you for stepping off the world's track and finding your own special way to celebrate Christmas. Thanks for sharing -- it is always a joy to read from the Prairie Prologue.
Blessings to you in 2010. JOY! JOY! JOY! XO!
A lovely post:) Glad you had a beautiful holiday season! HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Joy was my word several years ago... and it was a very joyful year indeed!
My word for this year?
(I) believe.
Wishing you much joy and blessings in 2010!
It all sounds so good - so peaceful. My word for last year was hope, but I wrote about "joy" for a thirty day challenge and found it such a wonderful time.
I think my word for this year is going to be "new." It keeps popping up in one form or another. I think the Lord is whispering something into my heart. I had been leaning toward the word "balance," but I think that will be part of new for me!
Love reading your thoughts, as always! I love the idea of a word for the year! There is a word that keeps coming up these days, and that is: prepare. Not sure what for, but I am ready and willing to listen!
Such a simple Christmas.
And no Santa!
But this focus led to true peace and joy.
The Savior.
By the way, I've never heard of having a word for the year.
I like this idea.
Hope that your new year is filled with both peace and joy.
Sweet dreams.
Dear Dutchy,
We wish you Gods blessings and JOY for the comming year for you and your beautiful family.
Joyful greetings from the Bosmannitos. René
Loved reading about your Christmas
I use to love to make it that way for my own family
now they are on their own and choose what will be for them and theirs
It is not necessarily what I would choose... but life is crazy here in the city (o:
I am so glad you had a wonderful Christmas season, it sounds heavenly! I have already decided that we are taking the month of Decemnber off from "normal" school next year and focusing on Christmas and doing more of an advent celebration... I can't wait! This year was not what I wanted, but I learned... and next year will be much better : )
May the Lord bless you and your family with much JOY this year!
Blessings!
beautiful, Prairie Chick! i love the idea of joy... may i adopt it? to enJOY living, amidst all of the mundane... to make each normal moment mean something. i also love buying each child something they want, need, will wear and read... and my husband and i love ticket to ride! :) good choice. what a lovely family you have. bless you... emily.
beatiful post...:-)
Wishing you great *joy* in everything this year! :-) If I were to choose a word (which I haven't), I think it would have to be "listen." That seems to be what the Lord keeps saying to me...
Thinking of you out here in exile (!),
Susan
Very inspiring post, as always! I love the idea of opening 1 gift per hour. Soooo looking forward to more JOY in 2010 too. I was taught this acronym for JOY. J~esus first, O~thers next, Y~ourself last. Happy New Year…13 days late ;)
Post a Comment