Monday, March 15, 2010

Not all Paradise, but Heavenly Nonetheless

186794_9123photo by mcfly1980

“ It was not all Paradise by any means, but everyone was better for the division of labor system. The children throve under the paternal rule, for accurate, steadfast John brought order and obedience into Babydom, while Meg recovered her spirits and composed her nerves by plenty of wholesome exercise, a little pleasure, and much confidential conversation with her sensible husband.

Home grew homelike again, and John had no wish to leave it, unless he took Meg with him. The Scotts came to the Brookes' now, and everyone found the little house a cheerful place, full of happiness, content, and family love. Even Sallie Moffatt liked to go there. "It is always so quiet and pleasant here, it does me good, Meg," she used to say, looking about her with wistful eyes, as if trying to discover the charm, that she might use it in her great house, full of splendid loneliness, for there were no riotous, sunny-faced babies there, and Ned lived in a world of his own, where there was no place for her.

This household happiness did not come all at once, but John and Meg had found the key to it, and each year of married life taught them how to use it, unlocking the treasuries of real home love and mutual helpfulness, which the poorest may possess, and the richest cannot buy.

This is the sort of shelf on which young wives and mothers may consent to be laid, safe from the restless fret and fever of the world, finding loyal lovers in the little sons and daughters who cling to them, undaunted by sorrow, poverty, or age, walking side by side, through fair and stormy weather, with a faithful friend, who is, in the true sense of the good old Saxon word, the `house-band', and learning, as Meg learned, that a woman's happiest kingdom is home, her highest honor the art of ruling it not as a queen, but as a wise wife and mother.”  Louisa May Alcott, Good Wives.

This just sums up my life so perfectly, right now.  The Peasant Princess Project has just helped me to refocus and get excited about RULING my little kingdom again, as it is showing me how I had unwittingly fallen prey to so many little lies (remember the foxes?!) that were ruining my vineyard.  Some of them were external lies of lifestyle choices, and some were internal choices of attitude.  I have delighted in watching the transformation as I repent, truly repent, not just with sorrow, but with a turnabout of behavior.  How when my heart is turned toward home my husband and children thrive, and I blossom, and contrary to what one might think, becoming more home centered doesn’t rob me of opportunities to step “out” of the home, it actually provides me with more in a way.  In a balanced, beautiful, blessed way. 

My heart is just full to bursting with this new stepping stone of maturity in my life, it has brought things into such a beautiful balance and I truly do feel like the richest girl in the world.  The richest girl, who still suffers from PMS, because like the title stays, it’s not ALL paradise by any means.  =)

6 comments:

Jude said...

Your words, and Louisa May Alcott's as well, are filled with the great mystery which is God's. How the poor are the most rich, how the barren can have more children than those who conceive, how giving is so much more blessed than receiving (altho' receiving is wonderful too), how giving yourself the gift of time with God actually blesses you with more time and peace in your day than if you had spent that time folding clothes. I love discovering his mysteries (an ongoing journey) and I loved hearing about how he is uncovering them in your life. Blessings to you.

Dawn said...

I thought you of you Sunday afternoon. Kat was not feeling well so we snuggled on the couch and watched Little Women on television. Kat had never seen it before (how had I allowed that to happen???) and it was fun to experience it with her for the first time.

Anyway, I thought of you and your love for the story.

Be blessed!

Linda said...

I just read that a week or so ago. I had the page dog-eared in my book. I love the wisdom and the truth of it.
I am so proud of you. It is so easy to read and talk about the things we know we need to do; it is quite another to live them out. Is it any wonder you are being blessed? We can really never out-give the Father in any way. He delights to give us good gifts.
You encourage me to live out the things I know He is calling me to do.

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

I love this heart of yours that's full to bursting .... It's overflowing from the page to a heart here in Iowa.

You bless.

Holly said...

This was so beautiful to read. Thank you! Holly

Leanne said...

I am in the same place! Just in absolute love with the calling on my life as wife, mother,homemaker,teacher & friend.