Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Little Women

00

I love this book. I love everything about it. Quite enjoying the movie together with my own little women in the evenings as well. The simple down-home loving of a family that is poor by the world’s standards, but rich in love and grace (most of the time). I relate SO much to Alcott (Jo) that it gives me goose bumps sometimes. Imaginative, outspoken, bookworm, drawn to write, counter cultural, headstrong, and a strangely parallel friendship romance with a bashful, dark eyed Italian.

I just love her because I know we would have been fast friends. “Watching” someone with my own character and strengths and weaknesses is sort of like an out of body experience and very revealing. It always makes me more conscious of how I might appear to others. Today’s particular Jo reference that hit home was;

“Laurie turned red again, but wasn’t offended at being accused of bashfulness; for there was so much goodwill in Jo, it was impossible not to take her blunt speeches as kindly as they were meant.”

I’m prone to be a blunt speaker myself, although I appear to be learning to exercise greater discipline and caution with age . That said, I do hope my goodwill and pleasant inner spirit will be such that they will also make it impossible for offense to be taken when I do speak bluntly. May I be “goodheartedly blunt”. =)

4 comments:

Joyfully His said...

OH, I think you are just wonderful your bluntness and all! :-)lol You come across just the way you are wanting to, your sweet spirit shimes through every comment! Have a blessed day! Leanne

Prairie Chick said...

you're such a doll. thank you *blush*.

MamaBear said...

we shall aim to be "goodheartedly blunt" together....us two peas born of the same pod...
How I can relate to this sentiment!

Prairie Chick said...

ah dear friend, I have been thinking of you strongly the past few days and here you are. When are we going to spend some sweet time together?? I think we should plan something! And yes, we really, really were born of the same pod. I feel SO comfortable and "at home" with you. Wish we were nearer.