Thursday, March 18, 2010

One Country Mile

131626_2413photo by Kinsey

Such a  little road of no significance

one perfect prairie mile

stretching east to west straight and true as only a prairie road can

pointing your slender, ruddy finger from ferry road to river hills

centre of my universe.

You were not designed for traffic

for getting harried people from point A to point B

indeed, Google Maps knows not of your existence

and there is no reason why they should

and oh, how I love that thought.

Our little country mile

that brings us home

that piles up high with winter snow

until we are closed in

within

delighted at the prospect

of not getting out

and no one getting in

just reveling in the mystery of home.

Oh yes, there are the neighbor folk

dear people that they are

their yard light a beacon half a mile up the way

warming our hearts

when the nights get dark

and we could feel so far removed from reality.

For you, oh little country mile

are off the beaten track

just where we like you.

In the middle of nowhere

centre of our universe.

I learned to run on your crunchy surface

fields of wheat stretching away from me as far as the eye can see

I revel in the sound of your little sandy stones under my feet

or the wheels of my children’s bicycles

or my beloved’s tires as he turns in the drive at day’s end.

What walks and confidences have been shared

along the ribbon of your ruddy lane

and you hold all dreams and secrets well.

I can’t but smile when I turn your corner

See the river hills rolling away before me

and the stately trees that line your flank

arresting the wind and furnishing a still and magical shelter

for the traveler blessed to pass beneath their shadow.

The two little farmyards half mile apart

One so perfect, so manicured, lovely

a feast for the eyes and the soul.

And then comes ours

and I just smile. 

Little country house with many gables,

Big red barn with tumbledown stables

windmill reaching to the sky

five little children on the fly

from orchard to pond, garden to gate

dugout to pasture and back again

You are only one bantam country mile

yet you harbor so much joy

and so much life.

Raccoons and muskrats, deer galore

foxes and coyotes, skunks and more

owls and eagles, hawks and squirrels

all hide in your ditches, your woods, your bowels

my little country mile.

My  sweet country mile

on this homey country quarter

in a vast prairie province

in this magnificent northern nation

on this continent of continents

center of my universe.

 

 

Home.

 

my contribution to Random Acts of Poetry.

16 comments:

Berry Girl said...

mmmm...love that.

Denise said...

Wow! That was beautiful!

Mac an Rothaich said...

Oh how I enjoyed this post! I love your bit of the world, and mostly the memories I have that neck of the woods and the short period I too enjoyed the prairie life. I most enjoy how you are so present, thankful and aware of your little world. Posts such as this where one is digging deep and really observing their surroundings are so refreshing. Every time I do it I realize I am thankful where ever I am living:)

kingfisher said...

Oh, I delight in your visions of a country mile. Came here from LL Barkat's invitational on streets. Hope you get a chance to see mine, also. In case you don't get back to hers, here's the url again.

http://kingfishercrossing.blogspot.com

May God bless you today.

Kathleen Overby said...

Nicey done. The gravel is crunching in my memory. Has the graderman been by lately? I like your road and wish I could come knocking. We're country kids, stuck uncomfortably in a cul de sac. Out of place. Glad you're enjoying your piece of paradise.

Missy K said...

Ah-- I love this-- all the sensory detail places me on your country road!

Leanne said...

Beautiful! I must admit though, it makes me a little jealous ;-). Enjoy your little piece of Heaven on earth! Have a great day!

SimplyDarlene said...

Yes, ma'am, I reckon we may be neighbors! ;-)

Thank you for stopping by. It is a wonderful thing to know others crunch along similar unpaved paths, seeking sweet, solitary refuge at the end.

May your backside not get too dirty when ya lean up against my Dodge for a talk in the center of the road, amid the swirling dust...

Blessings.

btw, your poem is way pertier than mine...i love it! you said what my heart beats

K-Sue said...

A lovely tribute. Makes me want to write a poem about the road where I grew up. Yup, the cul-de-sac just does not inspire the same feelings.

Linda said...

It sounds like a bit of heaven to me. Our little road used to be just like that, until "improvements" moved in. Grocery store, Home Depot and all the other little stores that tend to spring up along side them. We are eager to find another country road - very similar to yours.
This was beautiful. It is just the sort of road I'd love to take a walk down some day!!

Unknown said...

@Kathleen, my hub complains when the graderman hasn't been to call, I complain when he has! Poor man, there is just no pleasing us =)

Unknown said...

@A Simple Country Girl.... well, I happened to feel the same way about yours =)

(and the more I visited around and tasted people's words after having already shared my own, the more I wanted to crawl under a rock and take back my simple little offering. Wow. Words are powerful and people who are gifted with words can make beautiful art!)

Laura said...

and what a bee-U-tee-full contribution it is! Has me wanting to kick my shoes off and run barefoot down the lane! I grew up on a Run that sounds much the same. How lovely you get to BE GROWN UP there!

Anonymous said...

I think I'd like to come for a visit. Although-- maybe not to stay forever. I'm a town-loving girl at heart, I think. Still, you definitely do draw me in with your words.

Unknown said...

to love our home... what peace of mind.
this is beautifully shared.

Deb said...

Oh, sweet chick, I love this poem.

Makes me want to walk down that country mile to see you face-to-face.

For now, guess I'll have to settle for a little heart-to-heart.

Sweet dreams.