Monday, September 7, 2009

Hearty Ham Soup



The day after I make this... I make this with the left over ham and stock.

8 cups ham stock
2 cups string beans
2 cups shredded ham plus hock
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 coarsely chopped carrot
1 stalk coarsely chopped celery (not essential)
1/4 tspn pepper
1/2 tspn seasoning salt
1 bay leaf
1 can condensed tomato soup

sautee onion and celery in olive oil (or margarine or butter, I just pop them in a glass measuring cup, mix in a dollop of olive oil and put them on high in the microwave for 3 minutes)

Combine all ingredients in a crock pot and let simmer on high for 5 hours. I throw any other favorable left overs in here as well. Tonight it was peas, some scalloped potatoes and some left over risotto. Sounds crazy but it was a winning combination. We eat this with Navajo Flatbread or Baking Powder Biscuits.

1 comment:

Molly @ Star Cottage said...

Wow that sounds delish! I am gonna have to make that this weekend. Thanks for the recipe ;)