Friday, February 22, 2008

Food and Stuff

Anticipating a weekend full of the finer things in life; Fun, Family, Food, Friends & Fellowship

FOOD
Chris, you asked for my noodle recipe... I use this simple recipe for making thick noodles for chicken noodle soup, or linguine-like noodles for eating with lamb stewed in tomato sauce.
click to comment
2 cups flour
2 eggs
1 tspn baking powder
water to make a moist-but-not-tacky workable dough.

Work with hands to elastic consistency
Roll out to medium thickness on a lightly floured surface
Cut into pasta maker diameter strips (or roll extra thin and cut into strips if you don't have a pasta maker)
work through the flat barrell of your pasta maker 3 or 4 times before selecting your noodle type and running it through. Leave long for linguine, cut up into 2 inch lengths for soup.

These cook FAST. They need all of 2-3 minutes, so don't add your noodles till people are ready to eat. Enjoy!

FUN!
Just received my Poppet's inaugural short story (this was not an assignment, she did it in her "craft time"). She had to read the first line to me, before I finally was able to decipher her style, but for a first story from a kindergartner I thought this was GREAT! If you are wondering why the upper/lower case confusion, she learned upper case last year, and we are working on lower case this year, but haven't got through all the letters yet! So fun.

WUNS LUR WOOS a GRL Se WONiD a PEt
HR MOM GOt a DOG Se WUS haqe
the DOG Dis NOt et cuRits
the DOG ets DOG FOOD
The DOG hAS A BED
The GRL FeDS HR DOG DOG FOOD
THE END.

Once there was a girl, she wanted a pet
Her mom got a dog, she was happy
the dog does not eat carrots
the dog eats dog food
The dog has a bed
The girl feeds her dog dog food.


(That's my girl and her dog in the picture above btw).

And not to be outdone, Prairie Girl (8) just ran off to bring me a poem she wrote during her quiet time yesterday.

The wind wakes the sun up
the clouds put the sun to sleep.
But who wakes the moon up?
I guess it's the stars.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was so nice to see your note at my blog, and now I am so impressed with your kids' creative writing. I love how sweet and simple both are, and your 8yo's is quiet a lovely poem.

AND I got a noodle recipe, to boot! What a great stopover here Prairie Prologue--good stuff!

Anonymous said...

That would be "quite" a lovely poem.

Unknown said...

Thanks Ann! The kids are tickled pink that you liked their work, and so am I ;).

Chris said...

beautiful writing girls! (And it sounds like a quiet poem to me!!) Thanks for the pasta recipe... I'll give it a go soon... I don't think my recipe calls for baking powder.

Anonymous said...

What a blessing that you sweet children enjoy writing. Your excitement in thier accomplishments has been a reminder for me to make a bigger deal out of my children's writing.

Thanks for visiting my blog.
Blessings,
Trina
(Fellow SLer)