Friday, May 8, 2009

Reflections from Neverland

mrsdarling

~MRS. DARLING~

“She was a lovely lady, with a romantic mind and such a sweet mocking mouth. Her romantic mind was like the tiny boxes, one within the other, that come from the puzzling East, however many you discover there is always one more; and her sweet mocking mouth had one kiss on it that Wendy could never get, though there it was, perfectly conspicuous in the right-hand corner…

~RAUCOUS ROMPS~

Lovely dances followed in the nursery… the gaiety of those romps! And gayest of all was Mrs. Darling who would pirouette so wildly that all you could see of her was the kiss, then if you dashed at her you might have got it. There never was a simpler happier family…

~LOVE & RESPECT~

Mr. Darling used to boast to Wendy that her mother not only loved him but respected him. He was one of those deep ones who know about stocks and shares. Of course no one really knows, but he quite seemed to know, and he often said stocks were up and shares were down in a way that would have made any woman respect him…

~GUARDIAN OF THEIR MINDS~

Mrs. Darling first heard of Peter when she was tidying up her children’s minds. It is the nightly custom of every good mother after her children are laid down to rummage in their minds and put things straight for next morning, repacking into their proper places the many articles that have wandered during the day. If you could keep awake (but of course you can’t) you would see your own mother doing this, and you would find it very interesting to watch her. It is quite like tidying up drawers. You would see her on her knees, I expect, lingering humorously over some of your contents, wondering where on earth you had picked this thing up, making discoveries sweet and not so sweet, pressing this to her cheek as if it were as nice as a kitten, and hurriedly stowing that out of sight. When you wake in the morning, the naughtinesses and evil passions with which you went to bed have been folded up small and placed at the bottom of your mind; and on the top, beautifully aired, are spread out your prettier thoughts, ready for you to put on.”

excerpts from Peter and Wendy by J.M. Barrie

I adore Mrs. Darling. She stirs up a romantic desire within me to woo my children and husband with beauty, grace and charm, to award myself the indulgence of slowing down, allowing for a fuller appreciation of the romance and fullness of joy afforded me in the ordinary moments. Since reading this passage I have winked at the children when I sit on their bed to tuck them in and pray with them at night, teasing them that I have come to tidy up their minds. They grin so wide and giggle and we all find sweet joy in the moment. This excerpt awakens a passion in me to be a spontaneous dancer, a mysterious fount of grace, a romantic keeper of kisses, a gentle guardian of their bustling little minds. A desire to be remembered as positively Darling.

14 comments:

Dawn said...

Don't you just love the idea of tiding up their minds? I've thought of this many times as I've prayed over my children as they sleep.

Blessings!

grammy said...

I love, love love that post. You are a sweet Mommy and they are such blessed children (o:
I have never actually read Peter Pan. Seen it of course, but obviously that is not the same. Thanks for the look into Neverland.
Hope you read my post on Ryan's Mom.

Jenni said...

I love these quotes. Thank you for posting them. The two younger kids and I read Peter Pan about 4 years ago when we were in a homeschool book club. I wasn't at all excited about the selection at first, but the book was such a delight. Hmmm...I think I need to add this to the list of books to get for my new nephew.

Rose said...

Completely Charmed by this post!

Holly said...

Oh, I absolutely loved this post. We have listened to this book on tape before, but I think we'll borrow it again.
These passages you put down were so inspiring. Thank you! Holly

Chris said...

Just found out I'm the 39999th reader! Lucky me.

I love this post... it's a wonderful mind picture of the ideas and feelings bouncing in these little brains.

I woke up to find a menu decorated and the table set this morning... what a sweet thoughtful treat. I love watching these boys grow and mature in Christ.

Mac an Rothaich said...

Very cool! I just read Peter Pan for the first time and felt the same way about Mrs Darling! She was my favorite part of the book. There was something very special about how the author wrote about her... It is lovely to let books remind you to having fun with your kids.

Berry Girl said...

*sigh*
I love it.

Alleluiabelle said...

Of course I absolutely loved this! Your children are absolutely blessed to have a mommy like you P.C. and you are so blessed with your beautiful children.

I'm a Nana now to four Darling little ones and you reached out and touched my mind and heart in what I've wished to do for them and be remembered as...only you described it so beautifully when you said, "This excerpt awakens a passion in me to be a spontaneous dancer, a mysterious fount of grace, a romantic keeper of kisses, a gentle guardian of their bustling little minds. A desire to be remembered as positively Darling." So loved this!

Love you,
Alleluiabelle

Anonymous said...

I followed you here from your comment on Robins blog. Your two word description as "simply domestic" intrigued me.

Oh how I love Mrs. Darling. My own children loved that story and i loved reading it aloud to them.

Mothering is an honor.It sounds very much like you fullly embrace it!

Anonymous said...

How sweet! I wanted to visit and wish you a blessed Mother's Day. Enjoy!

Andrea said...

YES!!!!
I love that *image* of a mother. I love how literary characters inspire us!! What a wonderful post.

DayPhoto said...

I love Peter Pan (the book) Thanks for bringing it forward into my mind again!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Bev K said...

Thank you for sharing that lovely passage about tidying up the minds of your children before they go to sleep. I guess one could say that praying with and for your children before at bedtime is a Christian mother's way of tidying up their minds. I always loved that time, sitting on their beds and the little conversations we had. I wish I'd done more of it. Now I do it with the grandchildren - I hope it will become a warm memory for them when they get older.