Thursday, October 8, 2009

Aw Shucks… I’m so Corny

IMG_1096

So, you know me.  I’m all about simple and practical.  Found a new trick with corn this year and am SO excited.  Pick the ears, peel off any outer leaves that are not laying flat and break off the stalk.  Gently peel tips of leaves back about 1/3 the length of the ear, pull out silk, pull leaves back into place, package in super size ziploc containers and freeze.  Just like that!

To cook just thaw enough to shuck, then pop in boiling water as you would fresh corn on the cob.  Seriously, you can NOT tell the difference!  No mountain of shucking debris, no mess in the kitchen, practically from the stalk to the freezer.  Only con is that 6 rows of corn takes up a LOT of freezer space!

3 comments:

Chris said...

lol about the freezer space... sounds great though. My corn left me a little disappointed... my early rows got too ripe, and the later ones froze, and nothing actually grew to a respectable length. Can't wait to help you with some of that freezer space. ;)

Berry Girl said...

I just love that. Maybe some day I'll actually plant something foodish ;)

Manic Mom said...

yummmmmmmy!!!