I’m purging my bookshelves. This is not something that comes easy to me, but hey, life is tough. I’ve accumulated a small pile of books that I don’t feel need take up valuable space on my limited shelves and have leafed through them and am packing them in a box for my next stop at Value Village. One of these particular books held my attention a bit longer than the others, probably because it ties in with a lot of the things I have been focusing on in recent months. Although I found it rather off the wall in parts, and this post is not meant to be an endorsement in any way, shape or form, I thought it might be beneficial to jot down a few of the thoughts that did impress themselves upon me.
Wholeness is health, unity, sufficiency, and the peace that comes from having enough of everything you need in your life.
Balance is having the various parts of your life in proper proportion to each other. The two terms are vitally interrelated. Success, by definition of this book, is “balanced wholeness.”
The book visualizes the circle of our life as an eight sectioned wheel divided into the following categories in no particular order;
Recreational, Mental, Community, Professional, Material, Financial, Family and Physical with SPIRITUAL as the core of the circle, all other categories branching out from the core on the premise that;
“One is not a human being having spiritual experiences. One is a spiritual being have human experiences.”
The book is a “planner” and states;
“If you simply take life as it comes and never seek to conform your will to God’s will or your ways to His ways, your life will meander without a strong sense of direction, purpose or fulfillment.”
“The Lord isn’t at all against our making plans. He’s against our worshiping our plans. And He’s against our making plans that leave Him out. To be more precise, we must ask the Lord to give us our plans…
We ask and believe that God will reveal His desires to us and plant His dreams in us. We then make our goals based on the desires and dreams. We forge the goals into a plan, and we begin to work on the plan and along the way, we continually ask the Lord, “Am I on the right track? Am I pursuing this as quickly as You want it pursued? Am I becoming the person You want me to be?”
It beckons a person to dream.
“Dreams invite you to see a future that is better than the present. Dreams compel you to grow and to develop yourself in ways you haven’t thus far. Dreams give you energy and enthusiasm.”
I love that. I’m a dreamer, a reacher, a planner, an achiever. And maybe, just maybe… God made me that way. May I be all, in a wholesome and balanced way, for His glory.
random notes taken while leafing through “Nine Empowering Secrets of Successful Living” by Denis Waitley.
6 comments:
Hi there Prairie Chick! I’ve been missing you lately but haven’t had much screen time to comment on your blog. I too am “a dreamer, a reacher, a planner, an achiever.”
Today I’ve been meditating on this verse from Proverbs 16:3 “Commit your work to the LORD, and your plans will be established” (NRSV). It was on my little flip calendar that I keep in the bathroom. Each day I get at least one verse in my system to mentally chew on all day.
I struggle with the whole balance thing in my own life so I enjoyed your “random notes” today. And felt your post timing was perfect for what I’ve been thinking on today. Thank you so much.
I sure wish there weren’t so many prairies between us but I praise the Lord once again for giving me such an edifying blog to read that always makes me look upward to praise Him.
God Bless
wowee :-) very deep. I am so glad that you are hungry and running after God!
I am not as brave as you. I just keep buying more and more bookshelves. I know that not every page in a book is perfect but I have many books where a good number of treasured phrases lie between the ordinary words.
I love the quotes you shared...thank you
Oh, I would buy more bookshelves, if I had more walls! =) With about 100 books per child per year for homeschooling, and my own precious collection from over the years that continues to grow... this house gets a little book heavy sometimes! I'm a sharpie marker, note taker kind of reader, so that I can file away the useful parts of a book and not need to keep it forever if it isn't an endearing kindred spirit. It used to be torture to part with ANY book, oh the information I thought I was parting with! =)
yah and amen...
love the dreamer song by Bethany Dillon...so suh-weet!
"I am a dreamer, take me higher..."
blessings,
Sarah
you're precious :)
Post a Comment