"The greatest enemy of hunger for God is not poison but apple pie. It is not the banquet of the wicked that dulls our appetite for heaven, but endless nibbling at the table of the world. It is not the X-rated video, but the prime-time dribble of triviality we drink in every night. For all the ill that Satan can do, when God describes what keeps us from the banquet table of his love, it is a piece of land, a yoke of oxen, and a wife (Luke 14:18-20). ….the most deadly appetites are not for the poison of evil, but for the simple pleasures of earth.”
Mack Truck. Right in the forehead. Been reeling from that one all week. Balance is such a tricky thing, isn't it? To learn to live joyfully, with the hope and assurance of His goodness and care, and not to be weighed down with burdens and cares that aren't ours to shoulder, but then at the same time, not to grow apathetic and numbed to the simple pleasures that can distract and draw us away from the His Pure Goodness.John Piper
I used to look around and see evil lurking behind every corner, and I lived with the daily burdens of depression, oppression, aggression, regression, you name it. Then I came to see how God wants me to be full of His hope. His light. His goodness. Not to be overwhelmed by the BAD stuff. But to pursue the GOOD stuff. Okay. Lesson learned. I'm diggin' it. But then I read this.
The only ultimate disaster that can befall us, I have come to realize, is to feel ourselves to be home on earth. As long as we are aliens, we cannot forget our true homeland. Unhappiness on earth cultivates a hunger for heaven. By gracing us with a deep dis-satisfaction, God holds our attention. The only tragedy, then, is to be satisfied prematurely. To settle for earth. To be content in a strange land.
We are not happy here because we are not at home here. We are not happy here because we are not supposed to be happy here. We are "like foreigners and strangers in this world" (1 Peter 2:11).
Take a fish and place him on the beach. Watch his gills gasp and scales dry. Is he happy? No! How do you make him happy?.... You put him back in his element. You put him back in the water. He will never be happy on the beach simply because he was not made for the beach.
And you will never be completely happy on earth simply because you were not made for earth. Oh, you will have moments of joy. You will catch glimpses of light. You will know moments or even days of peace. But they simply do not compare with the happiness that lies ahead.
When God Whispers Your Name, Max Lucado
And I wonder if maybe I'm not a little TOO happy. If maybe I haven't gotten a little TOO comfortable. If maybe I've set my heart so much on recognizing the temporal reasons for joy and thankfulness down HERE, I'm forgetting to long for the eternal joys that I was created for. That are my inheritance. That He is preparing for me even now.
But just one word, just one little reminder, and my heart skips a beat. He has gone to prepare a place. For me. He loves me. He wants to spend eternity with me. And all of "this" fades to gray.
"....but rejoice that your names are written in heaven." Luke 10:20
8 comments:
wow very profound :-) your post reminds me a little bit of "Pilgrims Progress". We just started reading that in our Bible Study group. Good reminder to spend my daily time with God and press in!
'One little reminder and my heart skips a beat'...
So true. I start thinking about my Savior and walking and talking with the one person who gave me all even though he knew me truly.
Thanks for the refreshing reminder.
It all goes back to the reason for the name, "Prairie Prologue," doesn't it?
I always feel joy when I see you have a new post up. I love that you think deeply and call me to do the same.
From my perspective (read advanced years), I think that although we may find we are a bit too comfortable here at times - life has a way of taking care of that. It will shake us to the core occassionally and remind us that this is really not our home. It will cause us to look, with great gratitude, toward heaven and long for home - real home.
However, having said that, I do see the wisdom in those quotes. We can sometimes become to at home in this place in the dailiness of our lives.
Thank you sweet girl for sharing your heart.
Very nicely said. I always had this nagging question if I am to be really happy, will I really love the Lord? I believe that when I walk the valey of tears, I feel that I really in His presence.
Amen... that is a wonderful reminder and an encouragement, that it is ok to not be happy here, because we were made for somewhere else. I have to remind myself of that sometimes, when this world gets to me, and it helps things get back in their proper perspective...
Hope all is well in your corner of the world! How do you find time to blog... I just can't seem to find the time anymore, although I have all these posts floating around in my head :) Right now I am in between cleaning bathrooms and giving myself a short break :)
Blessings!
Yay!-men!
Awesome blog you have herre
Post a Comment