Monday, November 19, 2007

On My Honor.

I'm not even sure I possess it, much less the surety to swear by it, but I have been reflecting on the concept of honor since my quiet time this morning. I was reading about the Gibeonite treachery found in Joshua 9, where they trick the Israelites into making a peace treaty with them by cleverly pretending they are from a far away land, rather than their next door neighbours. Trick obviously being the operative word that got my hackles raised and had me secretly rooting for justice and conquest on the part of the Israelites when they found out. Not so.

Despite the grumblings of the Israelites who like me were shouting "foul" and ready to go lop some heads (the treaty obviously wasn't *valid* if we were *tricked* into it!!!) Joshua humbly and wisely recognized that they had brought the present sticky situation upon themselves, and despite the treachery of the other party, it was time to eat some humble pie and rise to the occasion, with honor.

This is akin to torture to me!! It is my sinful nature to say "but... they.... that's.... look what they....." anything but "okay... I.... I'm.... what must I...."

I was very, very convicted by Joshua's attitude in this story. He recognized that the Gibeonites were not the only ones with marks against them. The Israelites questioned and tested the Gibeonites before making the treaty but failed to "ask the Lord what to do." As a result of that shortcoming, the Israelite leaders had the honor to not rack up extra demerits, but turn the tables and act with honor despite the treachery. Thus;

"The Israelites did not attack those cities, because they had made a promise to them before the Lord God of Israel." Josh 9:18

I fear that the magnificent art of honor has been largely ousted in our current age by the despicable idol of self justification. I think back to the times I have been affected by dishonesty. How easy to argue *my* case and *my* righteousness while I rant and rave on the other person's failure and treachery. What a shame. This low down whining and justifying leaves no space for me to recognize the situation as an opportunity for me to be a person of honor. I'm sorry it has taken me this long to see the opportunity for what it is, my prayer is that I will rise to the occasion the next time opportunity arises (which of course, I am not hoping will be soon :D ).

No comments: