Sometimes I am plagued by nagging concerns or second guesses that our personal choices and priorities somehow make me less effective in the bigger picture of life and ministry. We choose to make it a priority to train our children *in* the home, to choose quality time over quantity of activity. As I watch others in their weekly busyness and variety of activity I sometimes wonder if I am less effective for the kingdom merely because I am less "out there" in the world. I don't run into lots of people walking my kids to school or taking my kids to skating, hockey or dance class. It's easy to think I might be missing some important opportunity in all that busyness for someone who needs a word of encouragement or exhortation.
I know this is silly. If someone has a need, God is going to orchestrate a way to meet it through one of His people, and that doesn't have to be me!!! At the same time, in being home, and being steady, I am a predictable place/person for people to approach in their time of need. I'm here to answer the phone when my neighbour calls, to take care of kids and needs when emergencies arise, to reply to those heart to heart emails, to have the coffee on and baking in the freezer for most any moment of any day a friend/neighbour calls. It amazes me how Satan can make me feel ineffective or "less" because I spend the majority of my time at home when actually this is what scripture exhorts a woman to do! This morning I was greatly encouraged by two different passages that confirmed and solidified my life choices and wiped away any guilt or fear that plagued me (for the moment at least, isn't it sad how quickly we forget?) regarding being a "lesser" person in the kingdom picture. The first one was is one I know by heart but the "good workers at home "; (also translated as keepers at home, busy in the home) especially stood out to me this morning.
"Then they can teach the young women (I still consider myself young ;-) ) to love their husbands and children, to be wise and pure, to be good workers at home, to be kind and to yield to their husbands." Titus 2:5
The second was in the kids bible reading this morning. It was the story of Deborah and Barak going off to fight Sisera in the book of Judges. Again, a familar passage to me, but I was literally speechless at the climax of the story as the facts surrounding Sisera's demise hit me in a whole new light. He took refuge in the tent of Jael, who was at home, alone tending to her daily duties. Home just happened to be the right place at the right time for God's purpose to be accomplished and Jael, a simple housewife, becomes an unlikely hero of the story. Quietly and effectively fighting the battle, within the confines of her humble abode. Her part in the story places her on par with Barak the mighty warrior who was out there on the battle field in full force with all of his troups and battle array.
That story thrilled me! Lord, use me today, where I am, to serve You as I go about the duties You have given me as a wife and mother, neighbour, friend and spiritual soldier.
4 comments:
Nichole,
I have thought that way to many a time. I think we will be attacked with doubts no matter how we choose to live. I think the life you have made for your family for sure had Gods will and hand involved for your families sake and others. I appreciate you so often and find you a big encouragment. You are real and beautiful in how you live your life. You are adventurous and out in the world sharing your thoughts and convictions more then most people I know. That God has blessed your family so much where you are is so evident to me. Be encouraged that your life your roles as a teacher, mom and wife are a blessing to others and beautiful!
Thank you Becky. Your words are a balm of encouragement, they mean a lot. So are you going to join us in the blogosphere? :D
Please know that in the few weeks since I stubbled across your site you have broken through years of disappointment, struggles, and uncertainty for me and helped me to remember what kind of wife and mother I had always wanted to be. I am hearing my heart beat again. Thank you. Your spirit and encouragement to other moms is immeasurable. You may be less "out there", but you are more "in" your readers hearts, and those whom they care for, than you know. God always has bigger and better plans for us than we can ever imagine for ourselves. You are doing the right thing.
C-Mom, thank you so much for your words of encouragement and blessing. Your words touched me so deeply I couldn't even respond when I first read them last night. I am so thankful if God can use me in any small way to be an encouragement to other women as I walk the path He has paved for me. For me it is also a blessing to hear feedback from all the women who comment on this blog about their experiences and convictions, trials and triumphs. It's a wonderfully encouraging thing.
Blessings upon you!
Post a Comment