Saturday, November 24, 2007

Who Killed the Jerky?


This week the kids have been enjoying the first batch of venison jerky of the season. They love that stuff more than chocolate and candy. Not a bad thing! Prairie Son-shine I was just gnawing away at a strip when he queried;

"Mommy, right Daddy killed the Jerky?"

"The deer?" I ask as I fold my laundry.

"No. The Jerky."

Me: "Daddy killed the deer..."

Prairie Son-shine: "Well, who killed the Jerky?"

"What's a Jerky?" Yes, I'm one of those sadistic mothers who loves to turn their questions back on them.

Prairie Son-shine: silent for a contemplative moment. "Huh." he grunts. "I thought it was a Turkey."

I think in his head at that moment he connected the sequence of

Daddy skinned a buck
Daddy cut and ground meat from a buck
and Daddy made Jerky from the meat from the buck.

No Turkey was injured in the making of the Jerky.

2 comments:

Chris said...

yes... the intense thoughts of our little men... love it!!

how are the football rules coming???

Unknown said...

I think we pretty much "followed", although there was a lot of "now, that's what you are *not* supposed to do comments in the first and most of the second quarter...." it was fun! Was Dave away over the weekend?