Friday, October 23, 2009

Auschwitz Horrors

We are getting lots of glimpses into hell on earth as we study WWII. I learned something new today. Why shave the hair off of the people you are just going to gas and cremate? I always just assumed it was to prevent lice and other atrocities in the bunkers, but there is another very disturbing element involved here that I had never heard before. The hair was shaved off of ALL the prisoners, even those that were in line for immediate extermination and the hair was not disposed of, it was used for a practical purpose that about chilled the blood in my veins. Any ideas what?

4 comments:

Berry Girl said...

wigs? pillow stuffing?

This is interesting, because I JUST picked up a new book at the airport. I wasn't going to buy it, because I had a feeling that it would be gut wrenching, but I couldn't put it down. It's about the round up of the Jews in Paris by the French police when they were all crammed into the Vélodrome d'Hiver before being shipped off to the camps and executed. I believe it happened during the German occupation, but it was the French authorities who did the rounding up.
Apparently, France's *worst* moment during the war.

Manic Mom said...

My thought was to sell for wigs or used in blankets/clothes.

Prairie Chick said...

They used the hair as insulation in the submarines and fighter jets they were constructing for the war.

sincere said...

pretty disgusting what man does to man/hell on earth