Monday, November 19, 2007

Comings and Goings


I got away on an overnight craft retreat with some girlfriends this weekend. The first time I have been away alone overnight since Prairie Girl was born almost 9 years ago. That's not a martyr-like comment, truly, I never wanted to be away overnight alone, and even this time, although I was hugely looking forward to two days of no responsibility and just "hangin'" with the girls and our scrapbook projects, the "going" was not easy! Whoever said "parting is such sweet sorrow" , well for me, sweet was rather absent from the occasion.

My dear friend and I both commented on the drive out how it was a bitter sweet experience though. The anticipation of "alone" time did not outweigh the "rock of parting" as we aptly named it, that sat in our chests as we drove away from our loved ones. I had a great time with my friends, and had a lot of fun scrapping, but we were very happy and light hearted when 9:00 rolled around the second evening and we started packing up the truck to head for home.

What a joy to come home to sleepy heads beaming blurry eyed smiles from their beds as I went to kiss them. All except The Rugrat who didn't stir from his heavy slumber. He delighted me the next morning with the familiar pitter patter of little slippered feet coming from his room to ours and three successive little good morning kisses on the back of my hand which was hanging over the side of the mattress. Ah, there is no greater joy.

I'll take the coming over the going anyday.

3 comments:

Chris said...

hmmm... I can't quite relate on this one... I'm too human/selfish to not appreciate the release of responsibility for two nights, the extended sleep, the bliss of waking at 12 minutes to TEN am, and not having to prepare meals or clean them up! On Sunday I taste the sweet joy of realizing I DO miss those soft cheeks, warm bodies and tender stories. I love how I get ambushed by the eagerness of getting to be Mom again. It's a cherished break that returns me to the focus of all that I love.

Unknown said...

Don't worry, you're normal :D I'm not sure why, but I never lose that eagerness of getting to be a mom, and don't really ever feel I get sidetracked from the focus of all that I love, (except of course for those moments of absolute insanity, but even those pass quickly... usually!). For me, it more feels like a separation from my focus rather than something that brings me nearer my focus, if that makes any sense. But despite all of that I had a GREAT time and I WILL be going again in february :D

Unknown said...

Hey, maybe part of it is because I get to sleep in every morning anyway :P.... but yeah, the not having to cook and clean part was dreamy.... so was coming home to a spotless house, which would have been a real downer if I had to do three days of catch up for 2 days of leisure... oh, I love that husband of mine!