Monday, March 10, 2008

Monkey See-Monkey Do

My Most Recent Musings on the Matters of Marriage, Motherhood and Ministry.



Bringing Up *Girls*.

“A girl mimics her mother’s attitudes, contentedness with herself, optimism, strength, wisdom, patience, gentleness, and sense of humor. Developing these positive qualities is your role. Take a mental measurement of yourself. What you transmit affects what she sees in herself. Remember, a big pair of eyes is watching you.” From; Girls! William and Kathryn Beausay.

Gulp. I’ve been mulling over this for a few days now. Motherhood… so beautiful and soft and dreamy on the one hand, and a mountain of responsibility on the other. Oh Lord, only by Your grace, only in YOUR strength, Lord I come. Equip me with the fruits of Your spirit so that YOU and Your beauty overflow from within this broken vessel of my life, pouring out in abundant rivers of blessing to touch and transform the lives of these precious treasures you have entrusted to my care this and every week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi
I read a comment you left on Amy's blog where you said you've had ten pregnancies, five of which were miscarriages. I have had six pregnancies, three of which were miscarriages, and I was wondering if yours were early miscarriages and how they were interspersed with the other pregnancies. Mine are always early and my first pregnancy was a miscarriage, my second my son was born, my third was another miscarriage, my fourth my daughter was born, my fifth another miscarriage, and I am currently on pregnancy six, and 8 weeks along, which is past when I've previously miscarried. I am wondering if there could be some reason for why the second pregnancy continues. But so far I've never met anyone else who has experienced that. I am hoping you wouldn't mind letting me know how that has gone for you. God Bless
Tarina

Unknown said...

Hi Tarina! I'm happy to share my experiences in this area, but I will tell you upfront that I don't have any really clear "diagnosis" or answers, just best guesses and suppositions.

My first miscarriage (first pregnancy) was at 11 weeks and counting. I miscarried on August 4th of 1998 and our first daughter was born on August 3rd of 1999.

In my following miscarriages (one between each living child) they were all between 4-8 weeks from conception (which would be 6-10 weeks gestation from last menstrual cycle). With my 2nd, third, and fourth children, I was always pregnant within a month of miscarrying. My first miscarriage was a *difficult* one, physically speaking, but the other ones were more comparable to the discomfort experience during heavy cycles.

With each of my miscarriages I was very conscious that the "timing" was off (considerably off) for conception. We're talking 5-7 days into my cycle and I have a clockwork cycle. I have also taken Natural Family Planning classes and KNOW that I was "high and dry" if you know what I mean, all the evidence pointed to it *not* being fertile mertyle days.... but nonetheless I got pregnant.

This, paired with the consistent miscarriages causes me to suspect that I most likely have a double ovulation, but that not all factors are "together" in the early ovulation (ie. the fertilized egg is somehow not embedding properly in the uteral lining or something of the sort). resulting in early miscarriage.

That's my best guess, and it's seemed to confirm itself over the years... not sure if that will help you or not.

I will pray for you, I understand the mixed bag of emotions/hopes/worries you are most likely feeling! Getting through that first ultrasound and hearing good news is always such a wonderful and uplifting experience. Do you have it booked yet?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the prompt response. It definately sounds like you've had the same experience as me. Except that I haven't noticed anything different around the time of conception. But then I wasn't exactly sure what you meant. :) Is it that you think you conceived on a dry day or that you ovulated on a different day then usual. I have studied some NFP as well, and usually know when I can conceive.

What my question has been, is if there is some reason that the miscarriage is making it possible for the next pregnancy to continue. So far I haven't found any information to support my theory, and you are the first person I've found who has had the same thing happen. I'm currently trying to see if I can find anyone else who has miscarried between each living child because I have an appointment with an obstetritian next week and I am hoping to be able to look into what might be causing this.

I've already had an early ultrasound to date the pregnancy (I'm breastfeeding my little girl still, so my periods are irregular, and they don't like to go on when I think I conceived :) ) It showed that baby is 7 weeks gestation and the heart was beating good and strong. So I am very hopeful that I will hold this baby in my arms. I am due the end of October and very excited.

Hope all goes well for you with adjusting to your new little one. Are you due soon? The birth of a new baby is so amazing!

Tarina

Unknown said...

I meant both in a way. That I conceived on dry days with a closed cervix, as early as the day after menstruation, this leading me to suspect I have a double ovulation, one occuring very early on in my cycle and the other at the normal mid-cycle point. I suspect the first would allow the release of and fertilization of an egg, but not allow proper imlantation something else further down (up? hee hee) the road.

About your question about the miscarriage contributing to a positive pregnancy, I really would think that we be against the odds, but I really couldn't say one way or the other.

This little jigger is due in the beginning of May... so near yet so far. I'm sorry I can't be of more help, I just kind of roll with the punches and wasn't too concerned about having testing or analyzing what was happening too much, but I would be interested to hear what you find out, please keep me posted!