Thursday, March 6, 2008

Speeding

Raw and Uncensored, Because I'm Truly Curious What Others Think (and Not Because I Like to Make People Squirm!)



Speeding. Huh. What's with that anyway? I don't understand. Have tried to talk about this with my pastor, with elders, with passionate christian people, and it's a subject that causes people to shuffle their feet, make little jokes about and try as quickly as possible to change the subject.

Seems pretty straightforward to me.... there's a law, it sets down a MAXIMUM speed for public safety, it's my duty as a believer, striving to live a life above reproach, to not break the law, right? Am I missing something? I don't see any "gray" area here...

So let's get down and dirty...

Do you speed (habitually)?

Do you feel convicted about it, why or why not?

Do you justify it? (ie- it's just a guideline, they won't give you a ticket if you are not going more than 10 km over the limit, or "even cops speed", or "they set the bar lower than they expect you to drive, knowing people are going to break it.")

It disturbs me to see a vehicle go ripping past me on the freeway with a "My Boss is a Carpenter" or fish symbol on the bumper. All I can think about the message being sent is; "I'm a follower of Jesus, I break the law."

I know there is a really tacky joke out there somewhere; something about a speeding drunk and a punch line along the lines of "Don't worry bout me, I've got Jesus riding shotgun..." and I *also* know there is a bumper sticker out there that reads "no man with a good car needs to be justified." Ugh.

Thoughts?

photo: Debbie Schiel

3 comments:

Mac an Rothaich said...

Yah, I don't like the speeding thing. I just think of how scarey it looks when I am going the limit and someone goes past like a blur... doesn't really save a lot of time anyhow and if it causes an accident then you will be way behind. I don't mind sharing that I think we should follow the limit and keep it that simple.

Rae said...

I would have to agree, the law is the law, and there should be no gray areas for anyone. I just want to feel safe when my family is on the road

Unknown said...

Hey! Are you "my" Rae?? Welcome "in"!!!!