Friday, March 14, 2008

Frugal Groceries


Striving to be Good Stewards of the Gifts He Has Given.

So, in response to the question "what kind of things do you do to be frugal with meals and groceries"...

In the grocery department, I am not as careful as I once was (since we became mortgage free I have a little more flexibility in this area of the budget) but I will share the things I find really help cut grocery costs. I realize that many of these things might be disappointing to city dwellers, as we live in the country and therefore have more options to "finding" and "growing" our own produce and meat.

-my husband is an avid hunter/fisher, so deer provides all the ground meat and sausage we need for the year, and I *rarely* buy fish at the store (although this winter was meager in the ice fishing department...) He also hunts duck and geese but I have yet to learn to master the culinary arts of making a palatable dish out of these wild tasting critters, so if anyone has any recipes or advice, bring them on!

-we raise our own lambs and hope to get our first steer this year, and also have plans to start raising rabbits in lieu of chickens (can't stand the smell of chicken poop and rabbit is more popular than chicken in Italy so we learned to actually prefer it to chicken meat).

-I buy my chickens whole and in bulk from Costco, then boil/shred/freeeze them after purchase in meal size packages.

-We have been blessed in that even when we lived in town we had abundant fruit growing on our yard (rhubarb, raspberries, saskatoon berries, cherries, plums and crabapples), and here on the farm it is even better. So I freeze fruit as it ripens, and then make jam and juice and use all of our own fruit for desserts and preserves.

-We love gardening, so most of our vegetables are covered in the summer, fall and most of the winter. I am back to buying from the store now, everything except potatoes, carrots and onions and I still have some frozen swiss chard and zucchini.

-I do all my own baking, never buy store bought cookies or processed junk like that (except Dorito's for nacho's that is!) for the most part.

-I buy pretty much all my staples at Costco, yeah, you need to be organized with storage but it does save me quite a bit in the long run. When I am sticking to staples (not getting sucked in by all their temting pre-packaged goodies), I find it is comparable to shopping cheap no name brands in other stores but Costco quality is SO great, you are getting much better for less.

-We eat salad with almost every meal. It is a cheap and healthy way to round out any meal. I try to have a starch, protein, veggie and green salad with each meal, when you have a balanced meal you seem to need less, can't explain this, but I've found it to be true. A meat portion the size of your palm, a tight fist of starchy carbs (potatoes, rice, pasta) or loose fist quantity of healthy carbs (green/yellow/orange veggies), and as much salad as you like is a good balance, then a fruit for dessert or evening snack if we have a sweet tooth.

-Having a menu plan with a coordinating grocery list helps a lot. You know what you need and only buy that. You use what you buy and don't lose money to waste.

-Alot of money is thrown away on food gone bad. Doing a half hour of pre-prep and packaging when I get back from the grocery store helps alot with curbing waste. If I need to buy onions from the store, I run the whole bag through the food processor when I get home and freeze them in ziploc baggies, I buy fresh peppers in bulk and throw them in the freezer, pull them out one at a time as I need them and nuke them for a minute before chopping them up and throwing them in whatever I'm making. Fresh Tomatoes can be done the same way. I am not a big canner, but I LOVE my freezers. I buy Romaine lettuce in six packs but then individually wrap them in saran wrap, and throw them in the crisper, they last longer this way.

-I make my own spaghetti sauce and salad dressings (recipes are under "keeper of my kitchen" label).

To be fully honest, I am not as frugal as I could be anymore, I used to make our own breakfasts (oatmeal, cream of wheat, fruit pancakes and waffles, muffins, etc) This saves alot of money but is more time consuming, and in my current stage of life I mostly opt out for buying prepared breakfast stuff (cereal/toast)just so that my mornings can be more relaxed.. I do suffer from guilt in this department though and would like to get back to making homemade hot breakfasts.

I am also not one to skimp on certain things, I buy Tropicana orange juice in bulk and try to buy all fresh cooler veggies rather than frozen. Granted, I pick and choose what is on for a good price, we keep it pretty simple, lots of steamed broccoli/cauliflower, green beans, carrots, squash... also, we buy alot of fruit, my kids can take fruit whenever they want without asking. I find that saving in the other ways pays off in being able to stock up on fresh fruits and veggies.

That's all that's coming to mind right now, feel free to pick my brain with more questions... This has gotten long so I'll make a new entry about the clothes, which will be short and sweet!

9 comments:

Mac an Rothaich said...

Good advice, all stuff I remember my mom doing. I have city friends laugh at me when I show them the new easy way I make my own salsa or spagetti sauce but I find my way has way less additives too so I love it. I have gotten pretty lazy too since we moved to the city but I know a lot of that is needing to get my heart back into it.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! I am the one that asked you the questions and all I can say is WOW and shame on me for not relying more on God! That was exactly what I needed! God is good! Like I said I have 3 little ones..dd 6 ds 3 and dd 13 months, I am quilty for not relying on God like I should. Shame on me! I am in awe, this is just what I needed today. By the way nice to meet you! I am from Tennessee. Love love love your blog! You have opened my eyes to the Bible in several areas! Jesus promises to meet our needs and he never fails. We have never went hungry or naked! I love interacting with other good christian women.
anyways..I can be long winded also sorry..do you have any good recipes? I am trying to think of things that I have that might be a good tip for you! Honestly I feel intimadated! LOL I have been saved for 16 years now and God gets sweeter everyday! Do you have any with allergies or asthma? I have two with both.

Anonymous said...

Oh one more thing! I forgot do you bake your own bread? If so what are your recipes?
thanks!

Unknown said...

Wow anon. I'm so touched and pleased that you have been blessed here, that blesses me! But don't feel intimidated by me in ANY way, I am just your typical-spread thin-all too human-babysteppin'-wife-momma-and-child-of-God. I sometimes feel intimidated by other women in ways I fall short but hey, I remind myself that none of us can "do it all" at least not all at once.

My plan is to share my favourite/simple/economic recipes here (I'm fairly new to this whole blogging experience, lovin' it, and trying to find a balanced groove), and have been trying to add one most fridays; I will try to add a new one sometime soon.

And no, I don't bake my own bread, and it's one of those things I don't worry about right now. I spend about 10.00 a week on bread and I figure the time and electricity to actually make and bake my own just doesn't equal a savings at this busy point in my life. Some day... maybe???

Allergies, Mr. Marvelous is lactose intollerant but not excessively so, he can have some in moderation. He and Nate (18 mo) have switched over to soy beverages. We are currently investigating Nate having possible food allergies or intolerance, we have tried non dairy for two weeks but it hasn't changed anything, I am now starting to be concerned he may be intolerant to gluten, which would be a nightmare for me... He has never had a solid bowel movement, ever. He will go for blood work in a few weeks to test for gluten intolerance.

Mr. M also has severe hay fever and pollen/dust related allergies, but switching to chemical free cleaning/bath products has pretty much elliminated his need to be on any kind of medication (which at one point he was spending 10 out of 12 months on regular perscription medication).

So a little, but nothing severe so far, I pray Nate does not have celiac's disease as that would be a HUGE life change in the food department...

Mac an Rothaich said...

Nichole, I have a pal whose youngest daughter has celiac disease. She lives near me in the city and I grew up with her in Flin Flon. She would have great advice for you if it turns out you need some about that. Love your blogs!

Anonymous said...

THANKS SO MUCH! I have 2 that are on 325.00 a month of meds for allergies and asthma and 1 that is on soy(the baby) We are praying that God will have his way with them whether by showing me ways to help prevent these without meds(which i dont like to put so much in my babies) or by blessing us with the medicine and the income to purchase it. Thine will be done!
Do you buy their soy products in bulk? We live closer to a sams then a costco do you know if their is much difference? (by the way it is me again from TN) you are probably tired of me by now!

Unknown said...

Mac- That is encouraging! I will for sure be wanting to hook up with her if we end up on that road, thanks for letting me know!

Anon; wow. That is a lot of perscription meds... yikes. My number one recommendation is to get rid of ALL carpets in your house and go chemical free with the cleaning products (Shaklee or Melaleuca or something like that). We use Melaleuca right now, and while I LOVE their products, I don't like that we have to buy a certain amount of product per month and am actually going to a Shaklee informational meeting on Monday evening to compare.

These two changes have pretty much eliminated perscription meds from my dh's life. He still will have an attack if he is working around dust, or when it's the height of pollination, but it will be a one day attack and all he needs is a bit of nasal spray and he bounces back really well.

I just bought my first flat of soy milk last week, until now we had been buying just a litre at a time of the refrigerated kind for dh. I would think you would get the same kind of prices at Sam's that you would at Costco (Sam's is affiliated with Walmart right?) maybe even better prices from what I've heard.

I'm not tired of you at all, I am delighted that I'm interacting with real people here, it's a blessing for me. I told a friend last night that it is therapeutic for me because it lets me talk "big people talk" when I am home with littler people most of the day.

Mindy said...

what? cup up an onion and then freeze it? really?
and peppers?

Unknown said...

>>what? cup up an onion and then freeze it? really?
and peppers?>>==<<

Yep, for real. I started doing this as my own idea, sauteeing them first and bagging them but then someone told me you don't need to sautee them, just freeze them raw, and it works! I love having the pre-chopped and bagged, means washing the food processor ONCE :D